• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can someone give info (1 Viewer)

Arunav

Arunav
I recently ound out this bird. I live in india in the the nothern mountain ranges I found this

A rare small sunbird sized bird. Lemon and dark yellow throughout the upper parts, namely head, upper wings and upper tail feathers. a biscuit coloured beak, very much like a sunbird. Three front one back talons, much like a sparrow, and has a perching nature. White downfeathers, green Scapulars and rest of the body a shade of yellow.

Eats flowers, all kind. I asked the locals, but they dont know, nor any of my guides have info on it. Please help.

Is this the bird that you saw? If it is, it is an Oriental White-eye.
Cheers!
sumit

Attachments

• orientalweye8dn.jpg
    orientalweye8dn.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 143
I saw a couple of species of this family when we were in Kenya, February 2004.

African Yellow White-eye in the Kakamega Forest
Broad-ringed White-eye in Nairobi

They are fascinating little birds!

Arunav said:
Yes,thanks for the help.
Hi Arunav,
Great! Just one point. Zosterops palpebrosus feeds on nectar and insects and is not a flower eater (in fact, I don't know of any bird that actually eats a flower). Also, thanks for your detailed description. That narrowed the field down immensely. Just by way of suggestion, it always additionally helps to mention where you saw the bird (height and place is important) and at what time of the year it was seen when you put in ID requests.
Cheers!
Sumit

I dont exactly know Sumit, that it does eat a flower. However, i saw it eating a flower, (nectar maybe).

Thanks for the help man. I will keep the point of the height concept.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back