• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lazuli Bunting? Oklahoma, USA (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Saw this one at the feeder while looking thru my zoom..would have missed it otherwise thinking it was another Indigo. I saw the orange and blue and thought..whoa wait a minute. Looked it up in the book and it looks like a Lazuli and if it is why is it way over here in Oklahoma? Book says it doesn't come this far over. Very exciting if it is a Lazuli.

It has been too cool this Spring..I have approximately 30 Indigo Buntings, 5-6 Painted Buntings pairs, 5 Baltimore Orioles (pairs), One Orchard Oriole, and many many others. These birds are here everyday..enjoying them all.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• buntingA.jpg
    buntingA.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 91
  • buntingB.jpg
    buntingB.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Wow, we get them here all the time. Definitely will want to report this since it seems to be out of range.

Thank you everyone, very excited! Hope I see it again. Where and to whom would I report this to?

Definitely a nice feeder bird. This is where I would report good sightings for Oklahoma: http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/OKLA.html (you need to become a subscriber to post to the listserv though). Also, there seems to quite an influx of Lazuli Buntings in Oklahoma this year -- at least judging from the number of reports on the listserv and on eBird.

Best,
Jim

Thanks, I'll check it out. I may just call the Tulsa Audubon Society and report it to them. Go from there. If there is a lot them maybe not that uncommon but out of their way to go to the Northwest States when they come from Wintering directly south of there, no where close to here. Oh well, maybe they wanted to be different this year. :)

I'm up at 6:30 am watching my feeders to see if it comes back today.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back