• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owners: How Are Your Leica Noctivids Serving You?! (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry that you feel that way guys, I don't think anyone has deliberately tried to hijack the thread . . .

Bird Forum (particularly the optics forum) has always allowed some 'latitude' for exploration provided it is good natured. I for one, welcome the additional technical information, and I'm grateful to those who contribute it. . .

I also welcome the way the OP so thoroughly structured the initial post to offer some guidance . . .

Chosun :gh:

I don't think it was deliberate either. It is fine. No worries. Latitude is good. It had just gotten a little eye popping at 75 somewhat tangential posts, one may also need longitude. Heck, this many posts later maybe squatters' rights apply :). The original post had probably run it's course anyway.

Last edited:
OK: back on topic!

I have done it and now I have my new noctivid 8X42.
At the beginning I did not realize how good was the view but after one hour of obsevations I was (and I am) completely sold! I have and I have had some of the best binoculars of all times but this one is in a different category. The differences can't be described with specs or measures; to me, the view through this binoculars is really fantastic. The image is...better than reality. Contrast, colors, bokeh, sense of depht, you can focus once and you can forget the focus knob. Really beautiful.
There is only a very very little play in the smooth focus wheel (sometimes, may be), but frankly, who cares!

Last edited:
OK: back on topic!

I have done it and now I have my new noctivid 8X42.
At the beginning I did not realize how good was the view but after one hour of obsevations I was (and I am) completely sold! I have and I have had some of the best binoculars of all times but this one is in a different category. The differences can't be described with specs or measures; to me, the view through this binoculars is really fantastic. The image is...better than reality. Contrast, colors, bokeh, sense of depht, you can focus once and you can forget the focus knob. Really beautiful.
There is only a very very little play in the smooth focus wheel (sometimes, may be), but frankly, who cares!

Phew! It's great to finally get some feedback and opinion from somebody who actually owns a Noctivid, as outlined in the OP and thread title.

I had stated that I was excited about the prospect of a 7x42 Noctivid. I've had use of some 7x42 Ultravid HD+, but I'm so stunned with the performance of the 10x42 Noctivid that I'm planning to have a closer look at the 8x42. Against the 7x42, I'll be losing only 5m/1000m in fov, 0.75mm of exit pupil and perhaps some Depth of field...but would be gaining all which is so incredibly alluring in the NV.

At this stage of ownership, the only very minor downside I can possibly think of is the slightly odd positioning of the strap lugs. This has already been mentioned, but I've found that without thinking, I've adjusted my grip accordingly and its become a virtual non issue (barely thought about) in the scheme of things. For reference, I have 4XL hands in glove size, and find the ergonomics of the binocular to be absolutely fine.

Cheers,

Rathaus

Latest count-

We're up to 5 confirmed 10x NV owners who have given feedback comments in this thread.
There appear to be 3 owners giving feedback comments relating to the 8x NV.

There are a further two or three owners who do not state which magnification they purchased, and another couple who tested the 10x but do not own it.

I'd certainly be keen to hear more feedback from current owners or owners down the track. I find it interesting because unhurried and long term ownership/use can reveal subtleties of a binocular which may otherwise not be noted.

Rathaus

Last edited:
I wonder when Allbinos is going to review the Noctivids? There are 2 owner's opinions on the 10x42 posted.

Bob

Bob:

I would not expect very soon, they embarrassed Leica when they reported
on the leakers and how some were not waterproof.

On topic, is that I did read the new Noctovid, is waterproof to a higher
standard than the other alphas. That means a deeper test level.

Jerry

NOTE: I've sent a message to Steve requesting a new thread concerning Field Flatteners as per Henry Link's post #98. I also included a suggestion that a new Binoculars forum be established with the title Optics Technology to cover future conversations involving mechanical and optical design, performance methods, data exchange, and so forth. If Steve picks up on that, the field flattener thread would then be the first on that forum, beginning with posts #25 through #100 taken from this thread. Feel free to message Steve with additional comments if you wish.

Ed

Jerry, post 107,
Do not believe things that have not been investigated thouroughly, so if you want to know how waterproof the Noctivids are if not tested independently by good immersion and strong rain tests. From my experience I find it hard to believe that the Noctivids beat all other alphas with regard to water resistance, but proof of the puddding comes by eating it. I think that Leica is professional enough to let Allbinos test it, despite disappointing data in the past.
Gijs van Ginkel

NOTE: I've sent a message to Steve requesting a new thread concerning Field Flatteners as per Henry Link's post #98. I also included a suggestion that a new Binoculars forum be established with the title Optics Technology to cover future conversations involving mechanical and optical design, performance methods, data exchange, and so forth. If Steve picks up on that, the field flattener thread would then be the first on that forum, beginning with posts #25 through #100 taken from this thread. Feel free to message Steve with additional comments if you wish.

Ed
Excellent idea and suggestion. :t:

Jerry, post 107,
Do not believe things that have not been investigated thouroughly, so if you want to know how waterproof the Noctivids are if not tested independently by good immersion and strong rain tests. From my experience I find it hard to believe that the Noctivids beat all other alphas with regard to water resistance, but proof of the puddding comes by eating it. I think that Leica is professional enough to let Allbinos test it, despite disappointing data in the past.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,

Without a doubt this post belongs on a boring Waterproof Technology thread that covers the empirical methods, sampling requirements, and proper statistical procedures needed to reach valid conclusions about product quality. Sorry to bite your head off here, ;) but based on previous so-called "tests" of Leica binoculars, Allbinos is simply not qualified to do such work in a meaningful way, and I would certainly hate to see Leica's reputation again be placed at the mercy of this perhaps well-meaning, but definitely amateur outfit. I'd be happy to pontificate at greater length elsewhere, but the good news is that there are qualified, independent companies that could do the work to professional standards, — although it would be very costly and require Leica's cooperation in several ways.

Regards,
Ed

Thank you Pileatus.

Hi Ed,
I checked but my head seem still to be attached as before. I agree that waterproof testing must be done in a professional way and I have seen for example recently how thouroughly that is done for example at Meopta, but I have also seen it at other binocular companies, so I know how it works and with our testing methods we try to do that thouroughly as well. I have not read a claim by Leica that their Noctivids beat all other producers with regard to the waterproof resistance of the Noctivids and Jerry did not give a reference in his post 107, that was the trigger of my post.
Best regards,
Gijs

Hi Gijs,

Without a doubt this post belongs on a boring Waterproof Technology thread that covers the empirical methods, sampling requirements, and proper statistical procedures needed to reach valid conclusions about product quality. Sorry to bite your head off here, ;) but based on previous so-called "tests" of Leica binoculars, Allbinos is simply not qualified to do such work in a meaningful way, and I would certainly hate to see Leica's reputation again be placed at the mercy of this perhaps well-meaning, but definitely amateur outfit. I'd be happy to pontificate at greater length elsewhere, but the good news is that there are qualified, independent companies that could do the work to professional standards, — although it would be very costly and require Leica's cooperation in several ways.

Regards,
Ed

Thank you Pileatus.

I agree.

'Evidence based' upon empirical and appropriate scientific methods is indeed a good thing :t:

I far prefer it to amateur technical conjecture masquerading as fact. Take away the 'masquerading' and I have no problem with the 'amateur technical conjecture'.

Conclusions based on technical theory, some knowledge, excellent logic and associated amateur procedures do not in any way equate to conclusions and evidence based upon empirical scientific methodology.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Hi Ed,
I checked but my head seem still to be attached as before. I agree that waterproof testing must be done in a professional way and I have seen for example recently how thouroughly that is done for example at Meopta, but I have also seen it at other binocular companies, so I know how it works and with our testing methods we try to do that thouroughly as well. I have not read a claim by Leica that their Noctivids beat all other producers with regard to the waterproof resistance of the Noctivids and Jerry did not give a reference in his post 107, that was the trigger of my post.
Best regards,
Gijs

Gijs: I will try to find it.

Edit to add: The article is from Birdwatching.com. The Porters review from 3-12-17.

They state the Noctovid is waterproof to 5M, 16.5 ft. the Zeiss SF and Swaro. SV, 13-13.4 ft.

If you click on the link above, it will bring you to the site and article.

Jerry

Last edited:
I thought this forum was for purely "amateur technical conjecture", is`nt discussing our likes, dislikes and impressions why we visit here ?

Without a doubt this post belongs on a boring Waterproof Technology thread that covers the empirical methods, sampling requirements, and proper statistical procedures needed to reach valid conclusions about product quality. Sorry to bite your head off here, but based on previous so-called "tests" of Leica binoculars, Allbinos is simply not qualified to do such work in a meaningful way, and I would certainly hate to see Leica's reputation again be placed at the mercy of this perhaps well-meaning, but definitely amateur outfit. I'd be happy to pontificate at greater length elsewhere, but the good news is that there are qualified, independent companies that could do the work to professional standards, — although it would be very costly and require Leica's cooperation in several ways.

Regards,
Ed

Ed:

I agree with you that any meaningful test should be based on rigorous sampling and careful statistical analysis, but what do you say when a randomly selected sample gets water inside after a simple dip in a bucket of water? I would say that's not a good sign, and I recall that Leica sent Allbinos an explanatory note that ....did no explain at all why that happened.

Peter.

Last edited:
I thought this forum was for purely "amateur technical conjecture", is`nt discussing our likes, dislikes and impressions why we visit here ?

That's why I think Ed's suggestion to have a separate sub-sub-forum about "Optics Technology" is a good one: if you only want to read about "impressions" you just do not go there.

Jerry, post 114,
Thank you for the quotation of the paper in which you read about the waterproofness of the different binoculars. The authors of the paper did not do any research themselves on how well the different binoculars are waterproof, they only quoted the data published by the different producers, so that does not tell us everything and it is not based on any independent investigation. If Albinos had a test Leica binocular that was filled with water upon a simple immersion test, than that is a serious problem for Leica and, Ed, you really do not need sophisticated equipment to draw that conclusion.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'd stop posting when it got far to technical for me, not that i didn't understand, just unnecessary clutter, its how it performs in my/your hands that count, otherwise you wouldn't shell out 2k, and again i reiterate the best i have looked through.

i reiterate the best i have looked through.

Martin:

I agree with you that it is how it performs in your hands that counts, but vague statements such as the one above tell me nothing: I have no idea which other binos you have looked through, nor do I know what's your definition of "the best". IMO a few "technical details" are often useful.

Peter.

PS. I almost forgot: regarding technical details you could simply say that you would dive into them "If you had but the time and we had but the brain".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back