• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humingbird, Mount Verde, Cost Rica, 02/02/12 (1 Viewer)

johno147uk

Seen on the way to Mount Verde, I think it might be a Blue Throated Golden Tail? Thanks for any iD steve

Attachments

• Blue Throated Golden Tail (2.JPG
    Blue Throated Golden Tail (2.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 55
Not disputing the ID, but any comment on the unusual rufous coloration on the wings and tail? That's not depicted in field guides. Is that a feature of young birds? (Assume the apparent dark band around the neck is just a shadow).

Jim

Jim,
I had put that down to effects of flash or too much vibrancy added in processing, but now that you ask, I will be curious to hear what others say.

Niels

Yeap, that picture shows evident colour aberrations that I guessed were due to the strong tropical light, but I've just found this other pic of likely the same bird showing a better colour balance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenpjohnson/6838514427/

Actually, it looks now to be a Rufous-tailed Hummingbird

Thanks for the clarification. I reckon the strong light in the initial photo also gave the impression of a bold, bright orange bill, characteristic of BTGoldentail.

Jim

Interesting image- shows how similar those two species can look in strong light and is a reminder that Rufous-taileds also have mostly red bills (although it usually doesn't stand out as much as the red on the bill of the goldentail). The rufous around the eye also gives it away as a Rufous-tailed.

Hi thanks for help all it was a very bright day. images are cropt and sharpened but no further procesing is done. NOTE when i resized image to post i did notice colour change. Kind Regards steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back