• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher and Peter Hayes go birding in Devon (1 Viewer)

kingfisher

Scouser in exile
Kingfisher and Peter Hayes

Dawlish Warren, Powderham Castle and Bowling Green Marsh.

Bank Holiday Monday 21 April 2003

At very short notice Peter and i decided to have a days birding in Gods own country.

The day dawned very gloomy in Somerset as i got the early train to Exeter to meet Peter, but as we travelled to Dawlish Warren Nature Reserve the sun came out to cheer us and the threat of rain was left behind us.

On reaching the hide at on the spit end of the Warren we set up our telescopes, and settled to watch the shore birds come close in, to our horror there was not an Oystercatcher on the roost, so while we drank tea and coffee we scanned the horizon and we found them to our right on the far end spit roosting with Gulls, there was about 80+ Oystercatchers there and we both spotted Herring Gulls with 4 Great Black Backed Gulls, the tide came closer then more Oystercatchers joined the roost some of them later moved to famous roost spot just outside of the hide and we got superb close views of these lovely birds one or 2 with their heads down taking part in 'Piping' sessions at this point we were both Digiscoping. Out on the far spit 2 Dunlins were spotted going about their business and plenty of Cormorants were sunning themselves in the warm sunshine with their wings outstretched, and some Shellducks flew across the bay towards the railway line. Out among the boats Terns were screeching and diving for sandeels and as they came closer and roosted on the bouys we noted they were Sandwich Terns, but soon afterwards 3 other Terns were seen at first i thought they were Sandwich or Common Terns but when they came close into shore we soon realised these were different with pure black long bills out came the collins guide book and soon were saying 'surely not' 'no they can't be' but the evidence was there we were watching 3 Roseate Terns and we had stunning views of their diving antics, this was a first for both myself and Peter. Soon afterwards we set off to wander around the reserve, we were then told of 2 Cuckoos and a Redstart on the Warren but alas were never saw any of them, but we did see 2 Swallows numerous Linnets 2 Skylarks, a few Magpies and Chiffchaffs were singing in the trees and as hard as we could, we could not see them. In the Information Centre we told the Warden about the Roseate Terns and marked them on the 'daily board'.

Off we set to Powderham Castle, to view the main lake, as a Buzzard soared and called overhead 3 Little Egrets Were present a single Little Grebe was standing preening on the Lake side, a Grey Heron stalked anything that moved, and a few House Martins flew low across the lake, also there were Canada Geese and numerous Shellducks and Varrion Crows. As it was lunchtime food was on my mind, so we headed to one of the best birdwatching spots in the South West, Bowling Green Marsh, we sat in the car with our lunches the wind ouside had got up and the tide was turning fast, after tucking away our lunches we headed off to the hide but not before we saw 2 Chaffinches a Robin and a few Greenfinches, from the hide the 4 Spoonbills were doing what they do best.....sleeping and 4 Little Egrets were hiding among the tall grasses and a single Heron was also roosting. Curlews were present about 8 we checked in case of any Wimbrels but no they were all Curlews plenty of Black Tailed Godwits some feeding close to the hide, 7 Dunlin were counted a single Tufted Duck was diving for food as was a female Goldeneye Black Headed Gulls we all over the marsh as was a few Great Black Backed Gulls and 3 Lesser Black Backed Gulls to our surprise a few Knot were among the Godwits and the nesting pair of Mute Swans were close by, a female Mallard with about 8 chicks walked across the grassy banks, as were Starlings and Canada and a few Greylag Geese. Swallows, House and Sand Martins were feeding on the wing. Dodging a brief heavy shower we walked to the viewing platform and from here a single Greenshank and 2 Redshank were feeding on the mud banks and in the distance lots of Oystercatchers and Curlews were also feeding, and just before we left a said hello and goodbye to our good friend Izzy the Glossy Ibis in the near field, at this point out days birding in Devon came to an end, the birds were fantastic and the company was very pleasant, Peter at short notice thanks for a wonderful day out, your last before heading to London and work and politicians.

Kingfisher

Thank you for that accurate and characteristically modest report which brought back memories of a great day. If you had not spotted the Roseate Terns there was no way I would have done! I will certainly remember that, plus the Sandwich Terns dive-bombing the River Exe from a great height – a fantastic sight. Other highlights were a superb close up of a Linnet on top of a bush looking marvellous in the sun, the ghostly looking Greenshank picking its way nimbly along the top of a sea of mud, and of course Izzy.

If you add a few other birds in that we saw, such as Pied Wagtail, Coot, Moorhen, Wood Pigeon etc the day’s tally was around 45 species, and we knocked off at 16.00!

Thanks for a great day out and great company. As you say, you can’t beat God’s Own!

Excellent report John. I saw the report on the pager regarding the three Roseates, never thinking that one of our crowd had seen them first. I have had them at dawlish as well but they can be very difficult to sort out.

There are a good few birds you had there that I have yet to see and I can't imagine seeing a Roseate up this way so you may have gotten at least one bird that I may not see this year.

I had a feeling it was Peter who had reported the Roseates when I lokked on the Birdguides website.

I have seen them in Kenya but would be more excited by a British sighting.

A lovely report indeed.

PS

here's a shot of some of the Oyster Catchers.

Attachments

• kingfisher day out 004.jpg
    kingfisher day out 004.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 213
Obviously had some Chablis cos there's no comma!

Oh, alright! I'm being pedantic! Go and check some of my other posts!

I say chaps, thanks for the replys yes it was a lot of fun and a lot of birds were seen in one day, we are very lucky in this part of the world, Peter nice photo, hope the rest are just as good !!!

Not a BAD photo exactly (thanks to your help) and the first birdy pic I've ever put on the site. Once I get better and maybe learn a little about Photoshop7 I'll try again!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back