• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Just back from a successful litter pick at Kelling. We managed 7 full refuse sacks of rubbish. Everything from Mars Bar, Nescafe, Maxwell House and Walkers were noted on the resident front as well as a vagrant Goud Appel carton, nice!

Other items of note included an Orange toilet seat; I mean come on, makes that dreadful Avocado colour look like Pearl White. Oh, and a Elizabeth George (novelist who's works were the bases of BBC's The Inspector Lynley Mysteries) novel, which Moss Taylor tells me was sticking very close to the Orange toilet seat for a prolonged period. Presumably a Desert Warbler - Desert Wheatear relationship never noted in washeduponabeachology.

Many thanks to Moss Taylor also, who was down there picking up masses of trash too and for him taking a load of our bags in his van to the tip. Much appreciated.

Also, I would like to send my thoughts out to the family of Cameron Bespolka. The young British birder who was killed in Austria this Tuesday. I am aware people die before their time all over this planet, but you seem to reflect that bit more when it is someone from our own community. Makes all the shit we give each other through this hobby seem very pathetic indeed.

Look after each other, look after your planet and enjoy your birds, guys.

Much love,

Kieran xxx

Last edited:
Brancaster 0900-1035hrs

Barn Owl, Sparrowhawk, Chiffchaff, Stonechat, Bearded Tit several both on fresh and saltmarsh side of road, Lapwing c100, Wigeon, Goldeneye on freshmarsh side, Bullfinch. No Cetti's heard, prior to floods at least 3 could be heard and seen.

Also, I would like to send my thoughts out to the family of Cameron Bespolka. The young British birder who was killed in Austria this Tuesday. I am aware people die before their time all over this planet, but you seem to reflect that bit more when it is someone from our own community. Makes all the shit we give each other through this hobby seem very pathetic indeed.

Much love,

Kieran xxx
:t::t::t:

Swans

My first sightings this season of both Bewick and Whooper swans in the normal area between Catfield, Ludham and Potter. A mixed flock of around 40 birds.
They seem to be much later this year. Any thoughts?

Brancaster 0800-1030

A relatively quiet morning. Buzzard, Bearded Tit, Goldeneye. Beach had Ringed Plover small party of 12 birds, Sanderling, and on the sea Red Breasted Merganser, Red Throated Diver, Great Crested Grebe.

Obliging Black-necked Grebe still showing well at Snettisham RSPB this morning

Attachments

• BNGrebe1.jpg
    BNGrebe1.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 151
  • BNGrebe2.jpg
    BNGrebe2.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 768
Just back from a successful litter pick at Kelling. We managed 7 full refuse sacks of rubbish. Everything from Mars Bar, Nescafe, Maxwell House and Walkers were noted on the resident front as well as a vagrant Goud Appel carton, nice!

Other items of note included an Orange toilet seat; I mean come on, makes that dreadful Avocado colour look like Pearl White. Oh, and a Elizabeth George (novelist who's works were the bases of BBC's The Inspector Lynley Mysteries) novel, which Moss Taylor tells me was sticking very close to the Orange toilet seat for a prolonged period. Presumably a Desert Warbler - Desert Wheatear relationship never noted in washeduponabeachology.

Many thanks to Moss Taylor also, who was down there picking up masses of trash too and for him taking a load of our bags in his van to the tip. Much appreciated.

Much love,

Kieran xxx

Yizers wheres my Thai like button gawdarnit,
Lovely action, I can still see those light boxes rusting in the shallows of the North sea
very well said Coastgropper

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just a quick one. Wondering if anyone is going down to Portland for the Brunni this weekend and would like to cut their fuel cost. If so, please inbox me. Cheers.

Hope you all had a nice Christmas.

Kieran

Lovely sunset over Titchwell. 16+ Avocet on fresh marsh, Golden Plover flock, 2+ Pintail, 6+ Marsh Harriers in to roost near the dead trees - we were pleased to see them after the reports of some roost areas being abandoned following inundation during the recent tidal surge.

- Alan

Avoiding the crowds at Portland, I headed for Edgefield tip where the Glauc was on view-albeit asleep most of the time :(

The Richards Pipit at Kelling was tricky for a start, but gave itself up in the end...One Lapland Bunting also here-flew over calling.

Lastly, one Med Gull at Titchwell was the best I could get from the freshmarsh. One Great Northern Diver on the sea also.

Really need a Brünnich's in Norfolk now ;)

Walked out to Blakeney Point today to find an Ivory Gull:-O, shingle now worse than before, ankle deep in places:eek!: No birds of note though!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Buckenham Marshes

Had a very pleasant walk from Strumpshaw, along to Buckenham station and down to the river today with my daughter.
Was able to show her a Pair of Bullfinches up close with the morning sun on them, and then we found a pair of wings, from a freshly predated Golden Plover, on the verge below an Oak. The notches in the breastbone suggested that this was the work of a Peregrine, and it was very fresh, probably this morning. We then carried on down to the river to see the lapwings, widgeon etc and were treated to a fly through from a peregrine, right past the new hide, which sent the duck into a great wheeling mass of birds. A single snipe flying high and fast was the last highlight of a very enjoyable walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back