• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I give up birding? (1 Viewer)

Chris Salem

Beginning Birder
Perhaps a dumb question for a birding forum, but better here than anywhere else!

I am having second thoughts about taking up birding as a hobby. My fiance has always really enjoyed watching the finches, cardinals and bluebirds gather around the feeders and birdbaths, etc. and I grew up in a house where my parents also enjoyed gardening and watching birds. It's been such a beautiful spring thus far and almost on a whim it occurred it me that perhaps she and I could take up birding on weekends, traveling to some of the local spots, taking light walks with our binoculars in hand, and spotting some different species of birds. She said she'd be interested, but it's not yet something which we're thrilled about.

I've purchased a couple of field guides which I've been perusing in the bed before falling asleep, looking up common birds, learning a few things along the way; I've purchased one nice pair of binoculars so far; and I've now purchased a "how-to" guide by some guy with the last name 'Dunne'. We could potentially head down to the South Mountains this weekend, go for a stroll, try to spot some birds; however, it sounds like work. After talking to friends and co-workers who also have a backyard birding interest, trying to spot birds in dense foliage and places generally outside of one's backyard isn't particulary easy. Who knows if we'll spot anything! Knowing my fiance, she'll quickly grow bored standing in one spot scanning the trees all in the hope of spotting one bird. And since we're both nubes, we have no idea what we're looking at. And we're both 30 years old, so getting together with a group of baby-boomer birders (no offence) will wear out its welcome fast.

The above scenario is mostly conjectural, though. We haven't tried it, yet - and I think that is what sustains our interest. I also would like to get outside more, experience nature, yet not experience nature in a hiking/camping sort of way. However, I haven't opened the binoculars yet so they are still returnable for a full refund. The books, too. Both of us are on the fence about it. We're young, she's finishing exams and will soon be looking for a job as a massage therapist, I should be looking for a better job, we're planning on building a house in the next few years, and she's already taken up knitting as a hobby.

So, I guess the question is: given everything I've said here, is birding even worth us pursuing at this stage?

So, I guess the question is: given everything I've said here, is birding even worth us pursuing at this stage?

Its entirely up top you at the end of the day. Many birders have gaps where they almost give up birding due to family commitments while others continue their whole lifetime!

CB

You make it sound so arduous!

You have an interest in birds, you have a few books, you have a pair of binoculars, that is all you need. There is no great commitment, there is no line to sign on, if you fancy going for a walk in the woods then go for one, you might see some birds you might not, but you will see wild flowers, maybe some mammals who knows?

You make it sound so arduous!

You have an interest in birds, you have a few books, you have a pair of binoculars, that is all you need. There is no great commitment, there is no line to sign on, if you fancy going for a walk in the woods then go for one, you might see some birds you might not, but you will see wild flowers, maybe some mammals who knows?

its gotta be better than growing old together in front of the TV - :flyaway:

Chris,

Sounds like your question should not be whether to give up birding, but whether to start. Since you don't mention ever having been birding.

In any event, I'd recommend first finding a local birding organization and going on one of their field trips. That way you'll see how people enjoy birding, and it will also be less "work" since the leader will know where to go and how to find the birds, and how to ID them. I'd also try to pick an area you'd like to visit whether or not there are birds there. (But see caveat below).

And we're both 30 years old, so getting together with a group of baby-boomer birders (no offence) will wear out its welcome fast.

Well if you really find the mere thought of socializing with people who are (gasp) a different age than you odious, then yes, I would give up birding. Though birders range all ages (I started at 6), and some engage in what might be termed "extreme birding" (big days and the like), the average age is higher than many hobbies since it's popular among retired folks.

Jim

Well if you really find the mere thought of socializing with people who are (gasp) a different age than you odious, then yes, I would give up birding. Though birders range all ages (I started at 6), and some engage in what might be termed "extreme birding" (big days and the like), the average age is higher than many hobbies since it's popular among retired folks.

Thanks, Jim - and everybody else so far.

Please don't get me wrong: it's not that we find older people "odious," it just becomes more difficult to relate to one another. We're both very open to learning from older persons than ourselves, but the sport would seem more fun and inviting if we knew that persons our own age were involved. I'm sure this is why many retirees take up the sport: gathering with peers.

If age is the discriminant, with the advent of all sorts of social media, I would think it might be rather easy to find like-minded young people in your area. Form your own club. Bird-watching is very rewarding in and of itself. Even if you are alone. More rewarding the more knowledgeable you become and this is what a collectivity of bird-watchers can add to the mix.

No reason at all not to give up (or not start), but don't feel you have to enjoy birds in any particular way. Some of us enjoy watching birds and identifying them, some enjoy studying their behaviour, some enjoy learning about their populations, some enjoy studying their migration, some enjoy seeing how they fit into the broader ecosystem and habitat, some enjoy ticking off new species, some just like their pretty colours (etc.) - and in reality most of us enjoy several of these and other aspects to differing extents.

Getting to know the birds in your yard is a good start but it's not true that watching birds in places generally outside of one's backyard isn't particulary easy. In some places that may be true (such as where there is dense foliage) but in some places, like many wetlands for example, especially if there's a (p)reserve there, it can be really easy to see birds. Learning to identify them will still take time, but there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy watching them even before you've managed to identify all of them (though it will greatly enhance the enjoyment when you do master identification). If you can find others to mentor you then that will help, but the local bird club isn't always the best place to find that (it is worth trying though).

So get out there and look, try to identify but don't worry if that doesn't come quickly - persevere but spend as much time or as little time doing it as you wish. The more time you put in the quicker you'll learn and the more you'll learn, but you can still enjoy it if you go out once a year and only manage to identify a tenth of all the birds you see.

No reason at all not to give up (or not start), but don't feel you have to enjoy birds in any particular way. Some of us enjoy watching birds and identifying them, some enjoy studying their behaviour, some enjoy learning about their populations, some enjoy studying their migration, some enjoy seeing how they fit into the broader ecosystem and habitat, some enjoy ticking off new species, some just like their pretty colours (etc.) - and in reality most of us enjoy several of these and other aspects to differing extents.

Getting to know the birds in your yard is a good start but it's not true that watching birds in places generally outside of one's backyard isn't particulary easy. In some places that may be true (such as where there is dense foliage) but in some places, like many wetlands for example, especially if there's a (p)reserve there, it can be really easy to see birds. Learning to identify them will still take time, but there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy watching them even before you've managed to identify all of them (though it will greatly enhance the enjoyment when you do master identification). If you can find others to mentor you then that will help, but the local bird club isn't always the best place to find that (it is worth trying though).

So get out there and look, try to identify but don't worry if that doesn't come quickly - persevere but spend as much time or as little time doing it as you wish. The more time you put in the quicker you'll learn and the more you'll learn, but you can still enjoy it if you go out once a year and only manage to identify a tenth of all the birds you see.

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your perspective and this encouraging comment.

its gotta be better than growing old together in front of the TV - :flyaway:

:-O! Good point. And much better than Farcebook.

If you (OP) and your fiancee want to share a common interest, birding is a pretty good way to go. It's not just the birds, it's spending time out in nature, getting away from the routine. You don't have to see rarities, or extend your list, you just go and look at them. Simples. Neither do you have to go to go deep into the wilderness (although you can if you want to). There are contributors on here who bird happily in Central Park NYC. Really, if you take it up, you'll know if it's for you or not. The interest will develop naturally, or it won't. If it doesn't, there's always tennis, or bog-snorkelling<;). Best wishes to you and your fiancee, in any case!

Last edited:
:-O! Good point. And much better than Farcebook.

If you (OP) and your fiancee want to share a common interest, birding is a pretty good way to go. It's not just the birds, it's spending time out in nature, getting away from the routine. You don't have to see rarities, or extend your list, you just go and look at them. Simples. Neither do you have to go to go deep into the wilderness (although you can if you want to). There are contributors on here who bird happily in Central Park NYC. Really, if you take it up, you'll know if it's for you or not. The interest will develop naturally, or it won't. If it doesn't, there's always tennis, or bog-snorkelling<;). Best wishes to you and your fiancee, in any case!

Thanks. After gaining some perspective from you pros, this seems like the thing to do!

When I started I went on a few group bird walks where at 45 I was the youngest person there. I was also likely the only one who had the Ramones cranked on the car stereo on the way to the walk.

I've decided I like my birding to be a soliarty experience or one that I share with my wife. Nothing against the older folks at all. I just prefer to be alone.

So you don't have to bird with anyone.

And birding is only work if you make it work. When I'm feeling extra lazy I will sometimes just drive to a park and watch the lake from the comfort of my car. Amazing what you will see sometimes just sitting there for an hour. If you go on a walk though with the negative attitude that you probably won't see anything then maybe birding isn't for you. Part of the appeal for me is never knowing what or if I will see a thing.

All I can say is, "Try it, you may find you like it". I have found that relating to other birders of varying ages is not really that big of a deal. It seemed to be more a "mind set" thing. I would suggest that you give it several chances and not base your decision on just one or two excursions.

Thanks. After gaining some perspective from you pros, this seems like the thing to do!

Glad to hear it Chris. Hope it works out for you.

When I started I went on a few group bird walks where at 45 I was the youngest person there. I was also likely the only one who had the Ramones cranked on the car stereo on the way to the walk.

If Joey Ramone were alive today he'd be 61. Famous birder Kenn Kaufman (58) has his own rock band. You can find me (52) listening to the Ramones, Public Image Ltd., Sonic Youth, etc. while driving on birding trips.

Jim

I find that birding is like having a large family, we all have a common interest, most are friendly, you can join in if you want or do it your own way, you can have some great times, what have you to lose?

I find that birding is like having a large family, we all have a common interest, most are friendly, you can join in if you want or do it your own way, you can have some great times, what have you to lose?

Mind you, now that I think of it, some birders are ape-s**t crazy, maybe best to avoid it altogether...;)

Perhaps a dumb question for a birding forum, but better here than anywhere else!

I am having second thoughts about taking up birding as a hobby. My fiance has always really enjoyed watching the finches, cardinals and bluebirds gather around the feeders and birdbaths, etc. and I grew up in a house where my parents also enjoyed gardening and watching birds. It's been such a beautiful spring thus far and almost on a whim it occurred it me that perhaps she and I could take up birding on weekends, traveling to some of the local spots, taking light walks with our binoculars in hand, and spotting some different species of birds. She said she'd be interested, but it's not yet something which we're thrilled about.

I've purchased a couple of field guides which I've been perusing in the bed before falling asleep, looking up common birds, learning a few things along the way; I've purchased one nice pair of binoculars so far; and I've now purchased a "how-to" guide by some guy with the last name 'Dunne'. We could potentially head down to the South Mountains this weekend, go for a stroll, try to spot some birds; however, it sounds like work. After talking to friends and co-workers who also have a backyard birding interest, trying to spot birds in dense foliage and places generally outside of one's backyard isn't particulary easy. Who knows if we'll spot anything! Knowing my fiance, she'll quickly grow bored standing in one spot scanning the trees all in the hope of spotting one bird. And since we're both nubes, we have no idea what we're looking at. And we're both 30 years old, so getting together with a group of baby-boomer birders (no offence) will wear out its welcome fast.

The above scenario is mostly conjectural, though. We haven't tried it, yet - and I think that is what sustains our interest. I also would like to get outside more, experience nature, yet not experience nature in a hiking/camping sort of way. However, I haven't opened the binoculars yet so they are still returnable for a full refund. The books, too. Both of us are on the fence about it. We're young, she's finishing exams and will soon be looking for a job as a massage therapist, I should be looking for a better job, we're planning on building a house in the next few years, and she's already taken up knitting as a hobby.

Take it from me Chris, get out birding while you can. I've been stuck at home the past few weeks due to ill health and would give my left arm to be able to go out birding. Who knows what's around the corner, maybe the pitter patter of little feet on your newly built home in a few years time will certainly curtail any free time you have. So get out and enjoy the great outdoors but keep an eye out for all those mentalist birders.:t:

Ger.

Glad to hear it Chris. Hope it works out for you.

If Joey Ramone were alive today he'd be 61. Famous birder Kenn Kaufman (58) has his own rock band. You can find me (52) listening to the Ramones, Public Image Ltd., Sonic Youth, etc. while driving on birding trips.

Jim

There are punk rock birders. Just not here. perhaps I will start a local group.

I also told the wife that she could hide my binoculars if I ever start dressing like a birder.

I say give it up now, once you get hooked, it's too late ;)

It's a slippery slope - no more relaxing beach holidays, no more time to do the usual activities that normal folk engage in, hell even the job and very marriage that you ponder sometimes end up in jeopardy. Yep, give it up now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back