• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Sort of Worm? What is it? Northumberland (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

The thing that looks like a piece of thread in the photo was writhing around in a puddle on a track in the Cheviot Hills in Northumberland today.

It's about 4 inches long.

Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0465-copy.jpg
    IMG_0465-copy.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 67
i found one exactly like this about 3 years ago and hd no idea what it was, so i contacted my mocal nature trust and they helpfully informed me it is a 'gordiid' a type of worm, it lives in water, the larvae however parasite another insect, earwigs and crickets usually being the most common hosts, as the larvae grow the earwig/cricket has an urge to drink, so they go to water where the young gordiids hatch out and the host sadly dies.

here is a link to explain it in further detail:http://bsweb.unl.edu/labs/janovy/ben/info.html

rather interesting!

Thanks Espen.

I had an idea that it might be some sort of parasite, but I thought it might have had something to do with the sheep that roam the area.

Never seen one before, and I wouldn't have seen this one if a child coming the other way hadn't spotted it wriggling in the pool.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back