• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-billed or Western Capercaillie in northern Mongolia (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I have just returned from Khovsgul Lake in northern Mongolia where I flushed a male capercaillie without good enough views to identify it with certainty. However, the vocalizations that attracted me to it were very distinctive and I was hoping that someone can help me identify it. It sounded like two wooden sticks being banged together in a distinctive rhythm (my brother felt it was more like a clicking sound). It was clearly a vocalization and different to the sound of a woodpecker, especially the distinctive and repeated rhythm. In reading about Western Capercaillie I have come across descriptions of a champagne cork sound, which is clearly different to what I heard. We later heard a second bird making the same sound, but we could not locate it. At least this means it must be a reasonably common call to make. Any comments would be most welcome.

Tom

Offhand I can't think of the vocal differences between Black-billed and Western Capercaille but I do know that both species are present in the Altai / Sayan mountains, just to the north of you - "dipped" on both earlier this month there. Unless you can get views ( or someone knows their vocalisations! ) I'd say you have to go with Capercaille ? sp.
Chris

Hi Tom,

Madge and McGowan - Pheasants, Partridge and Grouse, describe Black-billed as louder than Western and consisting of rythmic clicks, some similar to Western and others that are resonant. Together sounds like tack-tack-tack rolling into a climatic tr-r-rack, usually lasting 5-7 seconds, sometimes up to 12. Song audible for 0.5km.

Western is described as commencing with a low-intensity 'tapping-phase', disyllabic clicks, followed by a 'drum-roll phase', clicks uttered rapidly and finally a quick gurgled 'whetting phase' sounding like a strangled squealing. It does say that western populations also emit the popping sound during drum-roll. Maybe the eastern population doesn't do this?

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back