• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Today on the Moors: 12.00-16.00: Black-headed Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch 1F, Buzzard 1, Carrion Crow, Cetti's Warbler 2H, Chaffinch, Coal Tit 1 on feeders, Common Gull 1w flew through, Coot 84, Cormorant 28, Curlew 10 at dusk heading to flashes, Dunnock, Fieldfare25+, Gadwall 1F type, Goldcrest, Goldeneye 1F, Goldfinch, Great Crested Grebe 1, Great Spotted Woodpecker2 , Great Tit, Greenfinch3, Grey Heron2, Grey Wagtail1, Greylag Goose, Herring Gull2 , Jack Snipe1, Jackdaw, Kestrel2, Lapwing22, Lesser Black-backed Gull2, Little Egret 1, Little Grebe2, Long-tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan 1, Pied Wagtail (yarrellii)2, Pochard 5F 8M, Redwing 20+, Reed Bunting3, Robin, Shoveler 3F 1M - rising water levels have obviously caused the Shoveler flock to move on, Snipe perhaps 40+ flushed by boisterous cattle, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk 2, Starling 30+, Teal75, Tufted Duck18, Water Rail 2, Wigeon 1M, Woodpigeon, Wren.
RWP, JHWR, JS (Des in Barcelona)

Reports so far today of 2 Dunlin and 375 Lapwing at the Flashes (Andy A) and Jack Snipe, Wigeon, Shelduck and Common Gull at the Moors Pool (Trev J).

Flock of 17 Bar-tailed Godwit flown over the Moors Pool early morning as per Alan H - believe this to be the second largest occurrence for the reserve without checking the records.

Will be interesting to see if this flock is picked up elsewhere or indeed if there is a general overland movement today.

Now 4 Dunlin through the Moors Pool this morning as per Alan H; Phil W has a further 3 Dunlin at the Flashes plus a Shelduck and 300 Lapwing.

Looks like some wader movement today.

Last edited:
Flashes Work Parties

We started work parties at the Flashes over 30 years ago. In that time we have achieved a great deal all by manual means. This included moving probably in excess of 50 tonnes of shingle on to previously soil based islands. Some of the shingle was carried from the top of the steps at the sailing pool. Several tonnes was also transported over improvised bridges on to the islands. We also created all the islands in the saucer and central areas. This was by using soil dug from channels that we also created and piled up. Many other projects included erecting fox fencing , controlling trees and scrub that were encroaching into the saltmarsh. Encouraging wading birds by keeping rank vegetation in check and generally maintaining an open vista so important to attracting breeding and feeding waders.
However we are now entering a new era and the challenges are more complex and much of it probably beyond our capabilities with the use of manual means alone. There are of course many little tasks that will always need our intervention, these being - desilting channels, island maintenance and clearing, checking and repairing fox fencing, keeping willows on the northern border in check and hedge management.
The encroachment of the phragmites (reeds) along the shorelines is now a major problem and the control of this is now in the hands of the professionals. There are other factors at play that will make or break the long term future of the Flashes as a viable wader habitat. This involves scientific assessment of what the water levels should be set at.
On a positive note the Tuesday work parties are thriving and we have enough spare capacity to absorb the Flashes work into our annual rota.
I therefore feel that the Sunday work parties will for the time being be curtailed. There are a few reasons for this decision. Firstly as previously mentioned, secondly the pressure of work on the 'working ' participants is more intense than it was when I was working and I therefore appreciate that weekends are precious. I also found that on some occasions we were critised by people visiting the reserve on a Sunday. I can understand that if I arrived at a reserve and found a group of people working where there should be birds, I wouldn't be best pleased ( even though we have been doing it for 30 years). The argument is that
if we didn't do the work then the reserve would be poorer for birds and YES that is true. However there are now so many people visiting at weekends and winters are now much more milder that the Flashes isn't as ' birdless' as it was in the early days.
Taking all this into account I feel that we can cope with the occasional Tuesday work party and if in the future we have a special need, ie moving shingle then I will call for assistance. I hope the enthusiasm that was created by Sunday crew will remain and who knows once the Major threats to the Flashes are removed we could get back into the Sundays. But for the time being anyone who wishes to help us then you will be most welcome to join us on a Tuesday at the Moors.
John:t:
I would like to thank the literally scores if not hundreds of volunteers over the 30+years that helped Shape and make the Flashes what they are today. Without that help I wouldn't have had the motivation to be where I am today. I won't name names but some of the team were there at the beginning and sadly we have lost others. But be sure to know that the Tuesday work party is as strong and enthusiastic as what the Sunday crew was in its heyday.:t:B :)

Last edited:
Flock of 17 Bar-tailed Godwit flown over the Moors Pool early morning as per Alan H - believe this to be the second largest occurrence for the reserve without checking the records.

Will be interesting to see if this flock is picked up elsewhere or indeed if there is a general overland movement today.

No other inland records of Bar-tailed Godwit today - Upton Warren bucks the trend again!

Advanced warning

Please note that Aztec Adventure are having a Christmas Fair at the Sailing Centre on Saturday 10th December between 10am and 3pm so expect the car park and Sailing Pool surrounds to be busy.

With five days of the month remaining, November's list stands on 88 species and the year list on 149 following yesterday's godwits. Potential additions for the residue of the month include (year ticks in bold):

Pintail, Common Scoter, Bittern, Red Kite, Golden Plover, Woodcock, Med Gull, GBB Gull, Barn Owl, Feral Pigeon, Stonechat, Nuthatch, Brambling, Yellowhammer

Last edited:
From the Flashes first thing JTB reports:

Lapwing 455, Green Sandpiper 1, Curlew 12, Dunlin 1, Snipe 8, Shelduck 1, Wigeon 1, Teal 15.

Only sightings of interest in a couple of hours from 11.30 were four Mipits north over Moors just before 12 & two bacon sandwiches in the cafe at 13.30.

Saturday 26th November

Moors
Stayed until dark in East hide with Craig in West hide we were checking for the presence of a Bittern. a Unfortunately a no show.
Species Count North Moors :
Mute swan family of 6. Shoveler male. water rail 2. great spotted w. Redwing 28. Fieldfare 15. mistle thrush. Cetti's Warbler singing. Goldcrest. bullfinch 2.

Species count MOORS :
GCG 2. Little grebe 3. Little egret. grey heron 2. Cormorant 15. Shoveler 14. wigeon male. gadwall female. Shelduck. teal 49. Pochard 7. Tufted Duck 18. Snipe 6. Lapwing 5. curlew roosted alone this bird has a slightly drooping wing. Water rail 5. calling from along east side abd Amy's Marsh. coot 85+. kingfisher. Cetti's Warbler 2. redwing 12 roosted . Starling 35. circled for a while late on but not sure if they roosted.

At the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports:

Black-tailed Godwit, Little Egret, 2 Wigeon, 13 Pochard, Gadwall, 13 Curlew, Redpoll, Siskin, Nuthatch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back