• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (5 Viewers)

River Rea and Bourn Brook walkway 9.00
Pair of kingfisher about one mile apart on the Rea. For the first one, I looked from a bridge over the Rea at a heron, I didn't know the kingfisher was there until it flew from the wall past the heron. The other kingfisher was present in it's normal spot (they were not far from this years nest 1 and 2). The Bourn Brook kingfisher was also perched on the wall, it's usual spot. Later on I stopped to look for it again and it wasn't there. Then I found it further up the brook by another bridge with a big pool formed by the brook. It flew under the bridge before flying past me. Further along the brook I was treated to a GSWP over the brook, that didn't want to budge. Then another appeared and I thought how nice a pair, before they started to have a fight and chase after each other. After seeing the pair of buzzard at Woodgate Valley CP there was a few chaffinch in a bush by the Bourn Brook. A great morning!!

River Cole - Kingfisher Country Park - Yardley Green 11.00
I could not find the kingfisher on the usual section of the River Cole so I had to look further along the river. I thought I was going to be unsuccessful as it's difficult to see the river due to the trees and bushes. I was pleasantly surprised to disturb four heron roosting in the trees that then flew off. Then I got another good surprise, two kingfisher flying along the river together. They made the two tone call as they went past. There was then a Jay, several Starlings, Sparrows, LTTs, a GSWP and GWP. I then checked another section of the Cole near Lea Ford, where I had seen a kingfisher in 2012 and straight away another kingfisher went past. It was using the trees that had fallen into the river to fish from. It went past a few times even flying up the path to avoid me. Great!!

Last edited:
Canal Kingfisher

Tame Valley Canal 11.00
My first Canal Kingfisher! Great! I was always curious if a Kingfisher could fish in a canal and today confirmed it. I saw this one dive in the canal and catch a fish. It preferred the canal to the lake nearby. The canal water was clear at the sides and a foot deep at the shallowest point. Great also to see it on the lock and the bridge over the canal.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23302451334/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23302494154/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23822397522/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23302487054/in/dateposted-public/
I then found one on the lake of Kinghurst Brook, Merdien Park, Kingfisher Country Park. I thought I might not see one as the water was brown. I heard the two tone call and there was a Kingfisher, fishing on the dam wall of the lake. It caught a fish. Great!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23562823969/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23302473934/in/dateposted-public/

3 Kingfisher Christmas Day

My first Kingfisher for the day was on the Bourn, Bournville at 8.15. In the early morning light I saw a splash in the water and could just make it out, stunning a fish on a tree. Not seen this one for a couple months but know it's a regular.
The second Kingfisher was the regular on the Bourn Brook walkway. After all the rain it had a few more perches in the brook but it didn't hang around so I could get a photo.
The third was on Trittiford Mill pond. Again another regular spot usually on the River Cole in this area for Kingfisher.
That takes me to a total of ten different Kingfisher in a week in the Birmingham area. Great!!

Last edited:
River Rea and Bourn Brook
A long run along the River Rea and I did not see any kingfisher (I've not worked out where they disappear to when there's brown river water, probably on a pond or lake somewhere) but plenty of Thrush singing in the trees, a few male Bullfinch, some Goldfinch, LTT and other tits. There were also Shoveler with tufted ducks and a heron on Merecroft and they have been on the Valley Parkway boating pond. To get my kingfisher fix, I quickly checked out the Bourn Brook and it was not in it's usual spot but (hiding/resting?) under a bridge, it flew out and up the brook, a grey wagtail was also present. Great!!

Last edited:
River Rea and Bourn Brook 8.30
I was too early at the Rea and the river was quiet. Then I heard the two tone call and the Kingfisher was back. On the Bourn Brook I could just see the Kingfisher sat on the bridge wall as I walked past it on the pavement. Then as I took some really bad photos it dived and caught a fish. It returned to the wall perch to stun it before swallowing it. Great!

Bourn Brook and River Rea 10.00
The Bourn Brook kingfisher was on a bush perch on the side of the brook. The Rea kingfisher flew down the river and had to dodge a blackbird flying across. Great!

River Rea and Bourn Brook 10.0
Both Kingfisher took longer to find today. The Bourn Brook kf helped me by giving a call. The Rea kf was by nest location two instead of the usual nest one. What really surprised me then was a Water Rail on the bank of the River. It quickly disappeared. Great!

Couldn't find the usual kingfisher on the Rea or Bourn Brook what with the high water levels. Found the kingfisher on Woodbrook instead.

Bourn Brook Walkway 3.30
Both the Kingfisher on the Rea and the one on the Bourn Brook are taking a bit of extra effort to find lately as they are not at their most frequented perches. This could be due to the flow of water which still seems a little higher since all the rain. Today I found the kingfisher perched high up in a tree and it flew off and did a huge arc into the distance. I thought it will be back at it's main perch and there it was. It then gave me the two tone call and flew off to to some trees where I'd never seen it perch before but last years kingfisher had, before flying back past me to go up the brook.

Bourn Brook Walkway 8.00
The Kingfisher flew down the brook, then I found it further down, it stopped on the wall for me and then it flew back up the brook. I had a look for the Dipper but no luck, I think that was a one off. I shall keep looking.
River Cole, Kingfisher Country Park 8.40
The Kingfisher was sat waiting for me on a tree perch over the river and then a Grey Wagtail flew in and landed. Great stuff!!

Last edited:
Bourn Brook Walkway 9.00
The Kingfisher was on what was it's main perch area, it has 4 spots it likes. It didn't fly off as it safe, far enough away but after a while it did turn it's back on me, so I left it to it! Great! Couldn't find a Rea KF as the water was quite brown again. (I just had a GSWP on the feeder in my garden and a Goldcrest in a tree with the feeding tits)

Bourn Brook Walkway 4.00
I've been away Cold testing in Finland at -36degC, so it was great to get back and find the Kingfisher. Also it was great to find a Goldcrest feeding with LTTs, Goldfinch and a Grey Wagtail. Great!

Bourn Brook Walkway and River Rea 11.00
Found the Kingfisher on the River Rea today for the first time in a few weeks. I thought I wouldn't as the water level was high and brown. It flew up the river battling against the wind, 14th time this winter. The Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook took some finding and just as I was giving up, after a few runs up and down, I heard it give the two tone call, I looked over the wall and saw it fly past. Calling again as it went through the tunnel. 22nd time this winter. Great!!

Last edited:
Bournbrook Walkway Harborne Lane bridge
Still checking out hoping for Dipper had Kingfisher carrying fish perch up after flying upstream calling - how do they do that with a beakful of fish. Grey Wag under bridge.
Looks like they've cleared those big insulation boards(I did report it on Council site ) but still too much rubbish about Inc rubble tipped in stream and bushes.

Last edited:
Hi Trevor - I think that Dipper was a lucky one off. Kicking myself now for not getting a photo. I reported that rubbish as well. Yeah the kingfisher is starting to call now. I stopped to take a look and was lucky the kingfisher stopped on a perch near me today. I stayed still and it tried out a few perches in front of me. Real lucky. I then found the kingfisher on the River Rea as well. The water levels were lower today. Also present was a male bullfinch.

Bourn Brook Walkway 4.40
I had a bumper drive up the M40 with two Kestrels hovering, the usual Red Kites and as I got to Birmingham, a raptor possibly another Kestrel on a lamp post and then a Buzzard. Cracking! Got back in time to see the Bourn Brook Kingfisher fly up the brook. It's electric blue colour glowing in the fading light. It almost flew into a Grey Wagtail. There is a resident Song Thrush singing over the path. Great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back