• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What glass did you almost buy: the cold feet issue. (2 Viewers)

To me which binocular I use for astronomy depends on what I'm looking at that particular night and of course where I'm viewing from. When I'm viewing here in town I usually opt for 10x42, 10x50, 12x50, etc. As you mentioned the darker sky resulting from the smaller exit pupil darkens the sky and makes the stars "pop".

If I'm going out to my dark site in a rural area I always take a pair of 7x50's for viewing nebula and a pair of EWA porros for putting as much as the Milky Way as possible in the fov.

Binocular astronomy is a severe test of optics and I've never seen a binocular as good as the Prostar at night, although the 10x50 FMTR-SX comes very close.

Steve

Prostar, ah Nikon I bet you couldn't go wrong there. Waterproof too.

Nikon EII, every time I encounter one I try it and fall in love again, I think its the lack of weatherproofing, been thick Dartmoor Mizzle here for 16 hours as I write.

Had to Google the Scarlet Tanager, nothing that red here that`s for sure.

"... However, for deep sky observing the 8.5 x 42 Swarovski ELs outperform them because of their larger image scale, darker sky background, wider apparent field, better ergonomics and lighter weight."
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showthreaded.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10/Number/571728/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I recently read over a bunch of threads on CN comparing the Alpha roofs @ 42mm with the classic 50mm 7x & 10x porros for night sky use. That quote Brock appears correct re "resolution", contrast, and dark sky background going to the high quality roof. But, physics being what it is, the light grasp will still be better in the 50mm, assuming a decent quality level in the porro also. In that dark background the roof may deliver, you will probably see some more stars in the 50mm. The 50mm will give a "richer field" experience, as the term goes. Of course for astro, one could just get the best of both worlds. It is called the Nikon 12x50 SE ;)

One more than one occasion I have had both the Zeiss 7x42 P*T* and the Nikon 8x32 SEs in my hands about to buy them but have not yet managed to buy either.

I recently read over a bunch of threads on CN comparing the Alpha roofs @ 42mm with the classic 50mm 7x & 10x porros for night sky use. That quote Brock appears correct re "resolution", contrast, and dark sky background going to the high quality roof. But, physics being what it is, the light grasp will still be better in the 50mm, assuming a decent quality level in the porro also. In that dark background the roof may deliver, you will probably see some more stars in the 50mm. The 50mm will give a "richer field" experience, as the term goes. Of course for astro, one could just get the best of both worlds. It is called the Nikon 12x50 SE ;)

The 12x50 SE is one of my favorites for astronomy when viewing here in town. I also use it during the day when I need a little extra magnification to discern more detail on a bird at my feeders. All of the SE's are great, I just wish Nikon would have made a 15x60 version.

Steve

I have noticed also that my 8x42 roofs outperform my 7x50 porros for darker sky, better resolution of faint objects, and easier handling. I use both equally and enjoy the differences. If an owl lands in one of my trees the 7x50 is my first choice, along with following birds or planes. Whenever after observing something moving that makes me go wow, it is always with the 7x50 porro. Even during the day. Stationary objects it is a toss up and depends on distance etc.

The binocular I want to actually try more than any other is the Nikon Edg. I have seen the Swarovski at local dealers, but I have not found a local dealer for the Nikon. I want to try before I buy at that price.

Last edited:
Hello,

I actually bought and returned a Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt Classic, some years, ago. Cabela's had a special, $500 or $600 after Zeiss discontinued them. I just could not hold them steady. Oddly, I did buy a Zeiss 10x32 FL.

I have seen a scarlet tanager in Central Park but never an Eastern bluebird.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Couple of Minox, I think on one occasion the Internet went out right before cliking submit, another time the address was wrong asked me to retype so I closed the brower. Of course when in high digit territory canceled the bid in the very last minute....at least a couple of times.....Swaro EL 8x32

Hello,

I actually bought and returned a Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt Classic, some years, ago. Cabela's had a special, $500 or $600 after Zeiss discontinued them. I just could not hold them steady. Oddly, I did buy a Zeiss 10x32 FL.

I have seen a scarlet tanager in Central Park but never an Eastern bluebird.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

But you use the 10x32 FL on a monopod, yes?

Well, I finally got you beat, having seen both birds in rural Pa. The scarlet tanager in my backyard and Eastern bluebirds at a nearby park.

I recently went to a talk on "How to Attract Eastern Bluebirds" given by the PA Bluebird Society. Turns out, the reason I never see them in my backyard, despite the feast I put out for birds and varmints, is that they prefer hedgerows and open fields to woods.

Same deal with killdeer. I see killdeer a few blocks away in open spaces in between big box stores. I get a kick out of how the mamma bird feigns a wing injury to lure me away from her nest, which is usually right out in the open in gravel or rocks mixed with dirt, although the speckled eggs are well camouflaged, being a similar color to the surroundings.

Here's my backyard wildlife habitat (with Creamsicle and Fat Sambo). The 8x30 EII reigns supreme in my backyard.

Brock

Attachments

• Sambo and Creamsicle in backyard (cropped) [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Sambo and Creamsicle in backyard (cropped) [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 90
But you use the 10x32 FL on a monopod, yes?

Well, I finally got you beat, having seen both birds in rural Pa. The scarlet tanager in my backyard and Eastern bluebirds at a nearby park.

I recently went to a talk on "How to Attract Eastern Bluebirds" given by the PA Bluebird Society. Turns out, the reason I never see them in my backyard, despite the feast I put out for birds and varmints, is that they prefer hedgerows and open fields to woods.

Same deal with killdeer. I see killdeer a few blocks away in open spaces in between big box stores. I get a kick out of how the mamma bird feigns a wing injury to lure me away from her nest, which is usually right out in the open in gravel or rocks mixed with dirt, although the speckled eggs are well camouflaged, being a similar color to the surroundings.

Here's my backyard wildlife habitat (with Creamsicle and Fat Sambo). The 8x30 EII reigns supreme in my backyard.

Brock
Those cats look like they have been feeding real well!!! Are you sure there are any birds left?!!!

Brock, do you get lots of blue jays and wood peckers? What about wood thrush?

I usually only see blue birds in fields as you said.

Struck the jackpot this morning. I hear some cries in the sky and there were two bald eagles going at it over my house. They did spun around and locked claws. It was a nice treat in the suburbs.

Brock,

As they say, life without a cat is possible, but meaningless.

Perhaps you should put Creamsicle and Fat Sambo on a diet and use the savings to buy that 15x60 Nobilem.
My two skinny Siamese recently approved the purchase of an SV, though I did neglect to ask the wife.

John

Having just bought SV 8x32, it occurs to me that I have never had Cold Feet in binocular-buying, much to the consternation of my wife and my bank manager. It is an attribute I desperately need to cultivate.
As regards life without cats, it makes perfect sense to me. My house is inhabited not only by humans, but by dog, hamster, goldfish and Bearded Dragon Lizard. But at a cat, I´ll draw the line!;)

But at a cat, I´ll draw the line!;)

If you want to preserve the family hierarchy, that makes some sense. Dogs have owners but cats have personnel.

Back to the OP, I nearly bought 15x60 bins years ago - Docter or Optolyth - but then decided on a scope. Now it's a format I would very much like to own, but having been spoiled by the eye relief, FOV and edge sharpness of the SV, there isn't anything on the market that really appeals.

John

A couple of years ago LL Bean had a 30% off coupon and I ordered a Swarvoski 8.5x42 and then canceled it. I had just ordered a Swarvoski 8x30. I should have canceled the order on the 8x30s and kept the SVs.

Chad

I've had 2.5k worth of scope in the shopping basket several times but it hasn't yet got to the checkout...won't be long tho :)

Almost purchased a Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 but experienced cold feet at the last minute- unfamiliar brand, how good is it really (well regarded on the forum), etc. Had a disappointing experience with the initial run of the Zeiss Victory I 10x40 (softer than I expected but my wife uses them happily to this day) as that was my first "alpha" so I'm a tad hesitant to purchase bins as an early adopter until any bugs are worked out.

Cheers B :)
Clint
Former Member: Society for Rehabilitated Optics Junkies

The only one I regret not buying was a Japanese 7x35 which had the objectives at the ends of right angle extensions, somewhat like a range finder.
Sadly I've never been able to perceive the 3D effect from Porros that some on this forum wax enthousiastic about. I now realize I missed my best chance to do so.

Brock, do you get lots of blue jays and wood peckers? What about wood thrush?

I usually only see blue birds in fields as you said.

Struck the jackpot this morning. I hear some cries in the sky and there were two bald eagles going at it over my house. They did spun around and locked claws. It was a nice treat in the suburbs.

Wow! What an aerial display that must have been. I'd like to see that someday. I've seen a few eagles but never interacting. The closest I've gotten is about 40 ft. when one swooped down to pick up a fish left out by the keeper of the fishery close to wear a male/female pair have a nest. She was waiting a long time for it, and she thought I had left the fishery but I faked going to my car and doubled back behind the generator shed and got a good look at her (female, noticeably larger than the male) with my 10x42 SE.

Yes, lots of Blue Jays and woodpeckers in my backyard - downy, red-bellied, flickers, and occasionally "Rodan" (Pileated). I can always tell when Rodan has been to visit, because the entire suet cake gets devoured in one day.

Creamsicle and Sambo are on tethered harnesses. They can't attack a bird unless one buzzes right over the heads, which occasionally the Blue Jays do just to annoy the cats. But they are too slow to catch them.

My block and two others were rezoned "mixed suburban" (a way for the township to "spot zone" and get away with it). There's an empty lot in back that will eventually be turned into student housing, and my quiet bird sanctuary will be no more.

Instead of bird calls, I'll be listening to the Japandroids, Death Grips, and Punch Brothers at jacked up volume. Ugh.

b.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back