• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysian rail-babbler (1 Viewer)

Having said I'm not keen on guides, I may back-track on that if I fail to see it at TN or Bukit Rengit so if anyone can recommend a guide for Panti I'd be interested.

Time does not allow a trip to Panti so it'll be TN and Bukit Rengit. I'm not sure how long to give Bukit Tinggi and Bukit Rengit or where to stay? I know there's accomodation at Betong and Suria Hot Spring. Any suggests appreciated. I've read that Mountain Peacock Pheasant is very easy at BT but that the exact location is being kept a bit secret. If anyone can let me know - by PM - how one visits it, I'd be grateful and of the best areas at BR for the rail-babbler. Although as the latter appears to disappear quite a lot, I guess that changes.

Last edited:
Steve, there’s a recent peacock pheasant shot on surfbirds with an offer of location details from the poster, take a look...
Andy

Time does not allow a trip to Panti so it'll be TN and Bukit Rengit. I'm not sure how long to give Bukit Tinggi and Bukit Rengit or where to stay? I know there's accomodation at Betong and Suria Hot Spring. Any suggests appreciated. I've read that Maysian Peacock Pheasant is very easy at BT but that the exact location is being kept a bit secret. If anyone can let me know - by PM - how one visits it, I'd be grateful and of the best areas at BR for the rail-babbler. Although as the latter appears to disappear quite a lot, I guess that changes.

These birds are Mountain Peacock Pheasant. Will PM you soon.

Many thanks for all the help. I've now got tight gen on the MPP and where the rail-babbler has been at Krau. If anyone has general birding tips for Krau, that would still be of use.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the help. I've now got tight gen on the MPP and where the rail-babbler has been at Krau. If anyone has general birding tips for Krau, that would still be of use.

Just birding along the road, Steve. This area of Krau, by 'Deerland' (please don't park in their car park, it's for visitors to the park only) is very small now and heavily degraded but so very pleasant. The couple of trails that persist don't really go on for long.
Bear in mind, this is one of my local patches, and despite numerous visits every year (sometimes several times a month), I have yet to see the Rail-babbler come to the feeding area, it's extremely sporadic, but when it comes (1-2 times a years) it tends to hang around for a week or three (whenever I'm away!).
You will need to bring your own mealworms, just in case, as photographers aren't there everyday (less regularly than the MPP site).

Have a great time,

James

[
Bear in mind, this is one of my local patches, and despite numerous visits every year (sometimes several times a month), I have yet to see the Rail-babbler come to the feeding area, it's extremely sporadic, but when it comes (1-2 times a years) [/QUOTE]

I'll think of it as a long shot then!

Cheers for the gen James. I'll be off to Taman Negara for nine nights afterwards so maybe I was just jinked in my previous three weeks spent failing to see rail-babbler there!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back