• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

I hope they stay until I get back Cristina, Oystercatcher are remarkably hard to catch up with in Mallorca.
I sometimes see a few flying past Cap de Ses Salines and there is often a single bird at Salobrar at this time of the year. I hope everyone connects with them today. Mike

Searching for nice Oystercatchers and dipped!

But great to see Flamingos in the Snow, Osprey catching a fish and StoneCurlews.

Attachments

• 995C2041-F798-4D77-B9CD-18AAA6A4B51A.jpeg
    995C2041-F798-4D77-B9CD-18AAA6A4B51A.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 9A4860CF-0094-45B4-899B-B0C307EE5CD1.jpeg
    9A4860CF-0094-45B4-899B-B0C307EE5CD1.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 76
No signals of the Oystercatchers today afternoon at Pollença Bay, but at Cami des Polls I got a big surprise with a barn owl long before the sunset and 13 waxbills, in a very, very cold day.

Attachments

• 110_Oliba.jpg
    110_Oliba.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 111_BecdeCorall.jpg
    111_BecdeCorall.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Punta de n’Amer this afternoon yielded nothing other than quite a few of common birds, song thrushes, thekla’s larks both of theses in good numbers. 7 Stone Curlews, male Cirl bunting, stonechats gathering nesting materials, siskins and linnets... I was hoping for Balearic Warblers but I didn’t hear a single one.
Offshore, some distant action of a dozen or so Shearwaters, not sure which species, plus a few Audouins and Yellow-legged.

A sunny morning at last. Short trip to Calle san Vincente and S’Albuferata.

Birds seen at sea included Balearic Shearwaters and possible Cory Shearwater in the distant, Cormorant and Shags.

Audouins and Yellow legged Gulls, Flamingos(90), Water Rails, Green Shanks(8), Common Sandpiper, Goldfinches, Serins, RL Partridges, Fan tailed, Cetti and Sardinian Warblers, Blue Rock Thrush and Mistle Thrush, as well as Chiffchaffs also seen.

The Platform at Albuferata is difficult to reach because of the water levels etc.

Attachments

• F25D7E44-55C0-4CB1-B97E-B914EB301AB2.jpeg
    F25D7E44-55C0-4CB1-B97E-B914EB301AB2.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Spoke to soon..the rain is back

Birds reported near Palma and Esporles included:

Goldcrest, Hawfinches, Redwings, Fieldfare, Red Kites and Booted Eagles.

Sun is back....An afternoon visit to Ses Fonts Ufanes by the Caves at Campanet.
Great Apple Pie and Coffee at the Caves.

Birds seen included Black Vulture, Red Kites (2), Booted Eagles(3), Kestrels, Ravens, Crag Martins, Goldfinches and Serins, Cetti and Sardinian warblers, Little and Cattle Egrets.

Mike should be back now after his trip to Blighty

Attachments

• 247F2A51-AF02-4689-A499-38CA1C8745AA.jpg
    247F2A51-AF02-4689-A499-38CA1C8745AA.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The salt pans in the south were quite quiet this morning, too much water is the problem, so there were few waders.
108 Golden plovers were nice, about 80 Flamingoes, a large group of Kentish plovers, a few Avocets and Black-winged stilts.
Marsh harriers were very active with at least six in the sky together.
Some Oystercatchers are still around, Mike will post later as I believe he found them!
Mike

Its true

2 Oystercatchers by the airport ..Ciutat Jardi..Interesting Beach area. Other birds included Audouin Gulls, Yellow legged Gulls, Cormorants, Little Egrets.

Followed with a visit to La Gola. My friends were very impressed with the bird information and the great advise provided by Cristina!

Last edited:
A lovely male Hen Harrier was found at Salobrar de Campos this afternoon by Dani, probably just after I left. I am going to the Harrier roost in the next few days. Last year it was spectacular so I’m hoping this year will be equally productive. Mike
Ps, the mosquitos are getting hungry so be prepared!

A Common Gull seen this morning at Cuitat Jardi by Juanjo.
A nice bird and very rare, only one per year is normal, even then, they are not seen every year. The port of Palma is good for gulls where a few rare ones have been found over the years. Mike

Visit to Lluc today..not too many cyclists yet!

Birds seen included Griffon Vultures(5), Black Vultures(2), Kestrels, Booted Eagles, Ravens, Crossbills, Hawfinch, Firecrests, lots of Blackcaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back