• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID, Italy (1 Viewer)

surely an intersting gull! it looks very small and small headed. since shadows and unsharp image don't allow to asses mantle shade and bill height exactly it will be hard. first impression was of a 2cy baltic gull (l. fuscus fuscus) but bill looks very stubby. the elongated shape and dark brown upperparts (browner wings than scapulars) however look ok for this taxon.

Here are other pics and some more will be sent to me this evening...
Is Baltic that small though?

Ciao

Silv

Attachments

• Gull Id 2.jpg
    Gull Id 2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Gull ID 3.jpg
    Gull ID 3.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 107
Here are another two photos...
What do the gull experts say? JanJ?

Cheers

Silv

Attachments

• Gull 3.jpg
    Gull 3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Gull 4.jpg
    Gull 4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 66
To me in structure and colours nothing like an Armenian or Caspian but one of the darker Lesser Black-backed Gulls, probably a fuscus

But if you compare it to the YLGs around it it appears to be very small and bill looks pretty slim...are these good characters for fuscus?

shortly: yes, although like all larger gulls size is variable and dwarfy individuals occure in each of them. more important is the impression i get on its structure: short legged and long winged. but i wouldn't give a definite id on these pics alone. anyway baltic gull should be a good record for (where exactly?) for southern italy. jan seems to be off since 2 weeks.

The lucky fellow :)
It was seen in the Puglia region of S Italy...I don't actually know it's present status but it's surely an excellent record (if not an accidental)!

Thx again

Silv

Hello all - just back from my honeymoon in southern France (Nice and all, many Indian Silverbills, Yellow-legged Gulls, Pallid Swifts (millions, and lots of perfect close ups together with Common Swifts) and much much more!

About Silvios gull - I would prefer to suggest Baltic/intermedius since both can overlap completely - and because the images are not that up to ID standard.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back