• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

King Eider

Found by Phil Vines when it flew in from the East and landed just East of sheringham shelter. Very difficult to be sure of 100% id against the light. But we went to West Runton car park as it was drifting East. It was picked up in the distance drifting towards us and was soon off the car park, although some way out. the light was much better here, where it is still (11.45) feeding.

John

Last edited:
Not a bad way to start the holidays. Cheers Mr. Vines! A little distant off West Runton when I was there around half 11, but a good chance to make out structure and observe the bird feeding. Hopefully this one will stick around and allow closer views over the next few days.
Cheers,
Jim.

Couple of record shots of the King Eider attached, and whilst far from brilliant, they're okish given the distance it was.

Also shot of juv Med Gull which seems to be hanging around Sheringham seafront.

Simon

Attachments

• KingEider.jpg
    KingEider.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 185
  • KingEider1.jpg
    KingEider1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 222
  • MedGull1.jpg
    MedGull1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 118
Couple of record shots of the King Eider attached, and whilst far from brilliant, they're okish given the distance it was.

Also shot of juv Med Gull which seems to be hanging around Sheringham seafront.

Simon

Looks like the same bird that was in Yorks a few days ago. Good bit of relocation. Presumably it will carry on heading south....

In the field and from the pics, the lack of white on the tail and the extent of pale behind and above eye makes it look different to the Yorkshire bird.

john

In the field and from the pics, the lack of white on the tail and the extent of pale behind and above eye makes it look different to the Yorkshire bird.

john

Hi John

I had decent views of the bird from Beeston yesterday but, contrary to your description, i noted much white on the tail. I can't really comment on the white behind and above the eye so i'll leave that aspect alone. To my eye, its state of moult looks remarkably similar to the photos of the Filey bird and, whilst obviously not conclusive, it must surely be more than just coincidence that when the Filey bird disappeared, the Norfolk bird turned up the very next day just a 100 miles away.

Decent bird whatever its origin and thanks to the finders for getting the news out so quickly.

Regards

Graeme.

Saw the King Eider yesterday, which was a good Norfolk tick to get back having been out of county for other recent records. Also, a Marsh Harrier over my house in Swardeston today was a decent garden tick :)

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Penny, was getting depressed at being below 900 anyhow!!

Graeme
Conceed about the white on the tail, others saw this, I must have left before it turned to a decent angle to see it. However I am not alone in thinking the bird, from photos, does not look 100% like the Filey bird.

John

Just looked at the birdguides pics and agree they make it look much more like the norflk bird than the close ups on surfbirds.

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

Last edited:
Has the Eider has made its way to Winterton now? With a bit of luck it will carry on to Gorleston and I can stroll down the road and take a look in my lunch break. ;)

Ron

Went chasing after the Hooded Crow around Kelling and Salthouse,

On the 17th July we had what was probably this bird coming in off the sea to the west of Sheringham, although a little too distant to be 100%, & the date also causing some doubt at the time. I know one was seen in the Eye Field briefly (presumably the same), but does anybody have an arrival date for this bird ?

This is obviously fantastic news, and credit to all the staff at Holkham.

With Purple Heron breeding in Kent, Little Bittern in Somerset, and now a whole colony of Spoonbills here in Norfolk, could these be obvious signs of climate change?

Great news regarding the Spoonbills. Breeding in style, 6 pairs! I would agree Mr. Sim that this can in some respects be attributed to climate change, but also to natural range expansion of these species. I wonder if a watchpoint has or will be set up?
Once the rain had ceased, I headed out to RSPB Buckenham Marshes. Very quiet on the reserve, I had to work for a Redshank! However, it was great to watch a very dark Common Buzzard sparring with a female Marsh Harrier, mid air of course. Fight! A male Marsh Harrier, Kestrel and odd looking juvenile Grey Wagtail were the other birds of note.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
JUV Monty's

Planning to day trip Norfolk on Saturday. Just wondered if Monty's still lurking around in the normal spots.

Thanks.:cat:

It is a good day to be a Norfolk Spoonbill -think they are all double dutch!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back