• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (30 Viewers)

A few pics from Friday.

Couple of shots from yesterday. The med gull is one bird not three.
Treated to the Otter on the Moors for at least 15 min until it caught a big Eel and retired for breakfast.:t::t:

Attachments

• med gull.jpg
    med gull.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 116
  • lrp.jpg
    lrp.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 97
Couple of shots from yesterday. The med gull is one bird not three.
Treated to the Otter on the Moors for at least 15 min until it caught a big Eel and retired for breakfast.:t::t:

Eels are certainly on the menu at the mo - Mike W reports a fox with one at the North Moors this morning.

Artic tern sailing pool 10.50am after first heavy rain and was still there at 11.20am
Willow Warbler by gate from Sailing pool towards Hen Brook
Also in this area Chiffchaff, Blackcaps, Whitethroat and a few fledgling Blue Tits.
Many Swallow, House martin, Sand martin and swifts over moors pools

Saw a photo of the Red Kite that I missed tonight,looking rather in poor shape in fact looked similar to the one I saw over Redditch recently.
here's a puzzle in the last photo there is a small young rabbit in the middle of the island,so how did it get there?

Attachments

• IMG_5174 (2).JPG
    IMG_5174 (2).JPG
    485.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5179.JPG
    IMG_5179.JPG
    544.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5182.JPG
    IMG_5182.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5181.JPG
    IMG_5181.JPG
    566.7 KB · Views: 112
Early morning at the Flashes as per Dave J:

24+ Black-tailed Godwit briefly then flew south-east, 48 Avocet + 15 young (3:2:1:2:1:2:4), 3 adult Med Gulls, 5 LR Plover (+ 1 young still), 2 Redshank

A summary of sightings across the various sites that participated in the West Midlands All-Day Birdwatch on the 6th May.

Attachments

• Spring 2017 All-Dayer.pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 169
A summary of sightings across the various sites that participated in the West Midlands All-Day Birdwatch on the 6th May.

A great piece of work Phil..I'm sure the stats reflect the countrywide status of many species...ie very poor show of curlew and cuckoo. The very patchy distribution of willow tit and tree sparrow. I'm sure if you analyse the lists lots of conclusions can be drawn. Suffice to say it was a ood day for passage waders:t: john

Help please
A friend of mine has found 2 dead Bullfinches in his garden (1 male Fri & 1 Female Sat) with no visible signs of predation, This morning a Juv. Bullfinch in a state of distress, with what appears a wollen claw.

He is an avid garden bird watcher/feeder, all other birds Green finches, Gold Finches appear OK, but is concerned that maybe they have been poisoned. I know that his feeders are regularly cleaned.

As far as I am aware there are no reports of diseases affecting Bull Finches, does anybody know if this is correct?

He has preserved the birds for an autopsy, if necessary. He has phoned Sandwell RSPB but got no proper response. Does anybody know who/where is the best to contact?

All help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Richard

Tuesday work party Moors

This coming Tuesday morning we will be re-floating the Tern Rafts. So anyone birding on the reserve on that day I would suggest birds at the Flashes from 9 till 11am.
:t:John

A flock of 24 Black-tailed Godwit have just dropped into the Flashes as per Paul Croft

Interestingly the same sized flock of Black-tailed Godwits was at Belvide Reservoir for approx an hour early afternoon yesterday and flew west south west over John Bennett Reserve (Nafford) mid morning today.

Help please
A friend of mine has found 2 dead Bullfinches in his garden (1 male Fri & 1 Female Sat) with no visible signs of predation, This morning a Juv. Bullfinch in a state of distress, with what appears a wollen claw.

He is an avid garden bird watcher/feeder, all other birds Green finches, Gold Finches appear OK, but is concerned that maybe they have been poisoned. I know that his feeders are regularly cleaned.

As far as I am aware there are no reports of diseases affecting Bull Finches, does anybody know if this is correct?

He has preserved the birds for an autopsy, if necessary. He has phoned Sandwell RSPB but got no proper response. Does anybody know who/where is the best to contact?

Thank you

Richard

Here's some info on possible cause:
https://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/14005/t/20464.aspx

Help please

Thank you

Richard
There's also this survey ongoing. http://www.gardenwildlifehealth.org/

Monday 22nd May 0815-1300

A lovely warm sunny day which seemed more like early July than the end of May; despite a lot of activity (especially at the Flashes) the birding also had a mid summer malaise feeling about it.

SAILING POOL
4 Mute Swan, 20 Greylag Geese, 6 Canada Geese, 1 Egyptian Geese, 10 GC Grebe, 1 Shoveler (male), 2 Tufted Duck, 4 Coot, 1 Moorhen, Green Woodpecker, Cetti's Warbler, Skylark

FLASHES
20+ Lapwing, 46 Avocet + 15 young from 7 broods (4:3:2:2:2:1:1), 2 Oystercatcher, 5 LR Plover + 1 young, 1+ redshank, 2 GC Grebe, 12 Canada Geese, flocks of 11 + 2 Greylag Geese over, 15 Shelduck, 4 Gadwall, 1 Teal (male), 3 Shoveler (all males), 24 Tufted Duck, 24 Coot, 1 Common Tern, 3 Herring Gull, 2 Med Gulls (both adults), 1 LBB Gull, Lesser Whitethroat, Linnet, Green Woodpecker

MOOR POOL
2 Mute Swan, 32 Canada Geese, 3 Greylag Geese, 1 Grey Heron, 1 GC Grebe, 4 Little Grebe, 68 Tufted Duck, 3 Shoveler (all males), 8 Gadwall, Water Rail, 48 Coot, 8 Common Tern, 3 LBB Gull, 3 Lapwing, 4 Oystercatcher, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker, House Sparrow calling from the residencies
Cuckoo calling from the Education Reserve as per Andy P

Last edited:
work party Today

Today 9 of us refloated the tern rafts and cut the salwarp and North Moors path...well Paul actually strimmed the paths alone:t:
Thanks to Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Graham L. Ian. Keith M. Paul M. Ray C. and me

Attachments

• 20170523_103226.jpg
    20170523_103226.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170523_112838.jpg
    20170523_112838.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170523_102151.jpg
    20170523_102151.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread