• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (4 Viewers)

At S"Albufera yesterday where there were the usual suspects plus little stint with the ringed plover, booted eagle flew through , black redstart in the field , plenty of chiffchaffs and a gargany near to the bridges

A calm and sunny day with some of the wild flowers at their best. The countryside looks stunning.
The sea was dead calm too and I spent a couple of hours at the lighthouse, Porto Petro.
Lots of mixed Shearwaters loafing on the sea as they tend to do when there is little wind. They then got up and there was a feeding frenzy as a shoal of fish swam nearby. Then, out of nowhere, appeared that master predator, a Great Skua who came to join the party. It was a joy to watch. Mike

A mega rare Lesser short-toed lark was seen this morning in flight by Maties at Albufera. I don't remember there being one before so it would be wonderful to relocate it. Mike

A mega rare Lesser short-toed lark was seen this morning in flight by Maties at Albufera. I don't remember there being one before so it would be wonderful to relocate it. Mike

According to The Birds of the Iberian Peninsula the most recent Mallorcan records are:
6 on 1 December 1988, one on 9 December 1990 and two on 20 April 1993.
There's also an earlier Menorcan record from Salinas d'Addaia on 15 March 1975.
Plus some discussion of even earlier records by Bannerman & Bannerman in their The Birds of the Balearics.
Another great 'spot' by Maties.
Martin

Last edited:
At S"Albufera yesterday where there were the usual suspects plus little stint with the ringed plover, booted eagle flew through , black redstart in the field , plenty of chiffchaffs and a gargany near to the bridges

Good to meet you today

Sorry about lack of Wyrneck and Balaeric Warbler at Bocquer today.

Nice views of Booted Eagles, Ravens, Blue Rock Thrush, Kestrels, Stonechats, etc and possible sparrowhawk

See you Saturday afternoon at 13.00 at Maristany (by Lidl) and then we meet Mike at Albufera

An evening walk down Eddie's Track at Salobrar de Campos tonight. Wellingtons are still essential.
Two Temmininck's stints, Grey Plover, Flamingoes and a good selection of small waders.
About seven Marsh Harrier came to roost but sadly no Hen harriers. Mike

Good to meet you today

Sorry about lack of Wyrneck and Balaeric Warbler at Bocquer today.

Nice views of Booted Eagles, Ravens, Blue Rock Thrush, Kestrels, Stonechats, etc and possible sparrowhawk

See you Saturday afternoon at 13.00 at Maristany (by Lidl) and then we meet Mike at Albufera

Look forward to seeing you there Saturday. Whilst in PuertoPollencaalso spotted an osprey (possibly two) while at Gola with an unidentified smaller raptor. Any joy with working out the bird call we heard?

Does anyone know roughly when the Eleonoras falcons start to arrive in the boquer valley area?

Think I'll try albufereta tomorrow and Sunday I'll hire a car and head to Lluc for the vultures!

I tell you what I'm glad I checked this before sending predictive text changed the meaning considerably!!

Airport Visits

A good tip if you have to pickup or drop off friends at the airport.

Three great birding areas nearby:

- Bassa de Can Guidet. ( great for swallows etc and long eared owls seen )

- Ciudad Jardin ( oystercatchers and turnstone, audouins gulls etc)

- Cami de Muntanya, Son Ferriol ( White Stork, Osprey, Red Kites, Marsh Harriers)

Its great to see friend but greater birding with them!!!

Today spent in the Boquer Valley, never a dull day as it looked great with all the wild rosemary in flower and a blue sky. A bit windy though. A Wryneck calling, my first this year, only one Blue rock Thrush, Booted Eagle, Raven and a near adult Bonelli's Eagle hanging overhead in the wind. Nice. Mike

Today spent in the Boquer Valley, never a dull day as it looked great with all the wild rosemary in flower and a blue sky. A bit windy though. A Wryneck calling, my first this year, only one Blue rock Thrush, Booted Eagle, Raven and a near adult Bonelli's Eagle hanging overhead in the wind. Nice. Mike

Very Nice indeed!

Mike I have just looked at my photos from yesterdays trip to the Valley..I am sure distant view was also Bonelli's. What do you think?

And did you see or hear Balearic Warblers?

See you tomorrow with a new source of pies!!

Attachments

• IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 82
Mike I have just looked at my photos from yesterdays trip to the Valley..I am sure distant view was also Bonelli's. What do you think?

Hi there! I don't think your photos show a Bonelli's Eagle. Looks more like a Common Buzzard to me. Nice find!

Martin

A very enjoyable day with Mike and ggshrike. First at Maristany where the Scoter seems to have departed. A group of House Martins cheered things up.
Later at the Albufera, a pair of Pintails was nice, many Snipe, fishing Osprey, Green sandpiper, Greenshank and Redshank, Dunlin.
Nothing special but it was good fun. Nice pies Mike Mc, thanks. Mike

A very enjoyable day with Mike and ggshrike. First at Maristany where the Scoter seems to have departed. A group of House Martins cheered things up.
Later at the Albufera, a pair of Pintails was nice, many Snipe, fishing Osprey, Green sandpiper, Greenshank and Redshank, Dunlin.
Nothing special but it was good fun. Nice pies Mike Mc, thanks. Mike

Thanks Mike for your great guidance and inward looking.

The Avocets and Black Winged Stilts were sublime.

By the way, barn swallow at Depuredora..without you I Ticked!

Marks out of 10 for the Port de Pollensa Pies please!

Not having much to compare with over here with reference the pies but having played for the Denby Dale Pie Hall badminton team in years gone by I"d give the pies an 8. Should there have been a hint of mint they might have gone to a 9. Big thanks!

Don't remember you mentioning the marbled or quality tufted ducks spotted or interesting snipes

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back