• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees - 2017 (2 Viewers)

With reason! A lady fell off the mountain last year (or maybe 2015) and before she could be 'recovered' the vultures arrived...

Talking of Vultures I thought I would give the Spectacled Warbler another go and seeing as I was awake at silly O'clock I set off. I passed one car en route and it took me a record 37mins to get to the top of the Soulor! I was in situ at 08.07 after walking up from the parking. Nothing! Well I got good numbers of Ring Ouzel, Wheatear, Stonechat, a young Rock Thrush and a possible juv Blue Rock Thrush it was very uniform and sort of slate grey while very dark barring (again very uniform) but importantly a very visibly longer bill. It didn't hang around in the panic to get the camera out! I'm not immune to error but it did strike me as that...

Anyway, I decided to head down to Wallcreeper 'dipping' cliff to predictably dip but I got some great views of the Egyptian 'frog' Vulture. Everytime he tried to come near his nest he was heavily mobbed by the, also, resident Kestrels. I decided to scope the second higher cliff. The Kestrels were at it again mobbing a Golden Eagle this time. It was very close but I wasn't close to my camera. I quick marched to get the camera but got distracted by a distant Lammergeier and then a 'dark' Vulture with a Griffon - I had been checking all the Griffons for the Ruppells recently seen and this was certainly dark but a BLACK - I managed to get a couple of record shots (this is 11 years after my last Black in the same place!). I'll settle for that!!

Attachments

• Egyptian Vulture.JPG
    Egyptian Vulture.JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Egyptian aerial combat.JPG
    Egyptian aerial combat.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 128
  • Egyptian Vulture frog.JPG
    Egyptian Vulture frog.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Black Vulture.jpg
    Black Vulture.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Lammy 5.JPG
    Lammy 5.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 134
Great shot of the Egyptian Vulture - well worth getting out of bed for!

Didn't feel like it at the time!

Another shot from the Soulor then two Vultures off the Tourmalet after treating the girls to an ice cream...

Attachments

• Wheatear Juv.JPG
    Wheatear Juv.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 107
  • grfiter.JPG
    grfiter.JPG
    782.5 KB · Views: 105
  • grifter flight.JPG
    grifter flight.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 108
Black Shouldered Kite Day

A chance visit to the airport at Pau brought about some great results. I counted up to 12 Black Shouldered Kites round the airport whilst waiting for a friend.

At the same time went ot Ayguelongue and saw Great White Egret, 3 Black Winged Stilts and 3 Green Sandpipers. On the main lake got a nice 'young' 2cy Hobby and a male Golden Oriole (by the time I had run back to the car the bird had gone) - always nice to see them in the open. A fair number of Turtle Doves purring away. No Night Herons though! A juv Black Headed Gull (yeah we don't get many here) and some bigger young gulls - I suspect Yellow Legged but at that distance I wouldn't want to commit...

Lots of Black Kites on my return - migration has started.

Various 'long' distance pictures of the Kites. But a mixture of adult and juv and some poses including one taking on a plane. It looks like they're taking over.

Attachments

• Bw kite how many..jpg
    Bw kite how many..jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 144
  • BW kite sock.jpg
    BW kite sock.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 110
  • BW Kite.jpg
    BW Kite.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 118
  • bw kite juv security.JPG
    bw kite juv security.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 129
  • air france.JPG
    air france.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 138
And now Wild Boar day.

Well in a very remote wood some scat and then a huge cave that looked like had been inhabited.

Bird wise managed to see the Lammergeier family (still no news on my 'marked' bird) and then an adult from a different pair but otherwise fairly quiet.

The second markings could have been something else but I couldn't find any other evidence...

Attachments

• Wild Boar pooh.JPG
    Wild Boar pooh.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Wild Boar pooh 2.JPG
    Wild Boar pooh 2.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Wild Boar cave.JPG
    Wild Boar cave.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 114
  • WB markings.JPG
    WB markings.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 111
  • WB markings 2.JPG
    WB markings 2.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 122
Swimming Lessons

Its that time of the year when the kids go to the pool - a lot.

Not such a bad thing as this morning very low over the pool was a nice Short Toed Eagle, a pair of Booted Eagles and then a 2 Egyptian Vultures. Before leaving a Griffon!

Supporting cast of Black Kite, Kestrel, Crag Martin and lots of Swifts (guess they might be leaving soon).

I forgot to mention that heard the Scops Owl the other night walking through town. They might well be close to fledging...

This is the subject of a separate thread but the Lammergeier young that I saw in June actually comes from a Spanish, Andalusia, reintroduction scheme and is called Tugia!

The bird has made a fair trip for a non-migratory bird, although for a Lammy I'm sure not too difficult. It was born in captivity in Czech Republic and then released near Malaga in Southern Spain last March. There have been two birds from that scheme in the Pyrenees. Its sad in a way in that they're not settling in their release areas but at least they are surviving.

https://www.facebook.com/1462975954...539458836814/1145538638836896/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• Circulaire 75 Lammergeier.pdf
    428.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Lammy Juv.JPG
    Lammy Juv.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 117
The release programme in Spain has been going for some time now. I saw a wing-tagged youngster in your area in 2005 and through the BTO discovered the team doing it in Spain and the name of "my" bird although I can't remember it now.

Attachments

• Lammergeier Saugue Sep 05_10.jpg
    Lammergeier Saugue Sep 05_10.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 118
These first years are great wanderers, as I recall a couple of years back one of the Swiss marked young went to Austria, Germany, France (up to the Channel coast as well as the Pyrenees). It ended up back in the release area eventually though, so hopefully Tugia will follow suit (I can just picture the sunbathing hordes at Marbella being panicked as it swwops low over the beach checking everyone's still breathing!).

Flav told me he had great views of the Wallcreeper at Gloriettes the other day over a period of about 2 hours - two birds together at one point. The nest has got to be close! If the chicks aren't off the nest its very close so the time to search.

Anyway, the temptation was too much and despite limited time I thought I would give it a bash. As usual the reality of sitting in front of a huge cliff with numerous huge blind spots soon drained most of my enthusiasm.

However, patience did pay off with an extremely high binocular view of a bird under an overhang then gaining a bit of height and flying across the cliff. I kept on the bird until it landed and then transferred to the scope. As usual not to be seen again! I ran out of time but I probably can get back one more time before too late.

News from the Pas d'Aspe pair is that the chicks are still in the nest but the female has disappeared! The male is bravely continuing on his own - fingers crossed.

FOUND IT!

Ok, not me but Flav yesterday found the Wallcreeper nest at Gloriettes (TWM might remember the cliff!). This has been our suspicion for some years but it seems we have been a fraction out with our compass - although we had been picking our way along in this direction. It is below pretty much where I saw the bird, in the distance, the other day. It does add 10 minutes to the walk....

Whilst he could hear the birds in the nest it is too far for a decent photo, I guess by his standards. I can't get there today and tomorrow is now looking iffy, Monday definately out arrghhhh. They will be away very shortly. Why does it have to be busy season!!!!! The frequency of visit ranged from 5mins to 40mins with both adults now feeding and removing sacks....

I think I had talked about this before but there has always been an assumption that these birds nest really high and during July and August but after watching the brilliant 'like a butterfly' film last year (and also finding a nest on the Soulor last year) we lowered our search areas to places where we had records during the end April and May periods. So we have one nest and two territories from one springs work - brilliant.

Its further than it looks!

Snuck out of the house fairly early for the Wallcreeper 'trek' - 20 mins maybe.

It was steeper than I thought and further and took a bit longer c.1 hour to get in situ. However, almost immediate success with the male and then 2 mintues after the female - I could be back for brunch.

Feedinig was fairly frequent as with Flavien and I set a time limit of 11.00 to set off back - fatal! At about 10.45, I think the female, one of the adults seemed to be trying to entice the young out of the cavity and then yes I saw one.

I know I'll go a little higher. Then the male, female and male in the space of 15 minutes. I could see 2 chicks just coming out. Brilliant.

I thought I'd wait for one more vist - 38 minutes -WHAT! Ok one last 1h45. i should have had my feet under the table at this time - the only compensation was a pair of Alpine Accentor in the same spot....

Not the best pictures but hey...

Attachments

• Alpine Acc 2.JPG
    Alpine Acc 2.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 152
  • Alpine Acc.JPG
    Alpine Acc.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Wall Adult.JPG
    Wall Adult.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Wall adult 2.JPG
    Wall adult 2.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Wall adult 3.JPG
    Wall adult 3.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 143
What a great day! Not looking forward to work now....

Attachments

• Wall chick.JPG
    Wall chick.JPG
    602.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Wall feeding time.JPG
    Wall feeding time.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Wall feeding time 2.JPG
    Wall feeding time 2.JPG
    653.4 KB · Views: 162
After the excitment of Sunday reality returned with a shopping trip (work). Anyway, as mentioned before it does give me the oppourtunity to head down the mountain and stake out the airport and a couple of dirt tracks.

Result! A juv Woodchat Shrike popped out. Then had a little fight with a juv RB Shrike.

I have raised the question on another thread but was it coincedence that the two were together? I ask this because a couple of years ago there was a suspicion that a male RB and a female Woodchat got together, about 5 miles from here. Also, to my mind its got to be early for this fellow to be migrating or at least he can't have come far!

Anyway, whilst I got some pictures of the Woodchat I only managed a couple of the RB and none from the side or behind!

Sadlty the rest of the trip did actually involve shopping, rain, wind and not many birds although did have at least 5 Green Woodpeckers - a mixture of adult and young along the track and on the military base.

Attachments

• RB juv.JPG
    RB juv.JPG
    626.6 KB · Views: 122
  • woodchat juv 3.JPG
    woodchat juv 3.JPG
    593.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Woodchat juv.jpg
    Woodchat juv.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Woodchat.JPG
    Woodchat.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back