• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple or house finch? (1 Viewer)

jbohuslavek

Is this a purple finch or house finch? There are two distinct color variations that come to my feeder - this is the one that's more purple (so I guess it is purple finch?). The other one has red head and chest, but lacks the pinkish wash over the rest of the body - would that be the house finch? Thanks!

jbohuslavek said:
Is this a purple finch or house finch? There are two distinct color variations that come to my feeder - this is the one that's more purple (so I guess it is purple finch?). The other one has red head and chest, but lacks the pinkish wash over the rest of the body - would that be the house finch? Thanks!

That's a purple finch.
Alan

Definately a Purple Finch. At the risk of getting blasted on here again I've always used a simple little rule to tell the two apart. My rule is if you have to ask, it's a House Finch. Of course you asked and it is a Purple Finch so I guess it blows my little theory out of the water.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back