• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Sketchathon! (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Okay then....Here is the idea...

I'm taking a week off in the first week of May to sketch birds. Going out to an island here in Stockholm to see what crosses my path and sketch the lot! Could be interesting, migration will be in full flow and there is a good chance of something rare. Even without a rarity I'm sure to see some wonderful birds. Will get back to you all on the exact location!
The idea was it would be great if others did something simular all over the globe and we all get back to the forum afterwards and post our work here. I realize not everyone may be able to take off for a week, but perhaps a day or two in the field might be feasable....
Would be great fun to share the results here I think, also would be nice to know you lot are all out there somewhere at the same time, pencil in hand, enjoying the birding and getting some art down. Consider it a mass cyber field trip! Sign up if you are interested here and I will bring the post back up as May approaches, let us know where your location may be etc!
All welcome. Very much a case of the more the merrier!

...any further ideas welcome.

Last edited:
buzzard12 said:
Okay then....Here is the idea...

The idea was it would be great if others did something simular all over the globe and we all get back to the forum afterwards and post our work here. I realize not everyone may be able to take off for a week, but perhaps a day or two in the field might be feasable....

Fine idea. I am hoping for for a couple of days out and about in May and this may just provide the prompt.

Now that's a good idea.

I can get somewhere for a couple of hours I'm sure, I wish it could be the whole week but I think that would be wishful thinking! Keep us in the loop.

Woody

Vectis Birder said:
I'll see what I can come up with during my Ecuador trip, which is the last two weeks of May.
Ecuador Trip???!"!"!!! - That's just taking the idea too far,VB! Can't you just stay GB, Europe and/or N. Africa?? Some folk, eh? ;)

Great idea! I'd thought about suggesting something like this back when I first came across this forum to encourage people to post more of their work, but at the time I didn't think it would generate much interest (we've got a much larger group here now, though!). This would be an excellent excuse for me to head down to Point Pelee this May (I've never been, even though it's only a few hours' drive) -- I could definitely stand to cross a few more off of my woefully short warbler list.

jomo said:
Great idea! I'd thought about suggesting something like this back when I first came across this forum to encourage people to post more of their work, but at the time I didn't think it would generate much interest (we've got a much larger group here now, though!). This would be an excellent excuse for me to head down to Point Pelee this May (I've never been, even though it's only a few hours' drive) -- I could definitely stand to cross a few more off of my woefully short warbler list.

Been there for three days Jomo, few years ago now, though I went the last week in April. Birding was fantastic, about the best I have ever experienced.. Long Point in May was superb too. Hope you can get down there with your pencil and pad!!

Vectis Birder said:
I'll see what I can come up with during my Ecuador trip, which is the last two weeks of May.

Equador Eh??!!

Im just going to stew on my tiny island in the Baltic for a week and dream about tropical cloud forest and Antpittas now!

Dont forget the sketchpad. You might have too much to identify to make time for a sketch!! I usually find when I am birding a new country I am too busy birding to sketch, catch 22 situation, see more species and bird constantly or sacrifice that and get some sketches done!!

timwootton said:
I'm going to come to Sweden and share your island Alan! Or maybe stay in Orkney.

No problem Tim if you find me a male red spotted Bluethroat or a male Collared Flycatcher at a push....!

(Maybe you will find them in Orkney, come to think of it!!)

buzzard12 said:
No problem Tim if you find me a male red spotted Bluethroat or a male Collared Flycatcher at a push....!

(Maybe you will find them in Orkney, come to think of it!!)
Isn't that just the beauty of our hobby? - Anything can turn up anywhere!

Just bumping this back up. Have arranged a week off and intend to get out for the whole week sketching.....April 30-May 6th

Just a couple of weeks away if anyone else is thinking of getting out at a great time of the year...

buzzard12 said:
Just bumping this back up. Have arranged a week off and intend to get out for the whole week sketching.....April 30-May 6th

Just a couple of weeks away if anyone else is thinking of getting out at a great time of the year...
Good to hear you're gonna get some time off at last!!!!!!
I'll be doing 'something' at that time, looking forward.

buzzard12 said:

Not forgotten- I've made a solemn promise to myself (and now to this thread) that I will be in the field and sketching over three days May 16-18...

I'll try to get out as much as I can. Should be interesting to see how much we come up with collectively.

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back