• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tits Hatched (1 Viewer)

Nobby, Perhaps you could tell me why my GT's have just finished building in the nest box? is it because they have delayed due to the rotten weather in these parts - North Yorks. The male was calling to the female at about 1700 hrs today, with food in his bill, presumably to feed her. She was calling back within the box but never left it. Any answers why they are so late will be gratefully received.

JB.

john barclay said:
Nobby, Perhaps you could tell me why my GT's have just finished building in the nest box? is it because they have delayed due to the rotten weather in these parts - North Yorks. The male was calling to the female at about 1700 hrs today, with food in his bill, presumably to feed her. She was calling back within the box but never left it. Any answers why they are so late will be gratefully received.

JB.
John
I'm not sure what triggers nest building it may be the weather. I presume the further South you go in the country the earliar nest building starts.

It may also be the availability of food. Nest building takes up a lot of the birds time so will only start each day when enough food is eaten to replenish energy lost from the previous night.

My garden slopes East down a valley and is on Chalk so the soil tends to warm up very quick in Spring. Perhaps this brings out the insect life early. I noticed that the Great Tits are feeding small grubs to their 1 day old chicks. If the chicks were born much earlier there may not have been suitable food available.

How does this compare to your Garden?
Can anyone give us dates of nest building/laying from up & down the country.
My Blue Tits started Nest Building 03/03 laying 11/04.
Great Tits started Nest Building 27/03 but started laying 09/04
Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back