• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (6 Viewers)

Visiting birder Neville reported six Alpine Accentors from the tower at Albercutx. He has photos. A very nice find. There are often groups of this size together on some of the peaks but I have never seen more than two at the tower. Mike

A short visit to S' Amarador (Albufera)

Many Marsh Harriers (>6), Song thrushes, Redshanks, etc.

First Stone Curlews (6) of the year.

Four Alpine Accentors seen today at the mirador, not far from the tower, Albercutx so they may be the same birds as seen at the tower.
Also the Little Gull is still at Maristany. Mike

Visiting birder Neville reported six Alpine Accentors from the tower at Albercutx. He has photos. A very nice find. There are often groups of this size together on some of the peaks but I have never seen more than two at the tower. Mike

4 seen really upclose on the Mirador Formentor

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 81
Trip to Lluc on this Sunny Day did not disappoint.
Birds seen included Griffin Vultures (15) and Black Vultures (2) but distant views.
Red Kites, Ravens, Booted Eagles, Kestral and Blue Rock Thrush also seen

It pays to take the back roads home from lunch as I spotted a lone Fieldfare in a flooded field from Es Llombards to Santanyi this afternoon, quite a scarce bird in Mallorca. Mike

Lluc is a marvellous place Mike, as you well know. There is a walk that is only open on Sundays. Start from behind the large cross from the car park, its obvious because even I found it.
Last year, Redwings, Fieldfares and the elusive Brambling were seen from there. We will be going soon. Mike

Does anybody know the status of the various Subalpine races versus Moltoni's Warbler on Mallorca? The reason I ask is that I was recently doing a description of Subalpine Warbler I found in the UK, which resulted in me re-examining some photographs of bird I took at La Gola in early April last year. Having looked at these closely, I now wonder if they are actually of a cantillans 'Eastern' Subalpine Warbler (see here - happy to be corrected). The throat is a bit too coloured and the underparts don't seem pale pink enough for Moltoni's, but on the other hand, the belly seems rather white for 'Western'. Unfortunately, it wasn't calling.

I understand Moltoni's breed and Subalpine passes through on migration, but would assume most passing through would be iberiae? How common is 'Eastern'? It turned up at the same time as a male Collared Flycatcher....

Last edited:
Hi Ilya. I will try to find an old post (I think by Motmot?) which gave a very detailed analysis of Sub-Alpine warblers ringed on Cabrera.
My memory is the same as you say, early April would indicate Sub-Alpine I believe, Moltoni's arrive later and some stay to breed, mostly in the mountains.
As far as I know, Sub-Alpine do not breed here.
I hope someone else comments, as has been established a few times, my identification skills are not always reliable! I always use the call when separating these two species and I have no experience on Eastern.
Thanks for your post, interesting! Mike

Hi Ilya. I will try to find an old post (I think by Motmot?) which gave a very detailed analysis of Sub-Alpine warblers ringed on Cabrera.
My memory is the same as you say, early April would indicate Sub-Alpine I believe, Moltoni's arrive later and some stay to breed, mostly in the mountains.
As far as I know, Sub-Alpine do not breed here.
I hope someone else comments, as has been established a few times, my identification skills are not always reliable! I always use the call when separating these two species and I have no experience on Eastern.
Thanks for your post, interesting! Mike

Thanks, Mike. With your hint, I managed to track down the post myself (see below). That said, I think the taxonomy has moved on since then. Aside from Moltoni's being given full species status, a new sub-species iberiae has been recognised and I suspect what he calls cantillans is actually this. As well as Moltoni's, most authorities now recognise:

‘Eastern’ Subalpine: S. c. cantillans (c, s Italy, Sicily) & S. c. albistriata (ne Italy through se Europe to w Turkey)
‘Western Subalpine: S. c. iberiae (Iberian Pen., s France and extreme nw Italy) & S. c. inornata (nw Africa)

Though 'Eastern' and 'Western' aren't always given full species status.

I was suggesting mine might be a cantillans 'Eastern' and mainly wondered how common this form is, though I suspect the picture is far from clear.

Cheers,

Ilya

Hi Mike! The status, phenology and abundance of the different subalpine forms I've registered while monitoring migration during the 5 Spring seasons I've spent in Cabrera is resumed below:

Sylvia cantillans cantillans is a frequent and regular migrant, first scarce sightings at the end of March, fairly common through April, especially on the first 3 weeks of the month. Scarce again in May.
Sylvia (cantillans) moltonii. Fairly scarce breeder and moderate migrant. First birds around mid April, much commoner on the last week of April and especially first week of May.
Sylvia cantillans albistriata. Very rare migrant. Four records in the last 5 years: 1 on March 27th, 1 on April 10th, and 2 on April 17th.

I guess phenology should be about the same in mainland Mallorca, with the main arrival of Moltoni's at the end of April and through most of May, thus more or less replacing the earlier migrant ssp cantillans. Moltoni's are not easy to find as breeders in Mallorca, they are fairly scarce and localised, breeding mainly in the Serra de Tramuntana and in the Llevant mountains, but can turn up as (scarce) migrants almost anywhere.
Cheers,
Eduardo

Hi Cristina
Many thanks for the information about the opening of La Gola.
I am sure I, and many visitors will again welcome this news and will be calling in to see you.
Let's hope you have as many wonderful birds as last year with some rarities too.
Good luck, we will see you soon, Mike

Ilya, I will try to find out as much as possible about eastern Sub-Alpine Warbler, I have some old records I can refer to.
In the meantime, I hope one of the locals will respond. Mike

Family visit to Palma

There was still time to see a few blackcaps feeding on the dates and a couple nesting in the Cathedral

Attachments

• IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 68
Spring in Alcudia

A visit to the Roman ruins is a great trip out. The environment is ideal for birds

Seen today: Booted Eagles and Osprey fly past, Cattle Egrets, Linnets, Goldfinches, Serins, Dunnocks, Sardinian warblers, Whinchats and Stonechats, Thrushes etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 69
Afternoon walk up Bocquer Valley.

Quiet but still a pleasent walk.

Birds seen included Booted Eagle, Ravens(3), Blue Rock Thrush (2), Thrushes, Sardinian Warbler. One Gannet seen at sea.

One Balearic Warbler heard but failed to see.

Dear friends,
the Ornithological Tourism Centre La Gola opens today til November.
You can find us in Port de Pollença, C/Temple Fielding next to Buda Bar.
This February, on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 9.00h to 15.00h.

Follow us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Centre-de-turisme-ornitològic-de-la-Gola-126115184103029/
and in our website
http://www.ctolagola.com/

See you soon!
Cristina.

Great to see Cristina and La Gola Centre open again.

Its a wonderful opportunity to check the birding world of Mallorca.

Also a great educational centre for schools and families.

I have already seen kingfishes, greenfinches, common sandpiper, greenshank, Hoopoes,Little egrets, sardinian warblers, white and yellow wagtails and other finches here this year.

Looking forward to more visits

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back