• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member - just ordered FZ18 (1 Viewer)

pilsman

Hi, all.

Just signed up. First post. I've been lurking for a few weeks. I'm a beginning birder and was planning on buying a DSLR, but after reading the very informative posts from everyone here about the FZ18, I decided to order it instead. (I think I got one of the last new ones available!) I definitely would prefer not to have a big and heavy camera and your photos of what the FZ18 can do convinced me. I used to own a film SLR years ago, so I know the FZ18 - from what you've shown me with your excellent photos - can come mighty close to SLR photo standards. Also, I decided I did not want the FZ28 after reading your comments about the smaller EVF, regardless of the other improvements.

So now I'm patiently waiting for my FZ18 to arrive. Maybe next week...

Tom

You won't regret it. I bought one earlier this year along with Olympus TCON 17, very happy with it.

Hi Tom,

A warm welcome to BirdForum. I am sure you will find plenty to interest you on this wonderful, informative website. A friend of mine uses a FZ18 and has had good results with it. Best of luck!

Mike

Thank you all for the welcomes.

Camera arrived today. Wow - manual is almost 150 pages! A little overwhelming to this "old fart" in his 60s. But, I guess more is better, compared to some of the skimpy documentation some complex electronic gadgets come with these days.

I plan to take it slow. Lots of shooting in Automatic Mode at first. And I'm glad it's there. But I'm sure I'll have some questions later... Good to know you guys and gals are here...

Tom

'Intelligent auto, iA' is a good place to start. I use it a lot. The one button push 'backlight' facility available in iA is useful to compensate lighting for birds perched on branches against the light.

Hi, all!

I'm in the same boat as pilsman. :-O

My new (well, actually I think it's a demo product) FZ18 (silver) just arrived this morning. I am very excited to go out and take some pictures today!

Pete

I never heard of an FZ18 before, but now I look, I find it's "Out of stock" or "Discontinued"... is this a product that came and went or is there a more up to date version?

I have an FZ18 and it got me started with bird photography. Stick to the optical zoom and you will get impressive pictures. This camera was my first digital and I am 64. At first it was daunting, but I learned a little at at time. Buying this camera was the smartest thing I have ever done in photography. The coolist thing is you can take as many pictures as you want and you don't have to pay for developing unless you want to. Have fun.

Dan

Update -New Member - just ordered FZ18

I love my FZ18. For those who are trying to find one, you can still find new ones if you search on the internet - but you'll probably have to pay more than the newer FZ28 - which is more available. But, for bird photography, I think the FZ18 is better.

Here are a few of my latest photos - taken on Intelligent Auto - as I'm still learning. Also, they're hand-held - no tripod!

Attachments

• 063a.jpg
    063a.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 087a.jpg
    087a.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 60
Great photos, pilsman. Very detailed. How close were you from the subjects?

Thought I share some of mine just taken this afternoon. Most were in Sports mode, I think.

Cheers,

Pete

Attachments

• 2009-02-11-Bald Eagle.jpg
    2009-02-11-Bald Eagle.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 188
  • 2009-02-11-Bald Eagle2.jpg
    2009-02-11-Bald Eagle2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 2009-02-11-Northern Flicker.jpg
    2009-02-11-Northern Flicker.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 2009-02-11-Great Blue Heron.jpg
    2009-02-11-Great Blue Heron.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 2009-02-11-Red-tailed Hawk.jpg
    2009-02-11-Red-tailed Hawk.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 160
Pete asked: "How close were you from the subjects?"

1st pic - about 20 feet and 2nd about 40 feet.

I like you pics too. Looks like you've mastered the technique of manual focusing through tree branches. I still find that hard to do quickly before the bird moves. But, I'm working on it.

Thank you, pilsman. I used Spot Focusing for those pictures. Just have to keep your hands really steady and aim as best as you can on the subject. But yes, this camera focuses slow when the bird is in flight (or the subject is moving fast). I haven't really get a decent bird-in-flight picture yet. Still, I love this camera.

I posted some more of my favorite pictures (from today) in my blog, feel free to visit it.

Pete

Great blog, Pete! I've bookmarked it and will follow your continuing birding adventures.

I envy your location there on the Pacific coast and with the high mountains in the background. Lots of different environments for raptors, waterfowl, and others. North Alabama, with the Tennessee River running through and all it's dams and lakes and the huge Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge is a great birding area also. We have a few bald eagles that hang out during the winter over at Lake Guntersville, but it's about an hour's drive away from me, so, I don't get there often. And seeing them is hit or miss. I saw one a few weeks ago, but just flying by. Not able to get a pic.

P.S. Glad to see you like the FZ18 as much as I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back