• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a no brainer to me...If the V means VERY,seems like You have a deal...Get them ,Try them ,and If you dont like them, Ebay them

Not certain (yet!) how big the V in very should be - but my ELs were significantly cheaper than a used pair - so got to be worth a look!:smoke:

You may want to try and compare the Bushnell 7x26 Elite E2,( formerly known as the Bausch & Lomb 7x26 Audubon Custom).

Of course I had to snoop about for the price and found a return at the Amazon warehouse for $152. Couldn't resist and was curious how these and the Papilio 6.5x21 compared. The Elite won't be able to close focus to 18", but 7' isn't the end of the world and along w/ED 26mm glass it should perform nicely.

Amazon throws that out there as the 8/10x42 Elite is ED and listed as such on the Bushnell website. I didn't notice and only quoted Amazon,

A 60 plus year masterwork of ruggedness, clarity and light transmission, our Elite binoculars represent the pinnacle of optical performance for today's outdoor enthusiast. Want bright? Fully multi-coated and featuring XTR technology, our advanced fusion hybrid lens system delivers 99.7% light transmission per lens. The result is unmatched edge to edge clarity, contrast and color true imagery pushed to the highest levels with the use of premium ED Prime glass. For clarity in the foulest conditions, our patented RainGuard(R) HD coating eliminates lens fogging, boosts brightness and scatters moisture even faster than the original RainGuard. The view is unbelievable, the technology is unmistakably Bushnell. Features twist-up eyecups fully multi-coated including ED Prime glass and Bak-4 prisms. Comfort neck strap and custom-molded case is included. Also features standard size class with a center focus system.

Problem being that I didn't realize is the reverse porros don't include XTR technology, ED glass nor are they waterproof. I get the rainguard HD.

I should watch the Amazon descriptions more carefully in the future and check them against Manufacturers specs.

I also own a Papilio and can't say it is compact, being so much thicker than the Bushnell.
But OTOH it fits my large hands quite well.
It also suffers from a quite low transmission, most likely because it's not fully multi-coated.

//L

I'm not that knowledgeable, but I found this.

Pentax webstore: High-quality BaK4 prisms for maximum illumination in low light
Fully multi-coated optics reduce glare and harmful UV rays while providing maximum light transmission and color quality

6.5x21 [3.23EP]--relative brightness 10.2[actually 10.43]--- 4.5 x 4.3 x 2.2 -10.2oz- fov-393

8.5x21 [2.47EP] --relative brightness 6.3[6.1 actually]-- 4.6 x 4.3 x 2.2 -10.2oz- fov-315
----------------
e2 7x26 [3.7 EP] --relative brightness 13.79--fov 363 - 12oz-claims compact, yet no dimensions listed.

Last edited:
I'm not that knowledgeable, but I found this.

Pentax webstore: High-quality BaK4 prisms for maximum illumination in low light
Fully multi-coated optics reduce glare and harmful UV rays while providing maximum light transmission and color quality

6.5x21 [3.23EP]--relative brightness 10.2[actually 10.43]--- 4.5 x 4.3 x 2.2 -10.2oz- fov-393

8.5x21 [2.47EP] --relative brightness 6.3[6.1 actually]-- 4.6 x 4.3 x 2.2 -10.2oz- fov-315
----------------
e2 7x26 [3.7 EP] --relative brightness 13.79--fov 363 - 12oz-claims compact, yet no dimensions listed.

Specifications may have changed lately, and it would definitely do them good.
I have heard they're not FMC and they are less bright than one could expect from their 3.2 mm exit pupil (6.5x21).

Dimensions should be the same, and 2.2 inch/ 56 mm height is a bit thick, they become too unproportional to be considered truly compact.

I don't hate them, they hold their own and excel for close viewing. But I can't say they are a marvel for general use.

//L

There's no ED glass in any of Bushnell's reverse porros--they don't need it. I've had the 7x26 Elite E2 for a month or two, and I have to say it's probably now my favorite compact. Bright, sharp, great color and contrast, EASY eye placement. It is a bit heavy, something like 13.5 ounces, despite Bushnell's claim of 12. A bit more curvature than I like, but you can't have everything.

Overall I kinda like it better than the Leica 8x20 UV, although at 7x you give up a bit of detail. Eye placement makes up for it.

The new Elite case is nice, but very big. Luckily, you can put the Bushnell in any 25mm reverse porro case--the cheap Olympus 8x25 Tracker case for instance.

Mark

Yes, it is heavy for its size. If i remember correctly, under the slightly rubbered polycarbonate shell and seals there is metal, hence the mass.

Actually, I don't see any polycarbonate. It appears to be magnesium through and through, with partial rubber armoring over that. So it is a little heavy for its size. But geez, it is a good little bin! Remarkable glare control. This one might be the one to end the search for compacts.

Mark

Well, I'll find out soon enough on the 7x26 Elite E2. I'm also checking on some discontinued in 2007 8x24 roofs that appear a little shy in ER, but for 110 clams, evah so roughly, might be a decent build that came out of Japan.

FOV. Ft. @1000 Yds.: 328 Eye Relief (in.): 12.8 Exit Pupil: 3.0 Minimum Focus (ft.): 8.5 Coatings: Fully-Multi Length: 3.875 Weight (oz.): 8.5 Finish: Black Rubber Relative Brightness: 9.0 Twlight Factor: 14

Prism Type: Roof (Phase Coated) Waterproof

I went for 8x56 Hawke Pro-Stalk ED. (attach smiley here)

They are pretty compact for a 56mm.

I actually think I would take them traveling and even hiking. Bet they'd be fun in a concert or stadium.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say that, never mind be serious about actually doing it. I can't seem to part myself from them. They have thrown my binocular view on its head but then again I don't have my 10x32 Leica back yet.

I used to miss my Nikon HGL 8x20 but not anymore.

It made me take a look at the Hawke Compact.
http://www.deben.com/hawke-binoculars/frontier-compact.html

The 8x would appear to have a narrower fov than the 10x? Maybe they have the info the wrong way around.

Has anyone had the opportunity to try these Hawke Compact.

If they are as good relatively as my big 56 then I think I would go for one in fact I might anyway just to try them. 8 or 10 hmmm probably 8x since my Leica are 10x.

Last edited:
"There's no ED glass in any of Bushnell's reverse porros--they don't need it."

Be that as it may, it wouldn't hurt at the price the big B is asking to have ED glass as a marketing/selling tool if nothing else.

Couldn't hurt.

Another to throw into the ring which should arrive at the hacienda this week.

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1203036878&expanded=t&cat_id=21&id=90

SIII is Sightrons top of the line and this compact was manufactured in Japan 2004-2007.

It's light, 8.5oz and has a wider than some, but not others 328' FOV. Waterproof/phase & FMC along w/lifetime warranty. All that in a 8x24 for around a C-note sounded as the siren's song I couldn't resist.

The rep said they originally listed for $408 and sold for around 300. Time will tell I suppose.

Hmm. The oculars look small--hard to believe it really has 13mm eye-relief even given the fairly narrow FOV. Hard to believe that pricing too (seems high for that era--they'd have to have been pretty special to sell for that to anyone who compared them to the competition).

--AP

Skeptical myself, howevah I can only relay what Steven at Sightron HQ said to me over the phone. At 300 clams I can see why they had plenty of left-overs. Especially, as you mentioned previously, given the nature of competition in the compact arena and no name recognition.
I'd think that Sightron would've liquidated all the NOS compact bins inventory some time ago. Obviously, they didn't do well in that venture as they no longer manufacture a compact, yet still I'm interested in what a hundred clams brings compared to their claims.

If you are "quite taken by the Swaovsky [sic] 8 x 20s" and can buy one at a reasonable price, I think you've answered your own question, but I can understand you wanting to know if there are better choices. Seems like the Big Four compacts each have their followers for different reasons.

Here are some user reviews of the 8x20 Swaro:

http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=123

I can't hold compact roofs steady even at 8x, too little weight and too little "real estate" for my hands, and they also give me tunnel vision with their smallish FsOV. I have an 8x23 Nikon Venturer compact porro. Bigger than compact roofs and a bit heavier, but still not as easy and satisfying to use as my 8x30 EII.

I think if I were looking for a compact today, I'd buy a Bushnell 7x26 reverse porro. According to Stephen Ingraham, it beats the alphas (also some good info on the pluses and minuses of compacts):

http://betterviewdesired.com/compact-binoculars-bvd.php

I'm surprised no-one, particularly Dennis, has mentioned the Swaro 8x30 CL - a "compact" bin in a midsized format.

The CL is small and lightweight but not too lightweight to give you the DTs like compacts, and the horseshoe body design allows you to wrap your fingers around the barrels.

Not optically on par with your full sized alpha, from what Dennis and others have said, but then neither are any of the compacts.

The advantage is that the CL will hold up better year round than a true compact roof due to its 10mm larger aperture. The CL has been lauded as being bright for a midsized roof, and you get a 56* AFOV vs. 51* for the compact.

When you consider that a Swaro 8x20 costs almost as much as the 8x30 CL, I can't see preferring the compact except for special purpose such as concerts or outdoor sporting events.

Brock

Last edited:
Leica Ultravid BR 8x20 Binocular BINOCULARS with CASE LEICA USA WARRANTY!!!

Item condition: Manufacturer refurbished

Time left: 4h 35m 44s (Nov 08, 201120:50:32 PST)

Bid history: 2 bids[Refresh bidhistory]

Current bid: US $455.00

ETA:46m 34s (Nov 08, 201120:50:32 PST)

Bid history: 10 bids[Refresh bidhistory]

Current bid: US $511.11

That Zeiss is looking better & better to me.

---

Bid history: 17 bids

Winning bid: US $582.31

Last edited:
Then there is the Zeiss 8 x 30 which is now on sale by Eagle Optics for $569.00. These are new, not refurbs.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back