• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

My sister is still in Norfolk and just called to say she'd had cracking views of the Rustic in the open feeding on grass seed on the lawn there - so get there now!

Swallowtail butterflies at Upton Fen today.

1 Hobby

dragonflies too, but haven't seen any Norfolk Hawkers yet (hope the Hobby's haven't eaten them all)

wildflowers coming along nicely

Sunshine .... yay ... :cool:

Swallowtails and Norfolk Hawkers are out at Strumpshaw and I managed to get some cracking views today, including both species next to each other on the same plant.

Can be seen on the public path to the west of the reserve in the garden of the house on the right, in amongst the flower bed or feeding in the rougher grass further back and right. Several on the reserve too and a few interesting plants like Milk Parsley, Marsh Pea, Saw Sedge and Hemp Agrimony etc...

no Spotted crakes have been calling yet though

Tim Allwood said:
Swallowtails and Norfolk Hawkers are out at Strumpshaw and I managed to get some cracking views today, including both species next to each other on the same plant.

Can be seen on the public path to the west of the reserve in the garden of the house on the right, in amongst the flower bed or feeding in the rougher grass further back and right. Several on the reserve too and a few interesting plants like Milk Parsley, Marsh Pea, Saw Sedge and Hemp Agrimony etc...

no Spotted crakes have been calling yet though

don't suppose you noted any avocets etc at buckenham?

matt

Hi Matt

I didn't drop in there, was too bloody hot. There were Black Terns reported there earlier

Any keen to see Swallowtails could also try How Hill or Catfield Fen reserves

Tim

durham birder needing help!

hi tim

im birding in norfolk next weekend, ill be there sat/mon and was just wondering if the rspb reserves would be the best places to visit for my first trip to norfolk. Some of the species on my want list are hobby,golden oriole,montague harrier, stone curlew, spotted crake and a few of the less hard to get ie turtle dove etc. I was going to go to the rspb reserve which is good for hobbys and golden oriole first, i cant remember the name of the top of my head but it begins with L, then iwas heading back up to titchwell and nearby reserves. Do you think this is a good route ive choosen and are my want species at these reserves, if not would it be possible for you to guide me in the correct direction for a good weekend of birding!
much appriciated
steve

Hi Steve

Lakeheath! Should provide you with Orioles (be patient) and Hobby.

Might be worth calling in at Weeting Heath reserve for Stone Curlew and Woodlark

Salthouse Heath for Nightingale and Nightjar, both towards dusk

Titchwell should be good for Bearded Tit, hopefully Cetti's Warbler, lots of Marsh Harriers, maybe a Bittern. Cley also good for all those birds

Honey Buzzards are displaying at Great Ryburgh watchpoint

Let me know if you need the details for the Montagu's Harrier site

Strumpshaw after dark for Spotted Crake calling but none as of today, yet... no chance of seeing one though

atb
Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Steve

Lakeheath! Should provide you with Orioles (be patient) and Hobby.

Might be worth calling in at Weeting Heath reserve for Stone Curlew and Woodlark

Salthouse Heath for Nightingale and Nightjar, both towards dusk

Titchwell should be good for Bearded Tit, hopefully Cetti's Warbler, lots of Marsh Harriers, maybe a Bittern. Cley also good for all those birds

Honey Buzzards are displaying at Great Ryburgh watchpoint

Let me know if you need the details for the Montagu's Harrier site

Strumpshaw after dark for Spotted Crake calling but none as of today, yet... no chance of seeing one though

atb
Tim
hi tim
thanx for the prompt reply!
that info is just perfect, cant wait to set off now! about the montagu's harrier site, would it be possible to get that info from you tim.
thanx once again.
steve

golden O --Hockwold Washes (formerly Lakenheath Washes)just left of thetford on B1112

stone C weeting heath on A1065 near Brandon-just a short way from lakenheath

then for other 2 north Norfolk
I see tim has answered but I'll leave it as may help abit

keith

Last edited:
At weeting heath look out for wood lark and spot flycatcher and maybe little owl if lucky

presently several Hobbys at minsmere but other 2 will need to go to North Norfolk

keith

keithyed said:
golden O --Hockwold Washes (formerly Lakenheath Washes)just left of thetford on B1112

stone C weeting heath on A1065 near Brandon-just a short way from lakenheath

then for other 2 north Norfolk
I see tim has answered but I'll leave it as may help abit

keith
hi kieth
thanx for the directions, they will come in handy and make my trip easier!
thanx
steve

Flitcham is meant to be about as reliable as anywhere for Turtle Dove - I met a few birders last week who connected there.

I believe that there is a hide and that they get on the telegraph wires there?

thank you for your help!

hi tim

i think ive made my mind up on the route, but could you tell me if they are in the correct order. I intend to start of at lakeheath and work my way back up.
lakeheath
weeting heath
salthouse heath
titchwell
im not to sure which order to fit in the honey buzzards & montagu's harrier. i dont no the whereabouts of these reserves as ive havent been to norfolk before. i'll be using a sat nav to find these places, so are all the mentioned actually names of towns, if not it would be appriciated if anyone reading this thread new the postcodes for the above destenations.
thanx again tim and any norfolk birders who can help!
i'll check the thread again soon to gather any helpful info
thanx
steve

fastshot1 said:
im not to sure which order to fit in the honey buzzards & montagu's harrier.
The Montagu's should be active throughout the day. Honey's will need much more patience as they tend to fly above the canopy much less from now until the end of July - best time would be from 09:00 'til 13:00, take a snack, drinks and a seat :t:

Cheers,

Andy.

I'd give the Honey's a miss unless you really want them, if this heat continues the heat haze makes viewing difficult, they can be distant and you might need to give it a long time - with all the quality birding available I think your time could be better spent.

As for using Sat Nav, surely with access to the Internet you could perhaps locate these sites on a map first just to give you an idea of where you are going?!

If going to salthouse for nightingales and nightjars it should be your last port of call as needs to be near dusk.
Dont forget tichwell can be a days work as normally plenty to see.
also if going to salthouse Cley is always worth a look,just before salthouse.also nice food at the pub at salthouse and good views over the marsh

as for directions-- are you regged with birdguides.com if so click on norfolk for a list of places and a map and directions to all the places can be got.

have a great time hope the weather stays nice
regards
keith

keithyed said:
If going to salthouse for nightingales and nightjars it should be your last port of call as needs to be near dusk.
Dont forget tichwell can be a days work as normally plenty to see.
also if going to salthouse Cley is always worth a look,just before salthouse.also nice food at the pub at salthouse and good views over the marsh

as for directions-- are you regged with birdguides.com if so click on norfolk for a list of places and a map and directions to all the places can be got.

have a great time hope the weather stays nice
regards
keith
hi kieth
yes im with birdguides, i'll get that info from the the site thanx and im surew i'll have a great time in norfolk, i've heard a lot of good reports!
thanx
steve

Those wanting to see Norfolk Hawkers could try Whitlingham Broad in Norwich - there were 7 males holding territory Monday morning.

Hi Guys

Off to Norfolk tomorrow till Sunday.

Anywhere along the A149 between Titchwell and Salthouse for a decent cuppa and lunch time snack...........without going into places like Wells if poss.

I know Blakeney has a cafe or 2 and Holkham Hall also has a cafe but anywhere else you could let me know about.

Thanks

Mark

ps whats the name of the pub in Warhams that does treacle puddings and the like?

Cley Beach cafe does good beans on toast etc

The bakers on A149 on eastern outskirts of Hunstanton (very close to Titchwell) does great real coffee and snacks as does the beach cafe there near golf

Salthouse has a newish place on the green and chip shop might be open opposite beach road

A 5 minute detour to Burnham Market might be worthwhile if you want more choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back