• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera settings to eliminate white out and dealing with blue sky background (1 Viewer)

digiscope09

I notice when taking photos of white birds, that whilst the overall exposure of the photo is good, the feather detail of the bird is lost due to "white out".

Also, when attempting to take photos of birds against a blue sky or on reflective water, the camera has problems focussing. I have tried changing aperture settings and speed settings without a satisfactory solution.

I did read a comment on one of the forums some time ago about these problems but cannot locate them. Can anyone assist please?

finno

If the sun is behind you and evenly illuminating the bird and you don't care about background that will be cropped out, try using centerweighted metering if the bird is large or spot if it is small. If shooting program mode, adjust negative exposure compensation until the histogram or Playback highlight blinkies (if your camera has these functions) indicate correct exposure.

If the Sun is behind the bird and casting it in sillouette, you will need to apply positive exposure compensation.

If the Sun directly overhead or perpendicular to the side, it may be impossible to get proper exposure for the entire bird. Best to change position or perspective if possible or just make the best of a bad lighting situation.

merry christmas,
Rick

If the sun is behind you and evenly illuminating the bird and you don't care about background that will be cropped out, try using centerweighted metering if the bird is large or spot if it is small. If shooting program mode, adjust negative exposure compensation until the histogram or Playback highlight blinkies (if your camera has these functions) indicate correct exposure.

If the Sun is behind the bird and casting it in sillouette, you will need to apply positive exposure compensation.

If the Sun directly overhead or perpendicular to the side, it may be impossible to get proper exposure for the entire bird. Best to change position or perspective if possible or just make the best of a bad lighting situation.

merry christmas,
Rick

Thanks Rick

If the camera is consistently blowing out the white feathers, try setting the exposure control to a minus setting. I use -0.3 as a default on my P6000 and go to -0.7, or whatever, if the conditions dictate.

The P6000 doesn't have a histogram display for shooting (only on playback which is near useless.) I just try to underexpose slightly and then fix it in Photoshop or CameraRaw, both which have histogram adjustments.

If the camera is consistently blowing out the white feathers, try setting the exposure control to a minus setting. I use -0.3 as a default on my P6000 and go to -0.7, or whatever, if the conditions dictate.

The P6000 doesn't have a histogram display for shooting (only on playback which is near useless.) I just try to underexpose slightly and then fix it in Photoshop or CameraRaw, both which have histogram adjustments.

Thanks for the tips.

finno

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back