• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping records (1 Viewer)

Hi Peter thank you for taking the time to give me your recomendation and review.
I downloaded the Birds of Britain app last night which took an unbelievable 3/4 of an hour to install.:eek!:

Unfortunately they have removed the one feature that i am looking for .... the bird sighting recording feature :C

Looks like this is an online recorder which isn't what I want at all. I am looking for a simple UK birdlist on my cellfone that I can tick off as a year and lifer spotting list . if it includes an image and ID information all the better but it must be stand alone.

Still looking

Last edited:
I've spent a bit more time with the BTO birdtrack.. It really is pretty good.
Still not convinced I have resolved the "my locations" / GPS error message I was getting initially, but if I just record everything on the phone as a new location using the phone gps position, it works fine.
Then the sightings get uploaded onto the BTO cloud for their analysis.
And best of all, I can batch download all my records back to my PC in xls format.
I can also browse other people's sightings via a map interface.

This is the first App I can see replacing my notebook and pencil!

I've spent a bit more time with the BTO birdtrack.. It really is pretty good.
Still not convinced I have resolved the "my locations" / GPS error message I was getting initially, but if I just record everything on the phone as a new location using the phone gps position, it works fine.
Then the sightings get uploaded onto the BTO cloud for their analysis.
And best of all, I can batch download all my records back to my PC in xls format.
I can also browse other people's sightings via a map interface.

This is the first App I can see replacing my notebook and pencil!

yes but it relies on an internet connection doesn't it ?so how useful is it when you are out on an estuary somewhere ?

yes but it relies on an internet connection doesn't it ?so how useful is it when you are out on an estuary somewhere ?

That's a very good point, and I could have come unstuck later this month in Shetland!
However, I've just tried it in phone "flight mode". You can work around "no network" by manually entering grid refs to enter the sightings onto your phone. The upload to BTO function is greyed out until you get back to civilisation.
It really is a well thought out app.

So the notebook and pen can be ditched, but I still need my Garmin by the look of it! Which is no problem, my GPS (Garmin Oregon with UK OS maps) is cool ;)

Hello,

I am also looking for a nice little app which will allow me to keep track of my sightings. Is there a good app for Europe for ios? I tried searching for Bird Journal but strangely, I cannot find it in the app store.

Stefanie

Hello,

I am also looking for a nice little app which will allow me to keep track of my sightings. Is there a good app for Europe for ios? I tried searching for Bird Journal but strangely, I cannot find it in the app store.

Stefanie

are you looking in an Android or Apple app store ? which fone do you have?

mmmm first one that came up in a Google search !

http://www.bluebirdtechnology.com/birdJournalMobile.aspx

Last edited:
I have an iPad. Yes, the app you linked to is the one I was trying to find but it just doesn't show in app store. I suppose it must be a regional thing, it just doesn't seem to be available at my location (Germany) |:(|

Stefanie

yes unfortunately the app contains only UK birds at present with USA and Australia to follow. Hopefully they will add Europe shortly too.:t:

Too bad, I've sent them an inquiry to ask if there is a version planned for the rest of Europe. Until then, I'll take a look at their desktop version! |=)|

Stefanie

Don't give up your hard copy journal/lists though. The site I started tracking my sitings on is no longer actively managed and I'm concerned that they will go out of business and all my data will be lost. That made me think about the fact that all digital data is at risk. So, you can't beat the old fashioned pen and paper!

I use Bubo listing to keep my records on line, Life list, year list, garden list etc.
You can export to excel etc and input dates, location and notes.
RSPB site shops ususally have british lists if you just want a book to tick from too.

hope it helps

You can certainly use BUBO. Here's the link - http://www.bubo.org/

You can set up lists in pretty much the way you want to. Most people probably have world life lists, specific country lists and you can get down to your local patch level. You can also create year lists. It's simple to use once you've got it set up.

David

Thanks, David, I'll try bubo. Hopefully it will help me get better organized, so far I only write it down in a notebook, bit it's far fromperfect solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back