• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

No Snipe or Dipper for me on the Bourn Brook. Three Kingfisher present. Two next to the blue bridge. One on the lower section. Great again to see one diving.

Last edited:
Gwp calling a free times, a Heron and pair of Bullfinch on the Bourn Brook walkway. One Kingfisher by the concrete block in the early morning mist. Then one up by the blue bridge fishing with another tutting and calling nearby. Great!

I've heard one before and again this morning, a Tawny Owl hooting & screeching on my road, very close to my house at 4.30AM. Great!
(Recent gardens visits; Bullfinch, GSWP, Nuthatch, Chaffinch, LTT & Thrush. Great!)

Dipper & kings

Dipper today at 3.30p.m. fosse way. It was on bourne brook towards the tunnel heading towards student accommodation (Bristol rd-A38) it flew under the tunnel (under the railway ) without pausing. This is only the 2nd time i have spotted it (last time 22nd Dec 16) and check this area regularly. So it can be elusive.
Also kingerfiser flew and perched on an overhanging branch approx. 6 metres away by the blue bridge-highlight of the day, amazing view

As this thread seems to be the place to post general south-central/west Birmingham sightings:

Report of 15+ Waxwing in the Court Oak area of Harborne this morning

Manor Farm Park, Northfield had four Shoveler (1M, 3F) this afternoon.

Last edited:
Dipper today at 3.30p.m. fosse way. It was on bourne brook towards the tunnel heading towards student accommodation (Bristol rd-A38) it flew under the tunnel (under the railway ) without pausing. This is only the 2nd time i have spotted it (last time 22nd Dec 16) and check this area regularly. So it can be elusive.
Also kingerfiser flew and perched on an overhanging branch approx. 6 metres away by the blue bridge-highlight of the day, amazing view
Nice one Ouzel. It's hanging in there and elusive. I have not seen it since those first sightings. Great!

As this thread seems to be the place to post general south-central/west Birmingham sightings:

Report of 15+ Waxwing in the Court Oak area of Harborne this morning

Manor Farm Park, Northfield had four Shoveler (1M, 3F) this afternoon.

I was wondering if any Waxwing were local. Thanks for this. Maybe I'll see some at the weekend.
Same for the Shoveler. Good to hear something different at Manor Farm. There was a Kingfisher on the brook end of last year.
https://flic.kr/p/MLJDX5

Could its re-appearance be due to lower water levels? There seemed to be a fair amount of water in the brook at the weekend, just wondering whether they'd dropped during this week.

Hopefully it'll stick around and I can track it down over the next few days.

I was in the same area yesterday, but no luck. The only bird of note was a Raven.

Des.

Could its re-appearance be due to lower water levels? There seemed to be a fair amount of water in the brook at the weekend, just wondering whether they'd dropped during this week.

Hopefully it'll stick around and I can track it down over the next few days.
When it flew under the tunnel towards the student accommodation, i walked under the rail bridge and just before the student accommodation go left and you will see s small style. Step over it to view the brook. Start by looking here for it then back to both fosse way bridges and onto harborne lane bridge. It's range is probably longer but this stretch with a bit of patience and perseverance should pay off.Good luck.

If anyone hears any news about the waxwings then please update!

When it flew under the tunnel towards the student accommodation, i walked under the rail bridge and just before the student accommodation go left and you will see s small style. Step over it to view the brook. Start by looking here for it then back to both fosse way bridges and onto harborne lane bridge. It's range is probably longer but this stretch with a bit of patience and perseverance should pay off.Good luck.

Apparently the Dipper has been seen in Woodgate Valley, so its range is long.

Des.

Dipper

I managed to photograph the Bourn Brook Dipper this morning looking upstream from near the big pipes. It then flew upstream. Also one Kingfisher in the same area.

Attachments

• Dipper 17 jan 3 (1 of 1).jpg
    Dipper 17 jan 3 (1 of 1).jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 71

Thanks for the tip.

Waxwings reported along Croftdown Road in Harborne at 10am this morning.

Fosse Way to Blue Bridge...2 pm to 3.30..
No Dipper...Kings ...Snipe or Water Rail....lol
But at least 5 Grey Wagtails and loads of non I.D'd LBJ'S.
Cold drizzle and very dark.

Manor Farm Park...1.30pm.
One Male Goosander and 4 Shoveler. ..3 F and 1 M.

And still at 4pm!
Also Green Woodpecker, c40 Canada Geese and a large, very mobile and noisy charm/murder of Magpies - maybe 100 birds?

And, if I was any good at gulls, what could have been a Yellow Legged Gull but was probably just an LBB. Very yellow legs, some but very limited head streaking, bright yellow bill with red spot and an almost white tip. What ID features should I be looking for?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back