• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Thanks Martin. I tried to wade down Eddie's Track at Salobrar this morning but had to give up when the water came over my wellies. A canoe would have been better.
Unsurprisingly, there were few waders, just Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Little Stint, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank and Spotted Redshank.
Still lots of Flamingos, over one hundred, three Booted Eagles and seven Marsh Harrier.
Later at the Cap, absolutely nothing. Mike

I believe that the hunters are wanting permits to shoot Ravens and Red Kites, blaming them for all sorts of things, it's just an excuse as it always is with hunters, you only have to listen to the hunting lobby in the U.K. regarding the Hen Harriers to realize it's all unfounded. Because Red Kite are seen feeding on carcasses the farmers naturally assume that the bird has killed the animal. Not so. Red Kite do a lot of good here as Mike says.
I'm sure G.O.B. are onto it, they are strong and very devoted. Red Kites are doing great with I think 86 pairs breeding last year.

Hi Mike I missed to get a copy of your news article.Any chance of a scanned copy?

Mike Swiss

Albuferata Surroundings

A break in the bad weather (even Sunshine) allowed a trip around the outskirts of Albuferata.

One of the best overviews is from Playa de Muro ( end of Carrer Romani and Carrer passeig de bateman)

Great views of Kingfishers, Great and Little Egrets, Audouins Gulls, Purple Gallingue, Water Rails, Kestrals and Marsh Harriers.

Crag Martins and Chiffchaff really busy feeding.

Mike, Susan thought she saw Spotted Crake but I missed it and heard nothing from the spot. Are they here at this time of the year?

I will go back another day to check

Mike Swiss

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 118
Hi Mike. There have been quite a few records of Spotted Crake from that exact spot but I don't think any of the records have been substantiated, i.e. Photos.
Anything is possible and I don't doubt the records from last spring, Phil tells me that many years ago he saw Spotted Crakes on spring migration every year but he has not seen one for many years now.
I honestly don't know, I just hope that someone gets a photo the next time one is reported.
I will scan a copy of the paper and send it to you. Glad someone is out birding in this weather, it's still horrible here in the south. Mike

Mike, Susan thought she saw Spotted Crake but I missed it and heard nothing from the spot. Are they here at this time of the year?

Mike Swiss

The 2015 Bird Report lists Spotted Crake as "Winters .... rare Mallorca". That said, I've seen one at the Albufereta, probably in Spring.

Martin

Rain and Little Gull

Risk the weather to explore around Albufera, Albuferata and Maristany.

Lucky to arrive at the same time as Gemma and her friend to see the Little Gull at Maristany.

Other birds seen included kingfishers, common sandpiper, Hoopoes, Marsh Harriers, Kestrals, Red legged partridge, Great and Little Egrets, Red Crested Pochards, Common Pochards, Gadwall, Shellducks, Shoverlers, Lapwings

Mike Swiss

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 46
I'm starting to gear up for a week based in Pollenca at the very start of April, and arrived at this thread thanks to Mr Google. Looks like mallorcabirdwatching.com is a treasure trove of info, and i've got the Gosney book, but if anyone has particular recommendations for a first-time visitor at this time of year i'd be glad of suggestions.

Not sure if this is too far off topic, but i'd be especially glad of any steers on orchids and herps....though i guess there's no real hope of spotting a ferreret...

Hi ionh, the beginning of April is a good time, a wee bit early for some migrants but still spot-on for some others. You are in the best place up north so I would suggest a trip to the main reserve at Albufera but also nearer you, Albufereta is exceptionally good for migrants. There is now a tower to view from which is excellent but I have found the bushes near the road very productive for chats and warblers. There is also a small pine wood en route to the tower to the left which is well worth scanning.
Son Real is great for flowers and plants, I took two botanists there last year and it took about an hour to move out of the car park they were so thrilled with some of the things they found. There were good numbers of Orchids too. Michael Schade wrote about Orchids a few posts ago.
I would also call in at Maristany (Tuscan Marsh) as there may be Terns, Ducks and Crakes there. It's always worth a visit.
The Boquer Valley is near you and I believe there are some important plants seen there including some endemics there. Goats are a problem though.
Hope this helps, let me know if you need any other information, I will be pleased to help.
All bird records go on this thread so it will be kept up to date.
All these sites are covered by Gosney.
Hope you enjoy your visit and do let us know what you see. Mike

Not sure if this is too far off topic, but i'd be especially glad of any steers on orchids and herps....though i guess there's no real hope of spotting a ferreret...

There are quite a few trip reports available via a search of Google. This https://mwilsonherps.wordpress.com/trip-reports/majorca/ is just one of them.
There are also links to lists of the various species (native and accidentally introduced), such as http://www.lacertilia.de/AS/Bibliografie/BIB_5732.pdf
There have probably been a few additions since that list was published.
Have a good trip.
Martin

Thanks Mike, Martin -- working through books and blogs is one thing, but there's no substitute for recommendations based on first-hand experience :)
ian

p.s. guess i'll be a bit early for eleonora's?

A little bit early for Eleanora's yes, but you never know, last year one was seen early in the month so you may be lucky. Typical arrival dates are from around 24th April. Mike

Vultures and Puffin

A walk up the fishermans road ' pas del pescardors ' at Sant Vincente was very quiet - nice afternoon with little wind.
No balearic warblers seen or heard and only a few sardinian warblers seen.
No Blue rock thrushes.
On the positive side, several Ravens, many Crag Martins and two Black Vultures.

A visit to the beach at Sant Vincente revealed a stange but dead exotic specie

Mike, What is this doing here???

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    358.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 69
There are a few records of Puffin, not every year, but they are usually seen from the far north at Formentor. I think Phil has been coming to Mallorca for about twenty years but he has only ever seen them three times.
Maybe your bird succumbed to the violent storms, what a shame it didn't survive, it would have been tremendous for us all to have seen it swimming around a nice Cala somewhere.
Well done for spotting it though Mike.
Mike

There are a few records of Puffin, not every year, but they are usually seen from the far north at Formentor. I think Phil has been coming to Mallorca for about twenty years but he has only ever seen them three times.
Maybe your bird succumbed to the violent storms, what a shame it didn't survive, it would have been tremendous for us all to have seen it swimming around a nice Cala somewhere.
Well done for spotting it though Mike.
Mike

Found this on the web

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...6AEIOjAI#v=onepage&q=puffins mallorca&f=false

i think this is the Shearwater surely..35,000 individuals in the Iberian Peninsula

Last edited:
A very nice day out at Albufera but most of the reserve is closed due to flooding. Still some good birds though, Wigeon, Purple Swamp Hen, Teal, Flamingos and lots of Marsh Harrier looking very hungry after many days of rain, they were all over the place.
Later at Maristany, the Little Gull was still present, a lovely bird with its delicate bill and quite a difficult bird to see in Mallorca. Also Red-Crested Pochard and swarms of Crag Martins feeding overhead. Mike

Visit to La Gola.

Visitors centre still closed to February?

Seen today - Common Sandpiper, Greenshank, Grey Heron, Booted eagle flying over.

Kingfishers, Auduoins Gull and Sardinian warblers seen recently there

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back