• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

Short-toed Owl unblocked!!

First time that a SEO has been photographed on the reserve to my knowledge and now we have video footage to boot - nice work John and Jas.

Cheers Phil, I'm glad I managed to get any kind of footage given the conditions.

I had an enjoyable couple of hours at Upton this afternoon...a really good mix of species!

Short-toed Owl unblocked!!

First time that a SEO has been photographed on the reserve to my knowledge and now we have video footage to boot - nice work John and Jas.

A great return to form by Upton with a really varied list of species recorded today - who's the daddy??!!

PS Who saw the 8 Blackwits?

waiting for stats on SE owl:smoke:

Hi Phil,

A new species??

Did the bird get up and fly before you left? Would've liked to've got better views - maybe tomorrow..

Still hunkered down in the long grass when I left about 7:15 ish. Am aiming to get down early so will get any positive news out asap.

UW's year list now stands on 117 with 103 species recorded so far in April; many migrants and waders are still outstanding (Cuckoo, Gropper, Whitethroat, Dunlin, Greenshank, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier etc etc).

Middleton Lakes has 130 whilst Belvide is top of the pops with 139.

waiting for stats on SE owl:smoke:

Am I that predictable? :eek!:

There have been 29 records of Short-eared Owl at Upton Warren since the first sighting on the 3rd December 1974. These records show a spike a occurrences in October and November with a secondary peak in March and April, presumably as birds moved to and from their upland breeding sites. There was a cluster of sightings between 1987 and 1994 with 16 birds in 8 years; the last 13 years have just seen just 6 records (mostly single observer fly-overs).

Attachments

• SEO.png
    SEO.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Gaz was still watching it at 8pm+.
B :)

I stayed until about 8.45pm when a couple more would-be Robin Hoods appeared.;) Actually, they were really nice fellows and I let them look at the owl through my scope. I think they were quite impressed.:t:

Hopefully it will be there tomorrow for those who were unable to get there today. Incidentally, it was originally seen on Thursday evening at 7.20pm according to the entry in the Flashes log book:eek!:

I've just been searching through the dross on my camera for that so-called "better" shot you referred to earlier, John. I'm not sure which one it is, but here are a couple of record (I always thought it was a euphemism for "crap", Gav) shots anyway:

Attachments

• Short-eared Owl.jpg
    Short-eared Owl.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF4249.JPG
    DSCF4249.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 139
...(I always thought it was a euphemism for "crap", Gav) shots anyway:

That's how use the term, mate!

There's another term too though. That's when the bird is only identifiable by the person taking the shot... known locally as a Redshank (but that's another story, from a couple of years ago).

I stayed until about 8.45pm when a couple more would-be Robin Hoods appeared.;) Actually, they were really nice fellows and I let them look at the owl through my scope. I think they were quite impressed.:t:

I've just been searching through the dross on my camera for that so-called "better" shot you referred to earlier, John. I'm not sure which one it is, but here are a couple of record (I always thought it was a euphemism for "crap", Gav) shots anyway:

Were they wearing green tights, with their bows and arrows...red indians where I come from, obviously a better class in Worcester8-P:frog:

Told you yours was better.:t:

Saturday 28th April

I undertook a trial run for next Saturday's all-dayer; by the time I left at 2:50pm (having started at 5:50am) some 77 species had been recorded. Many thanks to Wheatearlrp, Woodchat, Spoonbill Finder, Dave Jackson and Martin Smith for their sightings in addition to what I recorded.

MOORS POOL
2 Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Shoveler (m), 2 Teal (ff), 1 Gadwall (m), 28 Tufted Duck, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swan, 1 Cormorant, 3 Common Tern, 2 Little Grebe, 4 GC Grebe, Whitethroat near East Hide, 2 Willow Warblers on east side. female White Wagtail in Amy's Marsh, Hobby, Peregrine, 3 (possibly 4) Yellow Wagtails in Amys Marsh - a pair followed by a brighter male and then a male that might have been a new bird or the male from the pair, first winter Med Gull, 2 Herring Gull, 2 LBB Gull, Kingfisher, Jay, Kestrel, 100+ Swallows, several small parties of Swift, family party of Moorhen on North Moors.

FLASHES
Sadly no sign of yesterday's Short-eared Owl. 9 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, 4 LRP, 1 Common Sandpiper, 5 Lapwing, Shelduck, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Gadwall, Common Gull, 7 Coot, 1 Herring Gull, 4 LBB Gull, 3 Rook in transmitter field. Med Gull relocated to the Flashes early afternoon.

SAILING POOL
50+ Swallows, Grey Wagtail, 6 GC Grebe, 2 Coot

EDUCATION RESERVE
Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler

Whilst not reaching yesterday's heights, 3 new species for the reserve this year (Garden W, Med Gull and Whitethroat) was a good return on a cold and blustery day. The reserve's year list now stands on 120; the month list is 106 (will be interesting to see if May will produce a larger number of species)

The next few days look really promising with strong E / NE winds tomorrow accompanied by rain followed by several further days of easterlies combined with some rain but also some marked increases to the temperature. There will hopefully be a lot of significant passage iminently.

Last edited:
Short-eared Owl

If anyone has any photos of yesterday's Short-eared Owl and are happy that they are included in the 2012 Annual Report (with accreditation) could they send them to me via a PM.

Many Thanks
Phil

A Very Brief Visit

Possibly my shortest visit ever to Upton, due to the accompanying 9 year old daughter who's upset stomach caused a sharp exit (that's another story)
(Phil, it will happen to you in 5 or 6 years mate!)
Still, managed to actually see my first sedge warbler of the year and also my first swift. Bizarrely, my second swift of the year flew into the East Hide and flapped around like a bat, until the old boy in the hide with us scooped it off the floor where it lay spread-eagled, and chucked it out the window whereupon it whizzed off seemingly unscathed! I can't recall ever seeing a swift on the deck, let alone in a hide - cracking close up views!
SEO remains the deepest, blackest hole on my Upton list (along with Rock Pipit) and a cursory look from the archery field was not rewarded.
As we left, I noticed Trace heading that way - I should have followed him!
I don't lose sleep these days with missing birds at Upton, thank goodness, I just get excited for anyone who is there when it happens. JTB's description of the owl re-find, live from the field, gave me as much pleasure as seeing any bird on the reserve myself.
That said, I'm really looking forward to next Saturday, where I shall be hitting the place hard (in a sort of roll up at 6.30am kinda way) The day-list record is mine....all mine!!!!

Good to know that the SEO is still around; you may get another chance yet Paul!

That increases the day list to 78. Birds not recorded included Curlew, Coal Tit, Raven, Goldcrest and Mistle Thrush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back