• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars have the best build quality? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
There has been a lot of discussion about build quality and quality issues with binoculars at all price points on Bird Forum. Of course you would expect the more expensive "alpha" binoculars to have less quality problems but lately even this elite group doesn't seem to be immune from defects from the manufacturer. What brands of binoculars have you found to have better initial quality and less problems down the road? Have some brands slipped lately in quality? What's your experience been?

The Leica Trinovid BN is rumored to be bomb proof.

https://www.allbinos.com/340-Leica_Trinovid_8x32_BN-binoculars_specifications.html

And here:

https://www.allbinos.com/237-Leica_Trinovid_8x42_BN-binoculars_specifications.html

See the individual reviews of them.

Of course their optics are somewhat dated by now and they have been replaced by the Leica Ultravids.

Bob

PS: Dennis,

As I recall, you had an old thread here raving about the Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN!o:D as "the best binoculars I have ever used!"

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=84073

Last edited:
I had several Leica Trinovids BN's and BA's in 8x32 and 7x42 and I agree they are one tough binocular. Great binocular for rough and tumble use.

Last edited:
There has been a lot of discussion about build quality and quality issues with binoculars at all price points on Bird Forum. Of course you would expect the more expensive "alpha" binoculars to have less quality problems but lately even this elite group doesn't seem to be immune from defects from the manufacturer. What brands of binoculars have you found to have better initial quality and less problems down the road? Have some brands slipped lately in quality? What's your experience been?

These days, brands mean a fraction of what they once did and as long a folks go weak in the knees about brands that weren't heard of 15 years ago—and may be gone 15 years from now—it will remain so. Today, some fine names and reputations are behind some marginal products. However, in optics, as in everything else, perception is reality—At least for those who believe everything they read. Competition is as sharp as a razor and there are WAY too many vendors for the limited business.

And, what might be a structurally superior instrument, today, may not be superior, next week.

Just a thought. :cat:

Bill

I would put the Kowa Genesis up against any thing else. I have had mine for close to seven years now with hard use thru the first four before my mobility became restricted. I told the story a short time back about missing a step coming off an observatory doing a full length pratfall and landing with the kowas against my chest. The result was a dent in the wood and two cracked ribs for me but not a scratch on the bins and they work perfectly. Don't try this experiment at home with your SF's, SV's, Trinovids or what ever as you wouldn't like the cracked ribs and might not like what happens to the bino.
Steve

The Kowa's have a great complete armour cover which probably helps a lot with knocks and bangs. The Kowa Genesis I had was also built very solidly. They have great optics too.

Last edited:
Out of all the binos I have owned, or used over the past 20 years, and that's a lot of them, the most bulletproof would be:

Leica Trinovid BA
Meopta Meostar HD
Leupold Gold Ring HD
Swaro SLC wb

Anecdotal is no good - find some sort of industrial / standardized testing or long-term testing involving large numbers of participants.

Last edited:
Swarovski has the finest build quality on the market. Leica and the higher end Zeiss are very close in second, but I think the Swarovski's have just the tiniest edge in build refinement and optics.

No scientific measurements or data can really take the place of actually holding the instrument in your hands, and making your own judgements as to how well it's built.

Swarovski has the finest build quality on the market. Leica and the higher end Zeiss are very close in second, but I think the Swarovski's have just the tiniest edge in build refinement and optics.

No scientific measurements or data can really take the place of actually holding the instrument in your hands, and making your own judgements as to how well it's built.

Regarding Swarovski's "finest build quality;" a few year back there was an anecdote floating around the Swarovski u tube sites about the editor of a Birding Magazine taking her Swarovski binocular into SONA for refurbishing whereupon a woman supervisor in the refurbishing department there proceeded to tear the covering off the binocular using only her well manicured fingernails. Her nails sustained no damage.

A close examination of my SLCs convinced me that this was indeed possible!

Try that with a Leica Trinovid or Ultravid or a Zeiss Victory or a Nikon EDG or other binocular. Fingernails must retain their manicured appearance. ;)

Bob

Last edited:
"No scientific measurements or data can really take the place of actually holding the instrument in your hands, and making your own judgements as to how well it's built."

Good point and I fully agree.

Regarding Swarovski's "finest build quality;" a few year back there was an anecdote floating around the Swarovski u tube sites about the editor of a Birding Magazine taking her Swarovski binocular into SONA for refurbishing whereupon a woman supervisor in the refurbishing department there proceeded to tear the covering off the binocular using only her well manicured fingernails. Her nails sustained no damage.

Try that with a Leica Trinovid or Ultravid or a Zeiss Victory or a Nikon EDG or other binocular. Fingernails must retain their manicured appearance. ;)

Bob

Bob:

Most binoculars have rubber armor over a metal frame. This is very common
and it is done with all.

Jerry

Bob

Its a great story Bob and I would have loved to see this lady do her stuff, but one of our members pointed out a couple of years ago that armour is meant to be removeable to allow repairs to be done, and no doubt she knew exactly where to apply those fingernails to get the job done.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back