• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to get rid of mourning doves? (3 Viewers)

SquirrelOsO

im swamped with mourning doves, 26 to be exact.
the problem started a few months ago when i bought a hopper feeder on a pole and kept it filled with a basic seed mix.
plenty of birds visited this feeder but it brought in too many doves.

the doves would empty the hopper feeder in a few hours, mainly by just dumping the seeds out.
i then filled it with boss hoping the doves would move on, but sure enough they dumped most of it while eating some of it.
i now have a boss garden beneath this feeder.

so i had no choice but to remove this hopper feeder entirely (what a waste of money)
since then ive replaced the hopper with a caged triple tube feeder which is working nicely, no more doves on it.
but this hasnt solved my problem, now the doves moved on to my bluejay feeder which has a nut n' berry mix. they pick out a few things and dump the rest, but at least im now down to 10 doves a day.
i can always go back to just feeding the bluejays whole shelled peanuts in that feeder, but, then i have another problem, the ground feeder which is filled with a mixture of nut n' berry mix and suet nuggets for the chipmunks and squirrel. the doves are now in this feeder too scaring flocking around like freaks scaring everybody away.
i used to have titmouse, chickadees and several species of woodpecker, since the doves they are all gone and i havent seen them in months.

so now i wanna know, what WONT doves eat??
should i try striped sunflower in the ground feeder for the chipmunks?
do you think doves will eat that? there has to be a food out there that they wont eat :-O

my mourning doves all just clean up w/e falls to the ground. they eat anthing that falls out and keeps that seed from growing. they also like to be under the suet feeder and eat w/e scraps fall. my doves cant eat from any feeder though. i have tube feeders that have perches so that they cant even stand on the feeder to eat. they do try every once in a while though =]

i think that was my problem, the hopper feeder. it had a large landing area that the doves would nestle on and eat all day. it was a perfect fit for them. i also had a fly through feeder that was big enough for them also, and a platform feeder on the ground.
so they had three large feeding areas to feed from for a very long time. long enough to build up 26 doves, just imagine 26 doves all at once? its not a pretty sight.
well its been a few days now since i took away the big feeders and got rid of the seed mix. i got down to 10 doves and now today i only had a few.
sad part is taking away that feeder mix means i have sparrows looking pretty lost. theres a baby cowbird crying on my lawn and no one is coming to feed him, i blame the sudden lack of seed mix for this.
so to help out this baby i put out some seed mix this afternoon hoping his parents will come for him. his parents must be a sparrow since hes running and screaming after them trying to find his ma and pa...its like a disney movie lol
im also losing my cardinals, they dont like the new caged feeder.

good news is yesterday i had some chickadees and one titmouse. they must know the "coast is clear" and decided to come out :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back