• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife painting courses (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
What wildlife (or specifically birds) painting courses would anyone suggest? I can draw, but my painting skills are rusty to say the least and I would like to do a course sometime in 2007.
Any suggestions?

Cheers
VB

Sorry VB - I mentioned perhaps getting something local to you (I also hinted that I would be running some next year during the spring and summer - but that will be Orkney-based). I personally would have thought that BF would be the ideal place to advertise such a course - if anyone's running one. I tried to get some info re. how to advertise on BF (cost-effectively, of course) but I haven't had a reply back, yet - so when my courses run, Idon't actually know where I'll advertise (other than my website).
Did you look in the RSPBs 'Birds' magazine? - The classifieds have loads of stuff!
Good luck.

Perhaps you could consider a life drawing class? I know its not wildlife sketching, however a good life drawing instructor will help greatly with sketching fundementals and will certainly be of value in a broader context.
Also I would strongly recomend a book called "Drawing on the left side of the brain" by Betty Edwards, an absolute classic. Practically a drawing course in itself, jammed full of eye opening exercises, incredibly imaginative and would also be a huge aid...
Hope this helps a little...

Ok, thanks guys. I'm trying to find something that runs when I'm not working (not as easy as it sounds) or that I can do on vacation or something.

Why not check out amazon.com for instruction books on painting? There are quite a few in print. Also check out your local library for painting books. Do a teach yourself course using whatever books you like. It can be free if you use the library for your books!

timeshadowed said:
Why not check out amazon.com for instruction books on painting? There are quite a few in print. Also check out your local library for painting books. Do a teach yourself course using whatever books you like. It can be free if you use the library for your books!

A good idea..

Some are better than others,the worst of them always seem to be based on the method of ''look how easy I make it look,now you try''!

Maybe I just picked up a bad'n,none of them,however good they are will ever come close to the real ''tuter/pupil'' experiance which I think VBirder is after.

Makes me wish i'd have payed more attention to my old art teacher at school,a lady of great knowledge and dignity,sadly beyond the appreciation of most 14 year olds.

Great website btw VBirder

Matt

Last edited:
Betty Edwards, Cyclopedia, etc.

VB - Betty Edward's book and video are a must (Amazon):

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain; Seven Lessons to Enhance Creativity and Artistic Self-Confidence by Bay Area Video Coalition and Betty Edwards (VHS Tape)

And you will enjoy the study of comparative anatomy in this one - great for mammals - not strong on birds, but some wonderful detail of layer by layer anatomy for artists:

Cyclopedia Anatomicae by Gyorgy Fehér and András Szunyoghy (available in paperback this year)

Embace all stumbles as you go, and be sure to photograph and videotape your own progress at regular intervals.

Enjoy every minute of it - best way in the world to freeze time is to render it. Colored pencils are your first best friends. - Bob

Vectis Birder said:
Ok, thanks guys. I'm trying to find something that runs when I'm not working (not as easy as it sounds) or that I can do on vacation or something.

VB - The Quay Arts Centre in Newport run art classes now and again, or maybe you could advertise there for a tutor.

All the best

If you only could buy one book on bird drawing, buy this one:

Drawing Birds by John Busby

Paperback: 144 pages.
Publisher: Christopher Helm Publishers Ltd (19 Jul 2004).
ISBN: 0713668164.
RRP: £19.99 (much cheaper off amazon).

For those wishing to capture the essence of birds and giving great advice techniques and even how to study birds in order to draw them. This is also a lovely book in it’s own right even if you don’t intend to draw! Many examples of works in different styles of drawing/painting by many famous bird artists. I wouldn't be without this one. In fact I've even got the first edition hardback that John signed for me also!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back