• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Raptor (2 Viewers)

Hi Grousemore,

I hope you dont mind but I lightened your original file in Photoshop.

Your bird looks like it has a band across the chest, I'd probably plump for common buzzard but the head shape looks a bit like spar.

How big was it and where?

Woody

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 166
Common Buzzard for me too - that's assuming the pic was taken somewhere in NW Europe! (go on, now tell us all it was taken in Peru, or something . . .)

Michael

I can't decide if the tail protrudes below the branch that it is standing on. If it does, this is a long tail and I don't think that would be quite right for a buteo.

Colin said:
I can't decide if the tail protrudes below the branch that it is standing on. If it does, this is a long tail and I don't think that would be quite right for a buteo.

I'd go along with that but the legs look a bit hefty for spar, unless it's just a photo effect?

Woody

Colin said:
The bit below the branch is another branch behind - it is out of alignment with the bird's tail

Ah ha...well its still a Buteo, I'd guess at Red-tailed Hawk. They looked bang on Common buzz jizz-wise to me. Off to check out plumages!

Hi Grousemore,
Was ready to ID the bird as Common Buzzard,but given that the photo was taken in the US,then it's most likely a Red-tailed Hawk.
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back