• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and Crab Apples (1 Viewer)

Could anyone kindly tell me which common British birds like to eat Crab Apples please?

I am a [fairly new] nature artist and I illustrate, design and publish my own limited edition calendars. My theme for 2008 is 'Best Dressed Birds' (sitting amongst associated flora). I have found some wonderful crab apples. But I have been unable to find out which birds like to eat them. I already have outline pictures for Jay, Starling, Sparrow, Bullfinch, Thrush and Blackbird, so these are ruled out for my crab apple/bird picture.

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from someone.

Tina

Hi tina welcome to bf i'll find out for you and im pretty sure some mods will as well
like painting hey may be you could be the next best nature artist

Thank you

lammy said:
Hi tina welcome to bf i'll find out for you and im pretty sure some mods will as well

Dear Lammy
Very many thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. My crab apples were picked last Wednesday, and if I move them they keep falling off the branch, so it is critical that I begin sketching very soon. Painting life-size from live subjects and material sometimes stretches one's talents!
T

Hi Tina,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I know that Great Spotted Woodpecker and Marsh Tit do feed on crab apple sometimes. I am sure there are others.

Thank you

robinm said:
Hi Tina,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I know that Great Spotted Woodpecker and Marsh Tit do feed on crab apple sometimes. I am sure there are others.

Dear Robinm
Many thanks: Only last week I took some photographs of a great spotted woodpecker at the bottom of my tiny wild garden (he was climbing an old electricity post!) I was going to portray him amongst the privet hedge on the old post, but now I can put him amongst the crab apples. I am most grateful.
I will do a green woodpecker on the post instead, as one did visit last year!
The marsh tit is a bit too far removed from my mainly garden birds theme, and I have never seen one in the flesh, so it would not be good to try to paint one without life experience.
I am glad I posted the request and am grateful for the replies.
T

Crab apples/birds

lammy said:

Dear Lammy
I have just heard from Robinm who mentioned that Great Spotted Woodpeckers eat crab apples, so I am going for that.
Very many thanks for your help.
T

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back