• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Today, whilst going out to see one of the Hotels in Falmouth go up in flames. Thankfully no one has been hurt!

174. Swift

Five birds today, so I'm up to 184 for the year.

180. Orchard Oriole
181. Yellow-breasted Chat
182. Great Crested Flycatcher
183. Scarlet Tanager
184. Red-eyed Vireo

The chat and flycatcher were West Virginia state lifers, numbers 157 and 158, respectively.

Dave

April 30th at Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri

195. Yellow Warbler
196. Sora
197. Western Kingbird

May 1st at Missouri Western State University Campus, Saint Joseph, Missouri

198. Common Yellowthroat

You're really zooming along, Larry! Looks like Joplin was particularly productive.
Unfortunately, we're still cursed with southerly winds here and songbird migration this year has produced worse birding than in almnost any past year. I'm heading to the coast again this weekend in hopes of seeing some shorebirds and - fingers crossed - some more warblers.
Jeff

I didn't go birding today, but I did see a new bird for the year in my yard. It was singing high in a spruce tree and it took me quite a while to spot it, but I eventually got good a look at it.

188. Cape May Warbler

Dave

As birding trips go todays was pretty awful, for me at least... Dipped the Woodchat Shrike near St. Just, Cornwall and then missed the Red-rumped Swallow at Marazion, just couldn't get on the blighter that my mate found. Gutted as it would have been a UK lifer! Did get a few year ticks though.

175. Reed Warbler
176. Sedge Warbler
177. Ringed Plover (How has it taken this long!?)

On our way to Elkhart, Indiana we stopped in at Dunn Ranch Nature Conservancy Area at Eagleville, Missouri.

199. Bobolink

Other notable birds in the area were: Red-headed Woodpecker, Loggerhead Shrike, Upland Sandpiper and Eastern Kingbird.

Then stopped in at Neil Smith National Wildlife Refuge near Des Moines, Iowa. I got a couple of new year birds but unfortunately I could not add them to my Missouri Year List. Tennessee Warbler and Blue-headed Vireo.

Several migrants at work this morning including
232. Chestnut-sided Warbler

That plus Eastern Kingbird and Common Nighthawks brought my Harris County list to 173

Three new birds for the year this morning, including a state lifer (Acadian Flycatcher), so I'm up to 191.

189. Magnolia Warbler
190. Tennessee Warbler
191. Acadian Flycatcher

Dave

This morning I participated in a bird walk as part of the International Migratory Bird Day activities. The highlight was a new bird for the year and for my West Virginia list.

192. Blackburnian Warbler

Then later birding on my own at another location I found another year tick.

193. Chestnut-sided Warbler

Dave

Two new year birds today, including a West Virginia state lifer (sandpiper).

194. Least Sandpiper
195. Nashville Warbler

The sandpiper was unexpectedly at a tiny watering hole in a cow pasture. Here, beause it's mountainous and the lakes tend to be deep without any muddy shores, there is very little shorebird habitat and any shorebirds that do show up can be found at any body of water with the least bit of a muddy shoreline.

Dave

A weekend around Anahuac and High Island turned up only two new warblers:
233. Yellow Warbler
234. Bay-breasted Warbler.

However, it also produced some other new 2012 birds:
235. Yellow-billed Cuckoo
236. Swainson's Hawk
237. Blue Grosbeak
238. Least Bittern (6 in 15 minutes!)
239. Wilson's Phalarope
240. Buff-bellied Sandpiper
241. Least Sandpiper
242. Stilt Sandpiper
243. White-rumped Sandpiper
244. Whimbrel
245. Hudsonian Godwit

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back