• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Red-footed Falcon

Hoping to get to Horsey tomorrow to find the Red-footed falcon. Pager says bird at Horsey Gap. My OS map does not show a " Gap ".
Can anyone give me directions.
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen

Horsey gap

Horsey Gap is basically the National Trust car park. If you look at the map a couple of posts up, the falcon has been between the carpark in the north and the arrow (where a track from the Nelsons Head pub meets the path along the dunes).

The entrance to the carpark is a bumpy track off a 90 degree bend on the coast road. Once parked head south-east.

Hoping to get to Horsey tomorrow to find the Red-footed falcon. Pager says bird at Horsey Gap. My OS map does not show a " Gap ".
Can anyone give me directions.
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen

Hi all, a question re Med Gulls, as mentioned in my last post I was suprised to find them foraging in grass along with Black-heads at Stffkey camping site. Just how common are they now in Norfolk, I ask as 16 were counted late morning yesterday, as follows:- 9 adults, 5 second summers and 2 first summers.

That is the most I've ever seen in in one place in the UK, its possible there were more as there was a lot of activity with birds coming and going all the time. Quite something to get so close they are obviously used to us campers?

Again yesterday, Spoonbill flew East over Stiffkey saltmarsh at 17.00hrs, a single ad Little Gull and a Greenshank were seen mid afternoon.

Apologies for not posting yesterday puter battery was flat and no means of charging.

Good birding all

Stewart

Superb evening yesterday at Buxton Heath treated to numerous churring Night jars and close up views of hunting bird, before dusk really started to set in. Have uploaded instructions as to best place to be for views on to trailhead app. which appears a good method for logging local birding spots for the benefit of others..

Hi all, a question re Med Gulls, as mentioned in my last post I was suprised to find them foraging in grass along with Black-heads at Stffkey camping site. Just how common are they now in Norfolk, I ask as 16 were counted late morning yesterday, as follows:- 9 adults, 5 second summers and 2 first summers.

That is the most I've ever seen in in one place in the UK, its possible there were more as there was a lot of activity with birds coming and going all the time. Quite something to get so close they are obviously used to us campers?

Again yesterday, Spoonbill flew East over Stiffkey saltmarsh at 17.00hrs, a single ad Little Gull and a Greenshank were seen mid afternoon.

Apologies for not posting yesterday puter battery was flat and no means of charging.

Good birding all

Stewart

I've certainly seen far more this year than before, they really do stand out!
They are often seen at Cley but it seems they are becoming more and more common with every year.
Hope you are enjoying Norfolk!

re Meds: If you come to Yarmouth you can throw bread for them, and have them almost sit on your hand.

In other news, a Silver-washed Fritillary has been reported seen yesterday at Wheatfen reserve. Worth keeping your eyes out for a large orange and black butterfly in woods in the south and center of the county. Beware that Dark Green frit (almost identical) is flying at Horsey and the north coast, so good views are needed at those spots to be sure.

Red-footed Falcon

The Red-footed Falcon was about 1/2 a mile south of Horsey Gap car park yesterday favouring a single post at the western edge of the field for about 2 hours between about 2:30 and 4:30. It only left its perch for 3 short sallies in that time.

Attachments

• Red-footed Falcon 110615  DSCN3741 snip.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon 110615 DSCN3741 snip.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 140
  • Red-footed Falcon 110615 IMG_8584.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon 110615 IMG_8584.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 115
The Red-footed Falcon was about 1/2 a mile south of Horsey Gap car park yesterday favouring a single post at the western edge of the field for about 2 hours between about 2:30 and 4:30. It only left its perch for 3 short sallies in that time.

Thanks for letting me have a look through your scope having left mine in Norwich (doh!), your shots came out better than mine, were these (or atleast the perched shot) the digiscoped rather than slr-ed shots?)

Dave

Thanks for letting me have a look through your scope having left mine in Norwich (doh!), your shots came out better than mine, were these (or atleast the perched shot) the digiscoped rather than slr-ed shots?)

Dave

Hi Dave,

Nice to meet you at the falcon. The perched shot was digiscoped and the flight shot was with the SLR.

Dave

Anyone any info on this probable roller? How do you even get a 'probable' roller... I guess a non-birder could report a large bright blue bird to a birder looking for yesterdays bluethroat

Lakenheath was alive with cuckoos today, no idea how many were there but saw 3 males together, and 2 females, could have been more as they seemed to be calling all over the reserve. Heard one Oriole singing.

Last edited:
Anyone any info on this probable roller? How do you even get a 'probable' roller... I guess a non-birder could report a large bright blue bird to a birder looking for yesterdays bluethroat

Lakenheath was alive with cuckoos today, no idea how many were there but saw 3 males together, and 2 females, could have been more as they seemed to be calling all over the reserve. Heard one Oriole singing.

Nothing more than RBA put out really! The likelihood is that a non birder has reported it to someone looking for the RSB!
Roller up in Argyll as well but not sure what the chances are of it being the Suffolk bird!
Good to hear the cuckoos are doing well! Strumpshaw seems to have a few at the moment as well.

Red-footed Falcon

Showed really well at Horsey this evening on posts at the Nelson Head Track.

Attachments

• IMGP3997.1.JPG
    IMGP3997.1.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMGP4004.1.JPG
    IMGP4004.1.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 323

NO - it wasn't a non-birder - it was a very active birder - ME! Only just home, been out in the field early morning til dusk. Full account shortly on blog of why I asked RBA to put 'probable'.

Also awesome views/photos of the Red-footed Falcon 10ft away in a tree at Horsey.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
NO - it wasn't a non-birder - it was a very active birder - ME! Only just home, been out in the field early morning til dusk. Full account shortly on blog of why I asked RBA to put 'probable'.

Also awesome views/photos of the Red-footed Falcon 10ft away in a tree at Horsey.

Penny:girl:

Ah sorry Penny! Apologies, Just after only one report of a possible Roller I thought it might be!
Cheers for clarifying it though! Look forward to reading the blog :)

Thats ok - you weren't to know.;)

Blog completed now.
:gn:

Very true! Have read your update, does sound very likely and knowing your bird knowledge got no reason to doubt it! South-West winds may have blown it out to sea but they haven't been all that strong!
I'm planning to go out tomorrow morning in that area before the rain hits so I will keep you posted just in case! :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back