• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

Arctic Tern

Today's Arctic Tern was the joint second earliest record alongside 2006; the earliest record was on the 17th April in 2008 and 2009 - clearly a species that is now arriving much sooner in the spring. It would be interesting to know if they are returning earlier to their breeding colonies in Britian.

Finally managed some quality time at the reserve despite the rain and hail and connected with the Terns, the Little Gull (thanks to a team effort in the East hide) and with ForgetfulElephant (good to meet you Rob).

Then managed a couple of hours at the Flashes. While I was there late afternoon, amongst the usual suspects, there were at least 13 Avocet - two looking particularly settled until chased from their island by BHG. One oyc, one very territorial shelduck, a couple of LBBG and at least four LRP (I think there were 7 recorded in the log).

Green Sand dropped in at 4pm for 20mins.

Paul Curry reported siskin by the bridge.

So much better than the bad day I should have been having in the office |:D|

Paul

Finally managed some quality time at the reserve despite the rain and hail and connected with the Terns, the Little Gull (thanks to a team effort in the East hide) and with ForgetfulElephant (good to meet you Rob).

Then managed a couple of hours at the Flashes. While I was there late afternoon, amongst the usual suspects, there were at least 13 Avocet - two looking particularly settled until chased from their island by BHG. One oyc, one very territorial shelduck, a couple of LBBG and at least four LRP (I think there were 7 recorded in the log).

Green Sand dropped in at 4pm for 20mins.

Paul Curry reported siskin by the bridge.

So much better than the bad day I should have been having in the office |:D|

Paul

I think we should be selling therapeutic sessions on the reserve, mind you not when its raining, especially at the Flashes if you know what I mean.:smoke:

Just back from a 3 hour session and again heavy rain and hale. winds moved from west to almost north in that time.
Flashes (where the water level has not risen 1mm in 5 days of heavy rain :eek!:)
maybe the water table is filling up ?
Avocet 9, LRP 4, green sand - looks like a different bird ie less summer plumaged. Lapwing 7, Oystercatcher 2, common gull 2nd sum, Herring gull 2 1st summers LBBG several on the deck and a small northerly movement. Gadwall pr, shelduck pr, Peregrine pr soaring above the Flashes.
swallow c10 moving north. linnet 5, goldfinch, pied wags still going into ground nest. At Hen pool 2 reed warblers and a sedge w singing.

Moors lots of hirundines feeding low over pool and another adult little gull appeared . also GCG 6, little grebe, Teal 4 (pr + 2 fems), tufted c30, common sand, oystercatcher 4, lapwing 1, snipe 2,
B :)John

Just back from a 3 hour session and again heavy rain and hale. winds moved from west to almost north in that time.
Flashes (where the water level has not risen 1mm in 5 days of heavy rain :eek!:)
maybe the water table is filling up ?
Avocet 9, LRP 4, green sand - looks like a different bird ie less summer plumaged. Lapwing 7, Oystercatcher 2, common gull 2nd sum, Herring gull 2 1st summers LBBG several on the deck and a small northerly movement. Gadwall pr, shelduck pr, Peregrine pr soaring above the Flashes.
swallow c10 moving north. linnet 5, goldfinch, pied wags still going into ground nest. At Hen pool 2 reed warblers and a sedge w singing.

Moors lots of hirundines feeding low over pool and another adult little gull appeared . also GCG 6, little grebe, Teal 4 (pr + 2 fems), tufted c30, common sand, oystercatcher 4, lapwing 1, snipe 2,
B :)John

Hi John - do we know its a different Little Gull to yday?

Images from today:
Swallows making good use of the dead tree.
Todays Little Gull.
Oystercatcher seeing off Carrion Crow.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB0389 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0389 - Version 2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 110
  • _ROB0372 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0372 - Version 2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 117
  • _ROB0229 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0229 - Version 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 91
  • _ROB0247.jpg
    _ROB0247.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 85
Hi John - do we know its a different Little Gull to yday?

I think it is a different bird, no sign of a little gull up to 3pm when I picked this bird up. There seems to be quite a through put of birds at other sites, so no reason to believe yesterdays bird would have disappeared and then come back. Today's bird was heavily mottled on the forehead and front crown, the photo of yesterday's bird looks more 'full' hooded. Paul Anthony said it was different, having seen the one yesterday as well as today's.:t:

I think it is a different bird, no sign of a little gull up to 3pm when I picked this bird up. There seems to be quite a through put of birds at other sites, so no reason to believe yesterdays bird would have disappeared and then come back. Today's bird was heavily mottled on the forehead and front crown, the photo of yesterday's bird looks more 'full' hooded. Paul Anthony said it was different, having seen the one yesterday as well as today's.:t:

I think you are right John having looked at both lots of my pics yesterdays seemed to have less mottling on the head.

Rob

Little Gulls

I probably posted this chart last year but thought it was worth emphasising the increased occurrence of Little Gull in recent years; always a very welcome sight on spring passage.

Attachments

• Little Gull.png
    Little Gull.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 61
Arctic Terns

Arctic Terns and Little Gulls often associate together on spring passage. As with the latter species, Arctic Terns have also seen an upturn in records in recent years, boosted by several large flocks passing through in 2010 and 2011:

Attachments

• Arctic Terns.png
    Arctic Terns.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back