• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General question about Merlins vs Peregrines (1 Viewer)

merryslug

I identified a bird today to a coworker as probably a Merlin, and was promptly laughed at by another who said that "Merlin" was old-school terminology for Peregrine Falcons - that they were the same bird.

This didn't sound right to me but as this person could be described as NEVER WRONG (at least in his mind), I shut up and went home to do some research.

From what I've gathered, Merlins are smaller 'cousins' of Peregrines - closely related and even able to hybridize (Perlin anyone?) - but a separate species.

Before I challenge Sir Never Wrong, I'd love some input from other birders. Was there a time when these two were lumped together, but then later de-lumped? Are they considered interchangeable in some conditions?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Different birds,merlins are smaller,relatives but never classed as the same
They can hybridise though,a local chap I know has a perlin
Tell your co worker he is wrong.

Completely different species. Both falcons but Merlins are tundra and moorland nesters where as Peregrines are cliff nesters. Very different niches. Perlins only occur in captivity.

Merryslug,

Merlins and Peregrine both belong to Falcon (Falconidae) family, together with kestrels, hobbies and other falcons.

All European falcons belong to the same genus (Falco), but they are divided in subgenera. All kestrels are Tinnunculus, Hobbies are Falco and Lanner, Saker and Gyr Falcons are Hierofalco.

Merlin is alone in its subsgenus aesalon and Peregrine is a Rhynchodon with other Peregrine-like species such Barbary Falcon.

So we can say, except that they are both falcons, they don't have any special relationship... and definitely different stuff!

Tell your co worker he is wrong.

Yes! Nobody's never wrong!

Back in the dark ages when I was a sprat, in the US Peregrines were often called Duck Hawks, Merlins Pigeon Hawks and Kestrels Sparrow Hawks. Maybe your friend's memory was fuzzy and he was dimly and erroneously remembering that the names had changed.

Wow, I had no idea that Peregrine and Merlin could be induced to hybridise! Are there any pics of a "Perlin" out there? And which way round do they do it? I imagine either way there must be a high fatality rate on the Merlin side... :eek: (unless they do it by artificial insemination...)

Wow, I had no idea that Peregrine and Merlin could be induced to hybridise! Are there any pics of a "Perlin" out there? And which way round do they do it? I imagine either way there must be a high fatality rate on the Merlin side... :eek: (unless they do it by artificial insemination...)

Steve, in captivity the majority of major falcon species are bred into hybrid's. Falconers use hybrid falcon's to get the best from each species, the game of a Saker, the speed of a Peregrine & the size & power of a Gyr. I suggest having a read through on falconryforum.co.uk if you have an hour to burn.

I had a bit of a google, seems they do generally do it by AI, and "Perlins" are infertile (unlike hybrids between some of the larger falcon species, eg. Lanner and Saker). They look very odd... rather like a Merlin that has been vertically stretched!

Also I found a mention (but as yet no photo) of the even more unbelievable sounding Gyrfalcon x Merlin! :eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back