• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

woodpigeons help!!!! (1 Viewer)

katie n

hi all,
i hope this is the rightplace to put this question.

i have several woodpigeons coming to my feeders, i really dont mind them coming, in fact i have bought them thier own food, however when that is gone, and im not in to replace it they eat the sunflower seeds and the suet blocks. they scare off the little ones and can eat tons!

so my question is this: has anyone had any experience with woodpigeons and stopping them from eating the other food? i know you can get feeders that will close if a heavy bird perches but they are too big as my "feeding station" is improvised due to only having a flat roof on top a bay window to feed them on. i have no where to hang up anything so they hang off an upturned plant support,

anyway, any ideas as they are literally eating me out of house and home, as the saying goes. i live in the uk, just in case that helps.

thank you
katie.

Hi Katie

I only get one or two Wood Pigeons in the garden, so don't really have a problem with them. However, have you seen window feeders?

I have one of these which attaches to the glass by suckets: http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/window-bird-feeder.html

And two like this one: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=543588

This type are 'suspended' by a plastic thingy, which is an upright with two suckers and at the top a horizontal bar to suspend the feeder from.

I've never had the pigeons try to get to them.... they much prefer to feed from a shed roof or the ground.

I've had wood pigeons try to alight on my window feeder. They scrabble and flap their wings madly in an attempt to get to the seed.

I had the same problem with pigeons, jackdaws and crows. Within 30 minutes of me refilling the feeders, it was all gone.

I solved the problem by following another members suggestion (pic attached) of placing "cages" (2 hanging basket frames) around the feeders. This allowed the smaller birds to feed whilst keeping out the larger ones.

Although I still get a lot of starlings (which I do not mind) this seems to work. The smaller birds get a chance to feed and the food that drops to the floor gets picked up by the bigger birds.

Attachments

• 1778_hanging%20basket%20bird%20haven_jpg-500x0.jpg
    1778_hanging%20basket%20bird%20haven_jpg-500x0.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 102
Thank you agsin for your ideas. Have just tried it, so will see what happens.as you csn hopefyully see i have a wide variety of food, they do make a mess but easy to clean hanging out the window! Well worth it for the close up shots.
I have now got 17 different species coming and bring thier babies too, so really pleased.

Attachments

• 1500136611839.jpg
    1500136611839.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 107
will wood pigeons hang on to net/ sock feeders? ive seen only small birds do that, maybe it would help if you had those instead

will wood pigeons hang on to net/ sock feeders? ive seen only small birds do that, maybe it would help if you had those instead

hi, no i havent seen the pigeos do that either, the only problem with nets at my end is i also have crows and jackdaws. the crows have in the past ripped open the nets on the fat balls and took o0ff with the whole ball in one go, the jackdaws have made a hole in the peanut bag too, so although it would be great for the pigeons my other "diners" would spoil it. thank you for your suggestion thou.

on a good note as you can see from the pic earlier i have tried the hanging basket idea and there has been some little birds eating, not seen them b ut the seed is slowly going down so it seems to be working.

katie

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back