• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (3 Viewers)

Kingfisher triple sighting

Saturday 28th March River Rea trail 06.30 morning
After the goosander delight, I was on the River Rea trail on my bicycle, first saw a heron and a jay on a river perch and then in the distance I could hear the two tone, twin calls of my favourites - a Kingfisher pair!! I knew where they were hiding so I carefully took a look and got to see them together. Great!!
As I looked from a bridge over the Rea, I then saw on one side LTTs and the other a pair of Bullfinch. Great!!

I then thought I must have a look on the Bourn Brook even though I thought the Kingfisher there might have moved on to find a partner. Wrong!! I stopped to have a look at a new wall built at the edge of the brook when I heard the familiar call and then the two tone call, great the kingfisher fishing!! I then saw it fly off and thought I'd leave it to it. Wrong!! Further up the Bourn I stopped to look at some new graffiti sprayed on a wall next to the brook, when what flew up and stopped on a perch only metres away from me. The kingfisher!! It sat on the perch doing it's bobbing for a couple minutes until somebody walked pasted us and disturbed it. it then flew off up the brook. Great!! (Though not an expert and this is totally new to me, I'd have to say this kingfisher has found it's call. I'd only heard it give a small call before similar to a wagtail. Now it seems to have developed a full kingfisher call. Good to hear this development. I'd say it was now 9 or 10 months old). Then finally a pair of goldfinch feeding in a tree on the walkway. Also chiff chaff calling in four locations.

Last edited:
Monday 6th April 8.00 River Rea trail
Pair of kingfisher feeding along the Rea. Very loud wrens nesting with chiff chaffs singing. I first saw the red of a male Bullfinch then the female joined him. Great!!

7.45 River Rea trail
It was all quiet until the female kingfisher quietly appeared and waited on a perch. Then the male flew in calling and the female called to it a few times. The male went off and caught a fish. He returned with the fish and gave it to the female whilst he took his upright pose as in the photo I got last week. Then they both flew off. Great!!
(also had some more luck in the week finding another KF nest in Essex near where I work)

7.00 River Rea Trail
First one kingfisher appeared, probably the female, calling to the male. If it was the female she was calling louder than last week, probably really hungry. Then she flew off and there were calls out of sight as I assume the male fed her. Then they flew up and down calling and I left then to it. Also present were a few LTT which was nice to see whilst waiting for the KF.

River Cole - Ackers - 7.00
Pair of kingfisher, flying up and down, Grey Wagtail feeding on the rocks and a Buzzard swooped past. Then on the Rea a single kingfisher flew past up the river. Great!!

River Rea 7.15 - River Cole - 8.45
Female kingfisher going into the nest on the Rea with food. On the Cole it was all quiet for a time with just a Grey Wagtail in sight, before the kingfisher calls and them flying up and down and one of them entering the nest!! Great!!

Rea/Bourn mid day
I'm sure I saw another pair of kingfisher, there was definitely one I saw and it called the two tone call and the other called back in response. They then disappeared so quick to hide from me. I then heard one call but could not find it. I got a photo of one and it's a female. This is good news as that's two of the three females I've seen on the Rea paired up. I still think there is a third pair somewhere on the Rea/Wychall/Merecroft. There are three pairs on the Cole that I know of. A pair was reported on BTO at the far end of the kingfisher country part. There could be more on that stretch as it's 11km. I was told of a location but not seen any there. Another possibility is the Rea at the City Centre, there was a wintering female there and the Salford junction / River tame, saw one there over winter and was told of possible nest holes but not confirmed. I might take another look there.

Last edited:
River Rea Heritage Trail 17:00
First the female kingfisher quietly arrived at the nest. Then a couple minutes later the male arrived. Then one of them had a fish and took it into the nest. When it came out it took a quick dip and then they both flew off. Great!!

River Rea Heritage Trail 7:00 & 15:00
The kingfisher pair feeding well, going up and down. Took the mrs to have a look and they did not disappoint going up and down under the bridge. Also a mallard with chicks went past and a thrush dropped in to sing a song. A male bullfinch was also present.

Not much of a sighting but more of a "hearing". When I went to Ackers River Cole I walked past the canal which is adjacent to the park and on 2 occasions I heard Kingfishers. I didn't see them but definitely heard them unless my ears deceived me.

I stood trying to spot them but couldn't. The water in that canal is usually stagnant but does have fish in it. I wonder if it's the offspring of the ones that I usually see as KF's drive off their young. Once I spot them I shall let you guys know.

River Rea Heritage Trail 7:00
The kingfisher pair are now waiting on their perches with an offering of fish ready. Something might be happening. A heron was also fishing. A thrush popped in.

Kingfisher fledgling?

River Rea - 06:00
I was ready and waiting for a kingfisher fledgling.
As I arrived the female kingfisher appeared with a fish. At one point she appeared with three fish in 15 minutes for the young. The male kingfisher over the past couple days has been hanging around with a fish ready, I presume to tempt the young away with. The female has also been hanging around with fish but today was back to feeding the young. In the time I was watching them she must have bought over 10 fish to the young.
After about one hour and in the blink of an eye, another kingfisher appeared and was quickly chased off by the male kingfisher giving the repeated alarm call. I can only presume this was another kingfisher being chased off.
After that the kingfisher were less present though then the female did start bringing fish again.
I got a quick photo of the pair together. Great!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/17845844298/in/dateposted-public/

(yesterday the female kingfisher got spooked off by a crow that landed on their perch. Both kingfisher fled, the male soon returned but the female took longer to come back).
Lot's of long tailed tits feeding, I could continuously hear and see them them feeding. Looked like young with adults.

Last edited:
River Rea Kingfisher fledgling

River Rea 07:30
I got to the Rea and the kingfisher pair were very active, flying up and down the river. I knew something was happening. I could hear them calling and sense some movement and then I found the kingfisher fledgling fresh out of the nest (I saw it flap around a bit and doing the bobbing movement like it had taken in food, it was probably wondering where it was)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/18281453866/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/18309346711/in/dateposted-public/
The mother kingfisher then came to offer some food. I'm not sure it was successfully passed over.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/18304035662/in/dateposted-public/
(the fledgling is in the top RH corner)
I then thought I best leave them to it and gave them a couple hours alone.
I then returned and it was doing some preening and wing stretching
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/18281539146/in/dateposted-public/
The mother kingfisher then flew in with some food and they both flew off. I could hear the mother calling it with a tutting call further down the river. I left them to it.
It's great I got to see one fledge, along with seeing the pairing, the courtship, the mating, the feeding and knowing the mother was a fledgling last year having spent winter on the Bourn Brook. Great!! B :)

Last edited:
River Rea 07:30
After last weeks kingfisher fledgling, I presume the rest fledged during the week. Today it was all quiet with the male kingfisher I presume patrolling up and down the river. I checked elsewhere along the Rea, Bourn and Bourn Brook but did not see any other KF, though it is rather difficult with the long grass. Good views of a kestrel over the Bourn Brook walkway and a grey wagtail. Elsewhere on the Rea, a GSP, tits feeding, chiff chaff on most stretches and I think a RNP calling. Did not know they were in Brum but BTO has records.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back