• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture story Farne Isles & Bass Rock, UK (1 Viewer)

LucH

Dutch nature photoghrapher
Hi all,

recently I've uploaded several pics of Puffins and other seabirds at Birdforum, taken on a trip to the Farne Isles and Bass Rock. I could easily spend the rest of this year with uploading loads of other pics from that trip, but that's not really an option ;). Therefore I've collected 150 pics on my pbasesite, with, besides lots of Puffins, Gannets and other seabirds, also a.o. some landscapes, seals and photographers in action. You can find the gallery at http://www.pbase.com/luchoogenstein/farneisles , and I hope it gives you an impression what to expect there.
Hope you like it!

regards,

Luc

www.pbase.com/luchoogenstein

Just had a quick look, superb shots :t:

Strangely I woke up this morning with a real desire to photograph seabirds (but I'm ~150 miles from decent colony), looking at those photos did not help. I guess it will have to be next year now, but I need to go to the Farnes.

Some cracking images there Luc. I had planned to go myself this year but due to unforeseen circumstances had to pull out. Now I know what I missed.

John

Wonderful photos-you must have had a great time. Can I ask you some basic questions :-
Is it easy toget there i.e. day trip ?
Some photos show that you used 700mm-what lense/combination was that ?
And finally to show my ignorance-some photos (exif) show it as a 20D-what is it you have on the base-is it a battery ??

You've just made me very jealous, as I didn't get chance to go this spring due to lack of time/funds/good weather! My girlfriend's parents used to live near Durham, so we had free accomodation that wasn't a million miles away for a trip up, but sadly they've moved now.

Brilliant shots, of one of my favourite places!

Is it easy toget there i.e. day trip ?

Very easy, the Farnes are National Trust property, and you can get to them from any of the boat operators at Seahouses. Billy Shiel's is the one everyone recommends, and he does tours of the islands with either a one hour stop off, or an all-day birding trip if you're feeling intrepid. There's also loads of beautiful Northumberland coastland to explore locally too... I'd particularly recommend Low Newton and Bamburgh.

Looked through it all and wow, you have some fantastic pictures there, I love the close ps of the puffin's bill.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back