• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Banded Black-tailed Godwit. (1 Viewer)

Sunbird24

Photographed this at Moro Marsh, Valencia, Spain this afternoon. It has a blue ring and a pale green ring with a tag VJ5 on the left leg. How does one find where and when this was done. I assume its a passage migrant.

Attachments

• Black-Tailed Godwit, MM, 6th Sep 2017 -3471.jpg
    Black-Tailed Godwit, MM, 6th Sep 2017 -3471.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 109
Hi,

Photographed this at Moro Marsh, Valencia, Spain this afternoon. It has a blue ring and a pale green ring with a tag VJ5 on the left leg. How does one find where and when this was done. I assume its a passage migrant.

cr-birding.org has a database of colour ring projects.

While it gives a lot of specific criteria to search for, my impression is that the data often is not updated when coding practice changes, so it's better to try some more general database queries if the specific ones don't succeed.

Here's the link for querying all entries for Black-tailed Godwit projects:

http://cr-birding.org/colourproject...&tid_2=&tid=All&tid_1=All&tid_4=All&tid_5=All

One of the records from the list of results has an attachment listing a guide to ring and project identification:

http://cr-birding.org/sites/default/files/prattachment/BTGodwit Key v 17042016_1.pdf

To me, it looks as if the colour of the coded flag is actually the difficult to recognize colour "lime", which would make it a Dutch bird, so the contact would be Jos Hooijmeijer - j.c.hooijmeijer(at)rug.nl

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back