• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood carving (1 Viewer)

Steve Heath

Usually carve marine mammals but also enjoy sketching birds from life. Thought I'd have a go at carving with minimal detail, to convey a bird as a sketch in wood (hope that makes sense). Hope you can i.d. it (European birders) if not I'm going to stick to humpback whales|=)|

IMG_0047-1.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Last edited:
Usually carve marine mammals but also enjoy sketching birds from life. Thought I'd have a go at carving with minimal detail, to convey a bird as a sketch in wood (hope that makes sense). Hope you can i.d. it (European birders) if not I'm going to stick to humpback whales|=)|

IMG_0047-1.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

that's very smart with quality shape and just the basics of colour, not the full fiddlies of plumage

Many thanks for the comments.
Tim - acrylic sponged onto lime-wood and finished with beeswax. Usually post on the wood-carvers institute forum Mark so you may have seen this bird there. Familiar with your fantastic ringed plover. Here's a few more whale/dolphin carvings. Looking forward to posting sketches/carving and learning from the inspirational artists on this site. Have been pursuing bird photography for the last six years - because I have had limited field time and love coming home with images of what I've seen - sat down last weekend and did some sketching. What an epiphany! Have really, really missed it. Didn't pick the camera up for five hours, I was that absorbed. Best regards. Steve
DSCN3889.jpg

DSCN3888.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

commondolphin.jpg

Narwhals.jpg

Thanks again for the comments. The whales and dolphins are around a foot long. Go for it Osprey31 - I started by picking up a bird carving book four years ago. I've only done a few bird carvings but transferred the techniques to Marine Mammals. If you enjoy drawing and like the idea of going 3D wood is a great material. Most of my carvings are in European lime.
Here's a couple of good resources for wildlife carvers:
www.bdwca.org.uk/
http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=5
This second site has some fantastic demonstrations

Couple of watercolours

A couple of paintings from my own photos (before the photobug really got hold). Have decided to go pixel-free and focus on sketching and carving. Love other people's photos - e.g. fantastic stuff on bird forum - but never really got the excitement and complete involvement that sketching in the field gives or carving in my workshop. I shudder when I think how much I spent on photo gear and how I could never quite settle into the art-form. Live and learn I guess. I managed to swap some photo gear for a Swarokski scope and hoping to get some binos - can anyone recommend binos for sketching, for those times a scope isn't practical.

Attachments

• Steve Heath - Paintings & Sketches 006.jpg
    Steve Heath - Paintings & Sketches 006.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Steve Heath - Paintings & Sketches 012 (640x452).jpg
    Steve Heath - Paintings & Sketches 012 (640x452).jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 87
love the both of them, a bit on the dark side though...is your monitor calibrated? and could do with them being bit bigger..but great stuff, keep up the good work..mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back