• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D vs 70D for Bird photography (1 Viewer)

pranab73

hi, I am Pranab from north eastern part of India. My query is, i'm confused between a 7D and 70D, but am interested more in a used(1-2yr old) 7D as an amateur birdier.70D has been launched newly in India 2/3 months back.

Hi and welcome to birdforum Pranab, I'll move this thread to the canon forum where hopefully you'll get more replies..........

A close call. If you really need an articulating screen with good AF performance in live view, get the 70D. If you need better build quality, use CF rather than SD cards and shoot more birds in flight, get the 7D with its useful AF point expansion feature.

7D. You only need to look at the number of people using this camera for bird photography. If the 70D were a better option, they'd move to it, but they're not. I suspect all are preferring to wait to see what the much vaunted 7D Mkii might deliver.

70D is way better than the 7d for me anyway. Look at the talk photography website and you will see i am not alone ;)

The 7D MK11 if it ever comes out will be pricey I am sure.

I would pick the 7D over any xxD camera body. It's not about buying the latest and greatest that everyone has around photography forums. If you know how to take photos, any camera will do well in your hands.

People look at things differently. I would always go for the newer technology, assuming I could make use of it. So the 70d with it's advancements in video, wi-fi, rotating screen, touchscreen would win for me. No right or wrong answer really, both excellent cameras!

thanks for all your replies. Though,as regards birding, for me live isin't an option fr me. More interested in the autofocus features regarding shooting of small warbler type birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back