• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths last night (1 Viewer)

robhope

As well as a 2 Small Magpies, > 10 Silver Y's, 1 Angle Shades and The Snout I had the following moths:-

I believe the first is a Marbled Green.
The second I thought was a kind of rustic but now I'm not sure.
The third is a hopefully a Riband Wave.
The last I have no idea of I'm afraid.

Any thoughts on the second and fourth photos would be greatly appreciated.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Marbled Green.jpg
    Marbled Green.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Rustic.jpg
    Rustic.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Riband Wave.jpg
    Riband Wave.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 71
brianhstone said:
I'd leave the second as a Common Rustic agg. and the last one is Mother of Pearl Pleuroptya ruralis.

Thank you for the ID's Brian. The size of the Mother of Pearl got me looking through my Waring & Townsend, but I see now it is a micro hence my failure to find it! How many more large micro species are there to confuse me?

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

A lotof the pyralidas are quite big and certainly bigger than a lot of macros. Try Large Tabby for example.

Attachments

• large_tabby_26jun05_420_20.jpg
    large_tabby_26jun05_420_20.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 69
Brian,

I have just checked on Amazon and have seen the following book:-

British Pyralid Moths: A Guide to Their Identification (Hardcover) by Barry Goater

Is this a worthwhile book to purchase?

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

brianhstone said:
A lotof the pyralidas are quite big and certainly bigger than a lot of macros. Try Large Tabby for example.
... and don't forget that some macros are smaller than the larger micros.
rosy marbled and small yellow underwing spring to mind.
Oak nycteoline could be taken as a micro, too.
Ken

Oh, yes. It's a relatively small group of moths but there are some beauties and the book will certainly help your appreciation of them. Some of the distribution info might be getting out of date now but that hardly matters.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back