• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did I plant a fruitless Viburnium? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

I recently planted a Viburnium called Mohican Viburnium. (lantana)
While researching on the internet I noted that it was supposed to have flowered in April or May but I didn't see any evidence that it had flowered. When would it produce berries and how can I tell if it will.Do these Viburniums sometimes go fruitless? :h?:

lvn600 said:
I recently planted a Viburnium called Mohican Viburnium. (lantana)
While researching on the internet I noted that it was supposed to have flowered in April or May but I didn't see any evidence that it had flowered. When would it produce berries and how can I tell if it will.Do these Viburniums sometimes go fruitless? :h?:
Hi lvn600 I recently is the problem it needs time to root which is its priority at the moment it should produce flowers next year which will then produce berries a handful of sulphate of potash scattered around the base of the plant will help to encourage fruits I don't now about this plant but some berrying shrubs need male & female to produce berries hope this has been some help.

Regards Snapper.

Thanks-I guess I'll be waiting till next year and planting at least one more although I don't think its a matter of male/female like hollies.

You may want to add another variety within that same species. If you go to the GardenWeb forums and search for viburnums in the Shrubs or Wildlife Gardens forums, you will find a wealth of information about them.

I recall reading a lengthy thread which explained how planting several varieties would enhance pollination and fruiting, but I was unable to find it.

However, I find that nurseries are slowly coming around & offering the different varieties for customers. If you have a favorite nursery, they could guide you; and a Google search may turn up additional information about this subject.

What I mention is similar to planting several different varieties of blueberries so that they will cross pollinate each other and produce more berries.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back