• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Carmarthenshire, Wales - Pretty equal between Chaffinches, Greenfinches and House Sparrows (around 20 of each), closely followed by Jackdaws.

Mum in Hatfield, Herts is Starlings. |=)|

At the moment it's a toss between Northern Cardinal and Blue Jay but it depends on the time of year. Late fall and winter has to be Yellow-rumped Warbler by a mile.

Attachments

• YRWA2.jpg
    YRWA2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 97
Katy Penland said:
Northeast Arizona here. Right now, Band-tailed Pigeons outnumber everyone else. Somewhere between 20 and 30 every day. In late April, however, we maxed out at 104 Cassin's Finches, the highest I've ever recorded in the yard at one time. :eek!:

WOW!! Enjoyed Cassin's Finches a lot in NM this winter whilst honeymooning.

Attachments

• Cassin's Finch (female).jpg
    Cassin's Finch (female).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 90
  • Cassin's Finch (male).jpg
    Cassin's Finch (male).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 89
Probably Pied Flycatcher at the moment - three nestboxes got broods now (front and back walls of house, plus apple tree), unless the Tree Sparrow flock is paying a visit!

Wisconsin, USA With our normal feeders, we get goldfinches, purple finches, northern orioles, catbirds, several kinds of sparrows all day long. When I throw out bread, the grackles are there in seconds, 10-15 at a time. We also enjoy the house wren who is nesting in our gourd, just off the patio. Doves and northern cardinals mostly in the evening.

Free said:
It would be interesting to see which is the commonest bird in each ones garden in differant parts of the World and in England in which county.

I am in Kent and its the Sparrow, No complaints i love em!

Anyone else?

Here in a mountain valley in northern California red crossbills have taken over all of my feeders. Have up to 30 at a time, and by sheer numbers and size are crowding out the grossbills, goldfinches, pine siskens, and nuthatches.

Craig :eek!:

As for feeders, — house finches (red and yellow) are the most prolific, and then there are scrub jays, wrentits, and chickadees. Can't manage to attract Goldfinches. Oops, just saw a Merlin.

-elkcub

Rainbow Lorikeets & Noisy Miners (Honeyeaters) were very busy gathering nectar from flowers in the garden today. Eastern Rosellas (parrots) visited and the Miners made quite a noise trying to drive them away. Miners are so territorial. It is strange because the parrots don't compete for the nectar and the Miners drive them away, whereas the Lorikeets are after the same flower nectar, but the Miners do not try to drive them away. Maybe they know the feisty Lorikeets will resist so they do not bother.

In Oklahoma right now, Cardinals in my garden.

In the spring and fall it is the large flocks of blackbirds that circulate through the countryside. Sometimes these number in the hundreds and close to 1,000 isn't that uncommon. I have seen them land in the development and they will be in most everyone's yard. (It is a small development.) They include Grackles, both common and great tailed, starlings, brown headed cowbirds and rusty, red winged and brewers blackbirds.

No sparrows of any kind in my part of North Cornwall. The most comon birds are Jackdaws but sometimes there are broods of Great tits and Greenfinches

I am in Lanarkshire Scotland and my split is between Greenfinch and Goldfinch. Blue, Great and Coal tits next. I have never seen a Sparrow since moving here 5 years ago from all of 8 miles away where my garden was full of them almost to the exclusion of all others.

Common garden bird

SE Arizona: It's Gambel's Quail, hands down, the parents teaching the young of all ages how to make scrapes for dust-bathing in the freshly turned beds. Second place to White-winged Dove.
Rick Wright
Tucson

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back