• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

Lurgangreen Geese

Lots of geese today at Lurgangreen. A Barnacle and the Canada Goose among the 1500+ Brent Geese. About 650 Greylag on the marsh was the highest I have had in a while.A total of 64 Pink-footed Geese on the marsh and in the fields. Just one Greenland White front in the fields. There was a Merlin hunting over the marsh also.

At Blackrock the striking looking Eastern Jackdaw was giving good views but there were just 3 Twite, which were rather elusive.

Juvenile Crossbill

This juvenile crossbill seen yesterday would, i think, indicate local breeding.
(crossbills can breed as early as feb.) photo was distant & heavily cropped

Attachments

• Crossbill 0515f2.jpg
    Crossbill 0515f2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 61
A guy called me yesterday with a story about a turtle dove coming to gardens behind lumpers - no time to check it out but guy seemed fairly sure - it was with a lfock of collared doves - said he'd call back if he saw it again.

Chiffer singing in garden this morning, along with a fairly good dawn chorus...song thrush, blackbird, robin, dunnock, finches and wren in full song

15 magpies in a group here in Castlebellingham this afternoon , is that unusual ?

A parliament of magpies - it may be because a dominant territory holder has died or is injured/getting old. In this case the non-breeding magpies gather to decide who will take over the territory - often the territory holder will stand them off and win, other times he is driven off in a huge chase of mkagpies over the fields!

pos spoonbills

A parliament of magpies - it may be because a dominant territory holder has died or is injured/getting old. In this case the non-breeding magpies gather to decide who will take over the territory - often the territory holder will stand them off and win, other times he is driven off in a huge chase of mkagpies over the fields!

Yesterday at 6pm on leaving work no bins i saw what at first seemed like 2little egrets but were flying alot faster and had their necks straight out not tucke vird in .Could not get proper views they were going east towards soldiers point so anyone in the area keep an eye out.

Meadow Pipits are back this year (never came last year ?) and are performing their wonderous song flight, behind the pen factory on the Finbar industrial Est. And now I'm able to pan across and watch them more closely using my new little 6x30 yosemites.

A guy called me yesterday with a story about a turtle dove coming to gardens behind lumpers - no time to check it out but guy seemed fairly sure - it was with a lfock of collared doves - said he'd call back if he saw it again.

Chiffer singing in garden this morning, along with a fairly good dawn chorus...song thrush, blackbird, robin, dunnock, finches and wren in full song

Where is Lumpers? If I can get directions, I might be able to have a look tomorrow....

bean geese

hi all
lurgangreen: saw 1 greenland white-fronted goose, pink-footed geese, greylag geese, brent geese a canada goose and 2 tundra bean geese
salterstown: 2 gannets

Was there a short toed lark seen at Baltray today. I thought I saw it on irish birding but its gone now. I'm heading out tomorrow so I might head that way.

Ger.

Was there a short toed lark seen at Baltray today. I thought I saw it on irish birding but its gone now. I'm heading out tomorrow so I might head that way.

Ger.

Hi Ger, Yes there was a possible Short-toed Lark reported there. Conor Foley went out for a look and had what he believed to be a very pale Skylark at the same spot (beside the concrete tower). I was out this evening but could not find the bird.

The best I had was a Short-eared Owl hunting over the golf course.

Its worth a look anyway.....

Dunany

I went out to have a look for the Eider that were present a few weeks ago. No Eider, but I flushed a Woodcock from the lane at the southern end heading towards the beach. Also a first winter Iceland Gull off shore just south of Dunany.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back